Rack Drawer and Gull Wing group buy intro special (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RuggedBound

Supporting Vendor
Threads
As promised, we are offering a group buy exclusively to the IH8MUD and GXOR forum (this forum link will be posted in GXOR on FB also) to celebrate our IH8MUD vendor account launch.

For those who missed our forum introduction: we are a Houston, TX based importer & distributor for South African off-road brands who are not yet present in the US. We have spent the last 18+ months creating the foundation for our company and had booths at Overland Expo West & East '19, sponsored KOAR.UP in Michigan this year and set up several product ambassadors to help get some products out there and in the hands of future customers.

About Big Country 4x4: Big Country 4x4 has been manufacturing Land Rover and Land Cruiser products for 2+ decades in South Africa and we are the proud distributors of their products. While they have a 200+ page catalog we have started with a core group: The Ostrich Wing 270 awning, the Penthouse XL hard shell RTT and selectively brought their welded roof racks and Savute series of drawers over as well and worked hard to establish a local inventory while *no-one* knew anything about the brand. To help introduce them to the US market we produced a short company profile video posted to our youtube channel:
Richard.JPG

To celebrate our MUD vendor status we are offering to following amazing deals. There will be a lot of questions about the products and we will answer them all as fast as we can - but please check out the product brochures on the racks and drawers attached.

Shipping: Freight (racks) and UPS Ground (drawers and gull wings) from Houston via our discounted rates: budget for $150 for a rack or drawer. We will however quote these out for every sale and charge you exactly the resulting cost, no more.
Timing: This group buy will coincide with our 1st shipment of 2021, scheduled for mid-March departure, mid-April arrival.
Limits: We will limit this offer to the first 30 racks, 30 drawers and 30 sets of Gull Wings
Offer cut-off is Feb 15 - but may be revised if possible within our logistics constraints
Payments: 50% deposit secures your build, balance due by Feb 20th
To order: PM us on MUD your order, email address, shipping address and phone number MUD - invoice will be raised via our website.

---- Admin Edit: you need to FIRST reply in this thread THEN use the PM system

Roof Racks: (fully welded aluminum from all custom extrusions, mounted via custom 3/16" thick tracks fixed to OEM holes, no rivet nuts, no rack assembly needed - ready to mount)
GX460 MSRP $1495 Group Buy $930 + freight from Houston (budget for $150)
GX470 MSRP $1495 Group Buy $930 + freight from Houston (budget for $150)

3 feet per side, 530lb dynamic load rating

Savute Drawers: (galvanized steel, aluminum, black powder coat, automotive carpet cover, side trim panels (except GX460 seat mount)
These drawers are made only for these vehicles and provide 18% more space inside while also being lower profile than most other brands
GX460 floor mount MSRP $1650 Group Buy $1050 + freight from Houston (budget for $150)
GX460 seat mount MSRP $1410 Group Buy $845 + freight from Houston (budget for $150)
GX470 floor mount MSRP $1650 Group Buy $1050 + freight from Houston (budget for $150)

Gull Wings:

Made from 2 layers of aluminum sheeting, laser cut and roll formed to fit the vehicle perfectly. Dustproof, waterproof, lockable and gas strut operated. These are unique on the market since they do require drilling and sit one the window seal, not in the window seal. They are not to everyone's taste as they are extremely heavy duty and not sleek and not everyone will want to mount our custom, heavy duty tracks to their vehicle to mount the hinges. That is OK - we are catering for a very specific need. If you want to reverse back to the OEM windows or are concerned about resale value these are not for you. If you are building a rig that will be kept, or sold as a rig and looking for a heavy duty solution: these are for you.
GX470 MSRP $1100 per pair Group Buy $835 per pair (free shipping Lower 48)
GX460: We will be offering these by April 2021 if there is enough demand - bonded windows require a more involved removal process
Keep in mind: drilling is required, and these are sided, not universal

Land Cruiser 200 example:
LC200-Roof-rack-2.jpg

GX470 Gull Wings

V110-Prado120-Gullwings-7.jpg

Let the questions begin!
Theo

Attachments

• A4 Brochure_Roofracks.pdf
    7.4 MB · Views: 322
  • Drawers Brochure.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 277
Last edited by a moderator:
Update: Thank you for all the messages and strong interest. 3 units already spoken for in 2 days and we have not yet launched the 80/100/200/70-79 series Group Buys. GX FTW!

Some common questions sent to our inbox:
1. Do these drawers cover the middle row? No, they end at the middle row seat back.
2. Do we have a middle row seat-delete kit? Not yet - likely not in time for this group buy but we are going to run a poll to hear what you guys want from a product like that. If you want a sleeping platform and also want it to be temporary (i.e. sits over the folded-down middle row) we will try to incorporate that. Tell us your needs!
3. Is the rack really fully welded? What about the corner pieces? Yes, they are really fully welded. The load bars are dove-tailed into the perimeter extrusion (1/8" thick aluminum) and welded into position. The floor planks are welded to the load bars. The corners are cast aluminum. Everything on the rack is custom made: cast, extruded, bent and welded. Every model vehicle has its own rack with its load bars spaced appropriately for that vehicle's A, B, C pillars.
4. Load rating on the racks: 40N per foot dynamic load rating for the Big Country 4x4 designed feet and racks. 6 footed rack results in 240N rated rack, i.e. 528lb. 8 footed rack = 704lb.
5. Can I walk on the rack? Yes you can. Because the rack is a welded lattice it handles point loads extremely well by spreading the load across the roof.
6. Gull Wings: do they have MOLLE panels? We are working on adding that as an optional extra. The gull wings are heavy duty, thick aluminum and adding basic mounting points to place a raised MOLLE panel on the inside is fairly easy. You can also drill straight through to place axe, maxtrack, spade etc mounts with through-bolts. These gull wings are made to be used.

Question. Do rear cargo metal nets such as the Ragofabrications one work with your drawers or would they collide?

The reason I ask is because I think those do work with the dobinson drawers.

Question. Do rear cargo metal nets such as the Ragofabrications one work with your drawers or would they collide?

The reason I ask is because I think those do work with the dobinson drawers.

Quick answer: cargo nets most often do work, you might need to do some trimming to the side panels (wood - no big deal) but aftermarket rear door flip-down tables tend to come out much further than the OEM rear door pocket, and may well interfere.

Big County 4x4 will be coming out with their own flip-down table that is thin profile and works with their drawers.

Keep in mind, the main purpose of this drawer is to maximize loading space. The right drawer also has a flip-up working surface which is much larger than a flip-down table.

GX470 Gull Wing Window listing now live on our website.

Last edited:
@RuggedBound
Would you be able to provide some measurements for us for the distance between the sliders installed on the gx470 and the distance they have when the door is closed between the sliders and the door panel itself?

@RuggedBound
Would you be able to provide some measurements for us for the distance between the sliders installed on the gx470 and the distance they have when the door is closed between the sliders and the door panel itself?
We will get you that measurement but I can confirm it is too tight for the typical aftermarket flip down tables, about 1.5-2” IIRC. Big Country 4x4 are busy making slim design flip down tables that work specifically with their drawers as a result. We will have those on group buy here also for the first batch.

How's the wind noise with those 470 roof racks, and are there any deflectors available?

Stoked on this offer, thanks for putting it together for us!

How's the wind noise with those 470 roof racks, and are there any deflectors available?

Thanks for the question - it is a good one! Short answer: you do not need one with this rack, it is quiet by design.

This design has been around for about 30 years in South Africa and the wind noise is not significant at highway speeds. It is a result of the basic design features of an expedition platform rack.

1. Front-to-back floor plank design
2. No top lip/edge (i.e. completely flat profile on top)
3. Supporting load bars are retained "inside" the perimeter extrusion's shadow
4. Big Country 4x4 mounting feet use OEM mount points and in some cases their own tracks - but never laser cut side "mounting walls" that have become popular over the past few years - these impact turbulent flow under the rack leading to more noise unless managed by a deflector up front.

End result: an extremely quiet roof rack that has no buffeting and negligible wind noise, by design.

I have had this rack on my GX460 for about a month and can honestly say I’ve driven a lot of highway miles with 0 noticeable wind noise. My avg speed is 85 mph I’ve never heard this thing.

Previously I’ve had 2 sedans with Yakima racks that all needed fairings as they were very noisy so it was a big concern for me as well.

This rack is less noticeable than my Yakima racks with fairings on them.

@RuggedBound
It is very low profile - the drawer is designed to not waste any space and maximize storage. As a result, the space is only about 18mm at the top center edge of the drawer.

This means most 3rd party flip-down tables wont be compatible - but Big Country 4x4 will be making a compatible flip down table to work within this limit.

The drawers have a built-in work surface, simply slide the right hand drawer open and you have a table the length of the drawer (37"). This should eliminate the need for a flip down table for most folks especially if you use the left hand drawer to store the items you would normally use on the table.

Theo

Group Buy update:
We are adding the full and half-perimeter expedition top rails ("basket" rails) to the group buy due to popular demand. These are a bolt-on optional extra.

Full Perimeter top rails: MSRP $280 Group Buy $196
Half Perimeter top rails: MSRP $155 Group Buy $109

Free shipping if included with the roof rack order

top rails example:
thumbnail_image1.jpg

Last edited:
Group Buy update:
We are adding the full and half-perimeter expedition top rails ("basket" rails) to the group buy due to popular demand. These are a bolt-on optional extra.

Full Perimeter top rails: MSRP $280 Group Buy $196
Half Perimeter top rails: MSRP $155 Group Buy $109

Free shipping if included with the roof rack order

top rails example:
View attachment 2538126
Great pic. Can you post a pic of the half-perimeter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom