Stock GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chuy

07' GX470
Threads
Do you guys think a stock GX470 on street tires can do the first two viewing areas of Broken Arrow?

With running boards, probably not. Without… likely that it can, but will drag bumpers and mud flaps. Truth be told, though, I have not been on the trail in 4 years or so.

With running boards, probably not. Without… likely that it can, but will drag bumpers and mud flaps. Truth be told, though, I have not been on the trail in 4 years or so.

Thats what I was a little afraid of, the GX sit super low compared to most stock vehicles.

I went on a family trip there with a stock 2014 4runner limited and 2 other fzj80 and did not have issues. Are GX's that low?

I went on a family trip there with a stock 2014 4runner limited and 2 other fzj80 and did not have issues. Are GX's that low?

They are fairly low, even in high mode. To me they seem lower than a stock 80 series but I read of stock hundies doing harder trails without carnage.

It doesn't take much of a departure angle to scrape the rear plastic bumper on a 100.

You will almost certainly drag the rear in a couple places. On the stairs coming down you may rub your belly a bit.

They are fairly low, even in high mode. To me they seem lower than a stock 80 series but I read of stock hundies doing harder trails without carnage.

Did the GX470 have AHC? Thought that was only on the LX470 and late 100 series LC. I have a 04 4Runner that has as bad if not worse clearance. I've had it off-road and not touched the bumpers or running boards. Few dings in the front skid plate. But never did anything like the steps that don't allow room to line up for the next obstacle. Only time at Bow and Arrow was in a FJ40.

The front is a non height adjustable coilover just like on most 4th gen 4runners. The rear has an air bag system. Not hydraulic like AHC.

The rear air bag standard or a option? Can't remember what it's called but there was a option of a rear disconnect for better articulating off-road.

More reason to go to justify a new aftermarket rear bumper

The rear air bag standard or a option? Can't remember what it's called but there was a option of a rear disconnect for better articulating off-road.

Rear air bags came on all US GX470's. The sway bar disconnect system you are thinking of is KDSS. It became an option on the GX in 2004. It doesn't actually disconnect but it does give better articulation off road and reduces body roll on road. Pretty slick system.

I've always been a little apprehensive taking my GX out because things hang low so I'm slowly building it. So far, ditched the rear air bags via the Metal Tech stock height coil conversion kit and went up a bit to Michelin LTX 265/70/17. Hefty sliders just arrived so gonna paint and bolt on soon. Thinking 2" suspension and RCI skid plates next. Eventually a rear bumper. Here's a pic during the coil conversion...

IMG_0274.JPG

GX Hefty Fab sliders...

IMG_0317.JPG

Nice, I did Schnebly hill Rd. today instead and touched the rear hitch a couple of times. I think a lift and tires would be needed.

I was going to say do coils on the rear but looks like you already have that covered my friend Tim says a few of his buds with the GX 470 have done that with good results and less cost down the road due to Yota's air bag system.................

@Chuy Schnebly has gotten rougher over the years hasn't it?

@Chuy the resale on the GX470 is much less than a 4Runner, making them an attractive alternative. People seem to be getting hip to their off road prowess though and the fact that in foreign markets they are labeled as a Landcruiser so that may be changing..................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom