Build an overlanding LX450? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NeverFinis

SILVER Star
Threads
My wife and I are thinking about the next step in life now that our kids have finished college, and next year we are considering selling the house and overlanding for a few years.

My main concern is reliability. My wife would not like breaking down off the beaten path. She is risk averse, while I would consider it as part of the adventure. Happy Wife, Happy Life, as they say.

With that in mind, I am considering buying new ($50K-60K) or....building my LX450 (<$20K).

I gave my parked LX450 a look over, and rust is reasonable. Rear axle is rusting a bit, and the rear crossmember is rusting but not show stoppers. No significant rust on the body that I can see other than the front lip of the hood and front bumper, which I will fix/replace. The LX450 has good components. E-lockers, 2" OME lift, with caster correction, with 33" GoodYear Wrangler AT. Aluminum Radiator. New brake lines. New brakes (should be resurfaced). I have an auxiliary extended range fuel tank ready to be put in. I have a new exhaust system also ready to be put in.

Also, when it was parked, it was leaking oil in the cooling system. 200K miles on the original motor. I did the HG but there was corrosion pitting on the block that might be cause of the oil leaking into the coolant passages. The motor was only 6 years old with 90K miles at the time. I am thinking putting in a new short block, or a remanufactured motor to rectify that and to improve reliability. Probably the former. The main gas tank has a pinhole leak, but I now see you can purchase new tanks for a reasonable cost.

New short block/reman long block, new gas tank, new front and rear bumpers and hood, roof top tent, drawer system /w kitchen.... I am not seeing a ton of money here...at least not compared to a new vehicle. I am not changing the size of the lift or tires. It will stay the same since some countries will either fine you, block importation, or use it as a way to extract bribes for excessive lift, or tires beyond the fender wells.

The big downside is the 1FZ-FE is really really underpowered, and gets poor fuel economy compared to newer motor designs. I am ok with both other than it limits range, but the extended fuel tank should help with that. Not looking to swap to a different type of motor. The big question is can I build the LX450 as reliable as a new vehicle.

Just thinking out loud. What would you do?

My wife and I are thinking about the next step in life now that our kids have finished college, and next year we are considering selling the house and overlanding for a few years.

My main concern is reliability. My wife would not like breaking down off the beaten path. She is risk averse, while I would consider it as part of the adventure. Happy Wife, Happy Life, as they say.

With that in mind, I am considering buying new ($50K-60K) or....building my LX450 (<$20K).

I gave my parked LX450 a look over, and rust is reasonable. Rear axle is rusting a bit, and the rear crossmember is rusting but not show stoppers. No significant rust on the body that I can see other than the front lip of the hood and front bumper, which I will fix/replace. The LX450 has good components. E-lockers, 2" OME lift, with caster correction, with 33" GoodYear Wrangler AT. Aluminum Radiator. New brake lines. New brakes (should be resurfaced). I have an auxiliary extended range fuel tank ready to be put in. I have a new exhaust system also ready to be put in.

Also, when it was parked, it was leaking oil in the cooling system. 200K miles on the original motor. I did the HG but there was corrosion pitting on the block that might be cause of the oil leaking into the coolant passages. The motor was only 6 years old with 90K miles at the time. I am thinking putting in a new short block, or a remanufactured motor to rectify that and to improve reliability. Probably the former. The main gas tank has a pinhole leak, but I now see you can purchase new tanks for a reasonable cost.

New short block/reman long block, new gas tank, new front and rear bumpers and hood, roof top tent, drawer system /w kitchen.... I am not seeing a ton of money here...at least not compared to a new vehicle. I am not changing the size of the lift or tires. It will stay the same since some countries will either fine you, block importation, or use it as a way to extract bribes for excessive lift, or tires beyond the fender wells.

The big downside is the 1FZ-FE is really really underpowered, and gets poor fuel economy compared to newer motor designs. I am ok with both other than it limits range, but the extended fuel tank should help with that. Not looking to swap to a different type of motor. The big question is can I build the LX450 as reliable as a new vehicle.

Just thinking out loud. What would you do?

I'm not looking ahead for international travel but am looking at long term reliability too. Robbie Antonson's rebuild is one I'm seriously considering. I'm at 264k miles so still have some life but considering his rebuild based on mud rec's and several threads for his work. If not him then there are other's for that level of rebuild. He also does a 4.6L high pressure for a little more N/A power. Great build and info here Builds - Front Range CO Build - BerettaMato

I'm not looking ahead for international travel but am looking at long term reliability too. Robbie Antonson's rebuild is one I'm seriously considering. I'm at 264k miles so still have some life but considering his rebuild based on mud rec's and several threads for his work. If not him then there are other's for that level of rebuild. He also does a 4.6L high pressure for a little more N/A power. Great build and info here Builds - Front Range CO Build - BerettaMato

Great thread...I will check it out.

I'd build the 80. It's already lifted with larger tires, that'd be a decent size expense with a new vehicle. With the lockers and solid axle it's going to be more capable than 90% of the vehicles out there, and chances are much better that you'll be able to fix it yourself (or find someone to fix it) if something breaks and you're not close to a city. One of the main reasons I'm a huge fan of the FZJ80 is that I feel it bridges the gap between rock-solid older 4x4's and newer rigs with more complex systems (but greater comfort, power, and economy). I see my rig as a blank canvas which is fantastic stock or I can modify if those things are important to me. It's also the perfect size, not small but not huge. Look at all the different builds here, from grocery getter to hardcore rock crawler to world traveler. I literally don't think there's a more versatile rig out there.

You might not get out of it what you put into it, but you won't take the huge depreciation hit of a new vehicle, and there's the possibility that if/when you're ready to sell it they'll have continued to climb in value (putting you closer to break even).

Rebuild the engine and add the Wits' End Turbo Kit for more HP and torque to push around a heavy truck.

Go through the brakes to make sure all parts are up to the heavy task and don't lose them in the mountains.

My thoughts (I'm cranky today, so bear with me)
  • your wife is risk averse, but she's willing to live on the road for a few years? Sounds like a pipe dream to me
  • For two people living on the road for a few years, I would be looking into a van or full size pickup with a camper. 80 doesn't have enough space, it will get old fast.
  • You are unnecessarily limiting your options by choosing either a brand new $60k vehicle or your old 80. I'm thinking low mileage Tundra or the like. No need to blow 60k on a brand new vehicle when a newish used one will give you ostensibly the same reliability for half the cost.
To the tech: yes I think you can make the 80 basically as reliable as any newer vehicle, but you'd have to go through and rebuild everything. Not just a rebuilt motor, but every last belt, hose, seal and grommet. What does your wife think about water coming in the sunroof? How would she handle her window getting stuck down or exhaust coming into the cab? There's a lot to go through if you really want to bring it to "picky wife" standard of reliability (not being a jerk, I suffer from "picky wife" as well). Another thing to consider: no vehicle is perfectly reliable, not even a new one, so you should think about parts availability and what you would trust the Joe Blow mechanic in East Bumblefork to fix. For that reason, you may want to think about a newer vehicle--or look at the areas you plan to visit and see what's the common platform there.

And back away from tech, a lot of people think they need a cool "overland" vehicle and a whole industry has sprouted up around this fad. It doesn't have to have character, charm, amazing offroad prowess or an instagram following. In fact, all you need is a vehicle. My folks lived for months in Mexico in a Chrysler mini van, going weeks at a time without touching pavement. I would choose a domestic full size (van or truck), Toyota Sienna or tundra, or even a tacoma with a slide-in camper before an 80 for two people for this purpose.

Reach out to @SOAZtim and check out their dirt sunrise video series on youtube. They have been traveling/living out of their cruiser and have it well documented.

Reach out to @SOAZtim and check out their dirt sunrise video series on youtube. They have been traveling/living out of their cruiser and have it well documented.
Admire them and what they do and I love the 80 more than any other vehicle out there. That said, no way I'd be doing what they do in an 80 especially without a trailer - full size pick up with a slide in would be leaps and bounds better.

And back away from tech, a lot of people think they need a cool "overland" vehicle and a whole industry has sprouted up around this fad. It doesn't have to have character, charm, amazing offroad prowess or an instagram following.

This is so true, much of what we buy isn't necessary. Often times I'll set usage benchmarks for myself before buying something for the rig, "go camping/wheeling at least ____ times in the next three months and you can buy that new ____". I really enjoy building the rig but often times work gets in the way of me actually using it (or I let myself make that excuse).

..she's willing to live on the road for a few years..
..80 doesn't have enough space, it will get old fast.
.. if you really want to bring it to "picky wife" standard of reliability
.. In fact, all you need is a vehicle...
A lot of the above is true.

I spent a year travelling the PanAm with family/kids + trailer. Loved it but you learn what works and whats needed. Kids flown the coop now so just 2 of us.
Still running RTT 5 years later ("settled" last 4 years) but will be converting 80 to custom cabin in rear. Poptop looks good and fits a need but you'll struggle with limitations on size within 80 rear (Dirt Sunrise agrees as well).
Short-term you can juggle but longer term travel you'll need something else.

Let me say all options are on the table and I am still considering them. My first choice was to buy a 40' sailboat and cruise the world. She isn't up for that because she thinks it is risky. That doesn't mean she isn't up for overlanding. She is more risk averse than me but pretty much everyone is compared to me. We have overlanded in the past but it wasn't called that when we did it, it was just normal car camping. :)

Here is us in the Badlands. Family of 5 tenting it across the US.

1598537649031.png

I haven't posted here for a long time, but I have been a member of this forum since 2005. I know my LX450 and 4Runner inside and out. I am very comfortable diagnosing issues, and fixing them, unlike other makes/models. I know the history of my LX450, and I know what needs to be repaired. A used vehicle would have so many unknowns. I wouldn't have the same knowledge base.

Her main concern is that she just doesn't want to be broken down in an older vehicle if she could help it. I don't blame her. She isn't picky by an stretch. So, problem I am trying to solve is reliability.

My current list:
1) New Ford Tremor with Four Wheel Camper's Hawk.
2) New Jeep Gladiator Mojave with bed camper (not a FCA fan).
3) Turn my LX450 into an overlander.

I have considered vans, namely the new Ford Transit 250/350HD 4x4. Sprinters are expensive to maintain, and can only be serviced by a subset of MB dealers. Plus the diesel sulfur issue...I think the Tremor/Gladiator/LX450 just gives more flexibility since we already have a 30' camper and I would have to build out a van. Tremor plus lightweight slide in Four Wheel camper would be impressively capable. Think Turtle Expedition,. but that would be about $100K to put that together. I could add the slide-in a few years down the road, and tow the our camper in the meantime.

One of the main reasons I'm a huge fan of the FZJ80 is that I feel it bridges the gap between rock-solid older 4x4's and newer rigs with more complex systems (but greater comfort, power, and economy)

Exactly. From the above list, the Ford Tremor is huge (being too huge is my main concern), while the Gladiator is on the small size. The LX450 fits nicely between the two. Plus, I really wouldn't care if the LX450 gets body damage, or if I have to abandoned it in another country for some reason....as far as buying used, I looked at older 100 series for my area I wasn't impressed. High miles and in poor condition. It appears that the 80s are commanding a higher resale value now compared to the first few years of the 100 series. Later low mile 100/200 series are in Tremor territory for cost and I rather buy that because it takes a slide-in camper, plus new warranty. I have put a ton of miles on Fords (>650,000) in the last 20 years and I have no issues with them. The 7.3L gas motor is a game changer.

You might not get out of it what you put into it, but you won't take the huge depreciation hit of a new vehicle, and there's the possibility that if/when you're ready to sell it they'll have continued to climb in value (putting you closer to break even).

Also true...I would lose more in deprecation than it would probably cost me to throw a new engine into the LX450, and put a roof top tent on it. I

My plan:
Phase 1 would be to tow our camper to a central location, and then venture out within a few hundred miles for 1-7 days. The camper will give us a comfortable home base to return to.

Phase 2 would be to sell the 30' camper and just use the tow vehicle. We would do this when we venture outside of US/Canada and when we are ready to downsize. I do think a slide-in/truck would be better for this stage than an LX450 + rooftop tent.

I don't think I have run across them yet. I will check them out.

And back away from tech, a lot of people think they need a cool "overland" vehicle and a whole industry has sprouted up around this fad. It doesn't have to have character, charm, amazing offroad prowess or an instagram following. In fact, all you need is a vehicle. My folks lived for months in Mexico in a Chrysler mini van, going weeks at a time without touching pavement. I would choose a domestic full size (van or truck), Toyota Sienna or tundra, or even a tacoma with a slide-in camper before an 80 for two people for this purpose.

the young 20 something dime in yoga pants to reel in the insta followers is a must to go along with the $150k sprinter van though.

Rebuild the engine and add the Wits' End Turbo Kit for more HP and torque to push around a heavy truck.

Go through the brakes to make sure all parts are up to the heavy task and don't lose them in the mountains.

Thanks for the pointers. I stumbled across that turbo kit on the web before posting this topic and I wasn't sure if it was real or vaporware. I located the thread....long one... :(

The turbo kit is very real. I have one :)

Haha, reading my post from yesterday I think I was ascribing more of my wife's characteristics than warranted. If you're cool with spending the money, Ford Tremor plus a cragislist slide-in sounds like the ticket to me. I

I've also fantasized about sailing around the world--definitely a pipe dream for me.

I want to do the same thing in retirement someday. I don't thing the 80 is a good platform for this. Having a towable trailer you can live in is a much better overall solution along with a decent tow vehicle that gets decent mileage.

The turbo kit is very real. I have one :)

Haha, reading my post from yesterday I think I was ascribing more of my wife's characteristics than warranted. If you're cool with spending the money, Ford Tremor plus a cragislist slide-in sounds like the ticket to me. I

I've also fantasized about sailing around the world--definitely a pipe dream for me.

ah Sailboats...probably researched that one for a good 6+ months before I gave up trying to convince the wife... but no worries about wives. :rofl:

Turbo = Nice..and I also see the old S/C is also going into production...but next March.

Advice I have read, if you had to choose, always go with a new vehicle over a new camper. Used camper issues won't leave you stranded. Seems wise advice.

The 2021 Ford Tremor will have a factory winch option, backed by factory warranty. The 2021 build configurator isn't up yet, so I have a month or two of waiting. My possible 2020 Tremor build: 2020 Tremor Buying a Tremor (or Gladiator) would certainly mean that major vehicles issues would probably not be an issue for a number of years.

Just an XLT, cloth seats, no center console, no carpet, rubber mats, solid front axle, lockers, 33" fording depth, 7.3L V8 (simple engine design, lightweight compared to diesel, enough power). The downside is it won't fit in a 20' shipping containing, so it will be more expensive than a LX450 or Gladiator to ship across oceans.

Not an FCA fan, so the Gladiator is probably a distant third. It would also be in the mid to high $50K like the Tremor, and then I would still have to make it into an overlander. No camper slider, but they do make basic camper shells, but they would be much smaller than what I could do with the tremor.

I want to do the same thing in retirement someday. I don't thing the 80 is a good platform for this. Having a towable trailer you can live in is a much better overall solution along with a decent tow vehicle that gets decent mileage.

Yea..mileage...no arguments there. the 7.3L Ford produces twice the power, while getting better mileage, while moving a much bigger vehicle. My LX450 was around 13 mpg after the EPA mandated 10% ethanol.

I think if you want to really see the world via vehicle, a traditional camper becomes a problem. I just watched Dan, from The Road Chose Me, series on his drive around Africa. He really offers really good advice on what it takes (and does not take) to overland across another continent. I do think one really needs to live small to do it successfully. I am not sure we will be able to do what he did, but it is something I am striving for. He had a Jeep Rubicon with a camper shell that replaced his roof. It was just him though. It took him 3 years to drive around Africa.

Finally, I was recently "negotiating" with a Ford Dealer about purchasing a Tremor. He didn't think it was fair that I was cross shopping a Gladiator with a Tremor. Both are about the same price, although the Gladiator had more options (LED headlights, adaptive cruise control). To me, one is just a smaller version of the other, and both could be overlanded. Both solid axles front and rear. Both four door. Both pickups. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, but.... jeep :(

I've often thought about this very topic. Mind you, I don't have the money to pull it off - yet. But I have given a good deal of consideration to a full-size truck build. Personally the only drawback I see (cost aside) is the long wheel base when trying to navigate tight trails. Sure, you probably don't want a rock buggy if you're wanting to travel long distance but I wouldn't want to be denied the occasional short adventure down an old trail or road. A large truck is just that - a large truck. 💁‍♂️

Personally the only drawback I see (cost aside) is the long wheel base when trying to navigate tight trails.

I agree, and same thought came to me when I was watching @SOAZtim video Mt. Uturuncu

1598568500262.png

Here they are doing a 1000 point turn at >18,600 ft above sea level.

I think a Tremor wouldn't able to go where they went. Tim and Kelsey video's are providing inspiration that an FJ80/LX450 can do it. I still have 100+ videos of theirs to watch.

If you really want to go smaller, get a tacoma with a 4 wheel camper on the back and mount an electric motorcycle on it. Then you are small, and have some sort of transportation if you are all set up at camp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom