Strange home wiring problem (mud curse?) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pick up that rake and get back to work.

illegal_aliens.jpg

there's no way that panel is code today without disconnect, maybe in 1978 but not now. Home Inspectors don't have to take a class in most states to call themselves ones, call that dude up and tell him your issue and that you're calling an electrician and he's paying for it....and I hope it wan't on his report and you guys just didn't read it.

Call up an electrician and have them replace the entire panel. Think of it as a "house warming" gift for your daughter. Now would be the perfect time to upgrade to a 200 amp service for any future electrical additions.

Not a bad idea, but I'd hate to drop a grand on a panel installed and still have this weird electrical problem. I'm calling around to the guys I knew when I worked construction years ago, getting recommendations for an electrician who will work for all the beer he can drink.

there's no way that panel is code today without disconnect, maybe in 1978 but not now. Home Inspectors don't have to take a class in most states to call themselves ones, call that dude up and tell him your issue and that you're calling an electrician and he's paying for it....and I hope it wan't on his report and you guys just didn't read it.

It was up to code then and is legal. Talked to him, he recommended getting an electrician on his paperwork, noted various small issues like the outlet I already fixed. I'm not sure I can hold him to fix this weird short or whatever it is, not something that can normally be detected without disconnecting the circuit. Everything on the circuit tested good when it was hooked up. I'll get it fixed one way or the other, it doesn't sound like I've missed anything obvious.

Last edited:
jesus dude, do you really think an electrician is gonna install a new panel for free beer? In this economy?

Ok, beer for his whole family then. I can't find electricians to hire at my shop, but machine and industrial electricians are totally different from residential and commercial, those guys are unemployed and living under bridges and s***. I'll troll the shelter after work, see what crawls up.

Last edited:
I can't find electricians to hire at my shop, but machine and industrial electricians are totally different from residential and commercial, those guys are unemployed and living under bridges and s***. I'll troll the shelter after work, see what crawls up.

Excellent, nothing can possibly go wrong having a homeless man rewire your daughter's house.

Great plan. And your insurance company thanks you in advance.

It was up to code then and is legal. Talked to him, he recommended getting an electrician on his paperwork, noted various small issues like the outlet I already fixed. I'm not sure I can hold him to fix this weird short or whatever it is, not something that can normally be detected without disconnecting the circuit. Everything on the circuit tested good when it was hooked up. I'll get it fixed one way or the other, it doesn't sound like I've missed anything obvious.

Just the mere fact you have to pull the meter for disconnect is enough of a reason, ever seen one explode when doing it? I have, FD's no longer do it for house fires because of that. I can see what you're saying about the issue not showing itself but now you are aware of the safety issues you or your daughter are gonna need to upgrade that panel. btw, we just had a house fire last week in a million dollar home, cause was a short in the elec panel, did a s*** load of damage.

Just the mere fact you have to pull the meter for disconnect is enough of a reason, ever seen one explode when doing it? I have, FD's no longer do it for house fires because of that. I can see what you're saying about the issue not showing itself but now you are aware of the safety issues you or your daughter are gonna need to upgrade that panel. btw, we just had a house fire last week in a million dollar home, cause was a short in the elec panel, did a s*** load of damage.

Two different issues. The problem that didn't show itself needs to be dealt with, but first I need to figure out what the problem is. The panel may be the fix, maybe not. It needs to be updated, but I'll deal with that when I know there's not a short somewhere in the house. The fact that the house is between two churches might be the only reason it hasn't gone up in flames already.

Hopefully the homeless, drunk electrician will find the problem and not move his family into the empty house.

topgun don't you have some friends in the electrical business?.....I'm sure you get one of them to look at the panel on the side for some beer money..

topgun don't you have some friends in the electrical business?.....I'm sure you get one of them to look at the panel on the side for some beer money..

That's kind of what this thread has been about for the past 14 posts.

look Scott, i will not touch that, you will just have to get the homeless man.

you keep speaking of a short, if there is a short and breakers are not tripping, that is a fire hazard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom