Stopped by to say hi, and rebuilding my LX450 "Rex" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NeverFinis

SILVER Star
Threads
Just stopping by to say hello from a former charter member of the club. I have been out of the sport for a long time. Time...money...kids in college..you know the situation.

I will be rebuilding my LX450 starting in a few months, and hopefully will be done the following Spring (2022).

My main purpose is to build a comfortable, reliable and robust overland vehicle that could possibly be used for full time anywhere.

It won't be used on local trails since I want to make sure "Vehicle Preservation" is a priority for overlanding trips. (similar to Dirt Sunrise and The Road Chose Me)

I started thinking about the process here: Overlanding a LX450

I just participated in a group buy for a drawer system and tailgate cover and then added a 270 awning, and a Penthouse XL roof tent, all from Rugged Bound. They source their parts from Big Country 4x4 in South Africa. Rack Drawer and Gull Wing group buy

I have an extended range fuel tank, and I need to replace the OEM tank due to small leaks.

I will add Delta VS front and rear bumpers. I am not sure if I will use my current 8000 lb ramsey winch from my 85 4Runner, or buy a new winch. Probably the latter.

I am still research kitchen/cooking station for the rear bumper. The idea is that everything needs to be setup within 5-10 minutes of stopping for camp...tent up, awning out, cooking station read to go.

I want to put in a new/reman engine (1FZ-FE), and replace anything that is of question in the engine bay, and drivetrain. I might source a local land cruiser mechanic to put together a new OEM 1FZ-FE engine. (S)He has to know what (s)he is doing...#1 reliability..

I have noticed that part manufacturers have come a long way the last 5-10 years...nice! Those Delta VS bumpers..wow...

I might start a build thread in the FJ80 forum once I get further along. Wife has named the LX450 "Rex". It has to have a name for a build thread...lol.

Anyway, I am now accumulating parts and knowledge.

Welcome Back. I you need another stock tank. I have a tank out of my 93 sitting in my shop in Chelmsford, would let it go for a very fair price. If you are interested send me a PM.

Welcome Back. I you need another stock tank. I have a tank out of my 93 sitting in my shop in Chelmsford, would let it go for a very fair price. If you are interested send me a PM.
Any chance you have a good filler neck as well?

Unfortunately no. I cut the body up down in VA at a friends shop. I left the entire body down at his shop. When I email you today, I will send you a list of parts that I have in case you want need or want anything else. I want to clean out my shop, so anything I don't need is up for sale. If I had to replace my filer neck, I would use fuel rated hose, and any bends I would use hard pipe. This way you should never have to worry about it again.

I believe Ryan at OTRAMM might be making replacement filler tubes in stainless.
We ended up builind a new one out of straight tube, some rubber fuel filler hose and clamps. It came out decent (not restoratoin worthy, but is clean and safe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom