Stony Lonesome OHV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to forward on this email to the local.

Dear Friends –

The long awaited time has come… Stony Lonesome OHV Park riding trails are now open! We will be waiting for you to arrive on Sunday, March 15th and then every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 8 A.M. until one hour prior to sundown (5 P.M. right now) until the weather breaks. We do look forward to seeing everyone soon and also hearing the feedback from the trails!

See you soon!

Cheri Hulsey

Stony Lonesome OHV Park

256-287-1133 (Office)

256-636-3801 (Cell)​

who has been there? There is also a place called Wilborn Trails which I hear has an extensive trail setup. both of which are in Cullman county. Since I'm local I guess I need to go find out myself :)

who has been there? There is also a place called Wilborn Trails which I hear has an extensive trail setup. both of which are in Cullman county. Since I'm local I guess I need to go find out myself :)

I have not, but I keep receiving update emails from them. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Has someone been here yet?

No, not yet. It just opened a few weeks ago. I don't know whether or not it is open for trucks yet, but I know they are open for ATVs. A customer of mine was going last weekend, but due to all the rain we have been having lately the park was closed.

Anyone else know the scoop?

Information about Stony Lonesome

A customer of mine that rides ATVs said he went up to Stony Lonesome yesterday afternoon and rode 4 wheelers.

Basically, he told me not to waste my time.

He said the trails (ATV trails) were extremely muddy and poorly built/maintained, there were no facilities (besides porta-poddies), and it's pricey for what is offerred. He DID NOT get to look at the 4WD trails since he was on an ATV; ATVs are not allowed on the 4WD trails. From what he could see there was a road to the 4WD trails that was open.

Based on other things he told me it doesn't look like construction on any of these facilities is under way. There were people working out there yesterday, but they were making ATV trails with a bobcat. The only buildings were two mobile homes being used as park offices and there was a large open gravel parking area with no shade.

Besides the ATV trail conditions and lack of facilities, they have made a lot of changes from the proposed master plan which is not on the web site. Most of these changes were made due to the wet nature of the site. The MX tracks aren't going to be built since the proposed area is too wet to have a track. The hiking, biking, and equestrian trails will also be open to motorbike traffic (that should be interesting for the people of horseback).

Anyone else know what is going on up there?

Thread on CAOS about it right now, basically says the same thing. Truck trails are muddy and not many rocks. Maybe they'll let people help make more trails at some point b/c most of them now are dirt hillclimbs and it won't take long for those to become a problem for the riders and for enviro's. Thread is here, and has a few pics:

Stonylonesome Rock crawler trail pictures

From the pictures on Caos, they don't have any rocks on the "Rock Crawler Trails". It said something about the Jeep Jamboree too. Those people from CA aren't going to be to happy...

I'll try to find out more. While I don't know anyone that's been to the park... some friends are telling me that the other site in Cullman county (wilborn trails) has some tough trails and challenges. Its located near Hanceville, I've not come across a good web site. You can call Wilborn Outdoors in Cullman to get more info. When the rain stops...I'll try to go down there and get some pics.

The stoney lonesome park is on hwy 69 before you get to Cold Springs (on the left if you are headed west from I-65). Wilborn Trails is located somewhat near Hanceville, AL (just south of Cullman) in an area called Stout's Mountain.

just got an email from them and they claim to have 8-10 rockcrawling trails. here is the email i got from Cheri

"We have 8-10 trails in the Rock crawler/4x4 area. We do not have our campground area built yet, so no shower facilities. We are in the process of working on the pavilions also. I guess you would have to come see what we do have since it sounds like we don’t have much to offer, but we do have a lot of good trails!"

maybe still in early stages of development?

maybe still in early stages of development?

Yes, they are in early stages of development. They are working while we type. :rolleyes:

I found some other pictures from Stony on the CAOS forum. Check the link that dragr1 posted above. There were rocks in some of the pictures, but I am not sure if these are the rock crawling trails are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom