Stock gauges w/ SBC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Does anybody know what I need to do to get my stock gauge cluster to work with my SBC. I heard that you need to use the stock oil pressure sender and mod that to fit or something to that sort, not sure about the other ones. Did anybody every get their's to work with the SBC.

thanks,
my64fj40

my64fj40 said:
Hello all,

Does anybody know what I need to do to get my stock gauge cluster to work with my SBC. I heard that you need to use the stock oil pressure sender and mod that to fit or something to that sort, not sure about the other ones. Did anybody every get their's to work with the SBC.

thanks,
my64fj40
When I did a 350 conversion I bought some custom adapters for the gage senders from Downey.

Nick

all my adaptors came from Downey, all my gauges work correctly except the speedo ;) seems to bo off by about 10 m.p.h. due to the 35's.

I might ba able to find the old part numbers if you need them.

There was a guy on Pirate4x4 that just plugged the stock sending units into the block and they worked. Do a search, pretty easy to find. I think the later model Chevy stuff uses metric threads.

I got the temp to work but never got the oil gauge to work. I gave up and switched back to mechanical because I like to see the numbers.

Plus I bought some mechanicals with lights and they are WAY brighter than the cluster.

I'm having the same problem any info is helpful. Does anyone know if you can calibrate a fuel gauge. I replaced my sender and checked it outside the tank but it oly reads 2/3rds full.

Gauges

The oil pressure gauge sending unit is very similar to the SBC 1/8 NPT. Just use some thread sealer tape. I used a tee at the back of the motor and hooked up a mechanical gauge as well.

My stock water temp sending unit threaded right into the side of the head on my 70 LT1 350 Motor. Make sure you use the original adapter fitting that the OEM water temp sender threaded into. Everything works just fine. I threaded the probe for the mechanical water temp gauge in the other head

I have done exactly what you are asking. There are multiple locations on a SBC for measuring both water and oil. For the oil pressure I put the Toy sending unit in the location right above the oil filter, the stock wire was real close. I put the Autometer oil sending unit in the block right behind the intake manifold. For the water, put one sending unit in each head. The wire for the stock water temp (on my 75 at least) is close to the drivers-side front of the head. I put the Autometer water temp sending unit in the pass-side head which would be towards the rear. All gauges work fine. Sorry no help on the fuel gauge problems. I haven't had to deal with that yet.

i'll be doing the same

oil - adapter from downey offroad like 10 bucks
water - adapter from downey offroad like 6 bucks
gas - doesn't change for me
speedometer - keeping the orig. yota t-case - no adapter

should come to around 20.00 bucks including shipping from www.downeyoff-road.com

Go to my webpage and read my write up on the autometer gauges in a cruiser. to get the fuel sender to work, take the stock sending unit from the gas tank. Remove the round top from it. Remove the top from the autometer guage and replace it with the LC top. The autometer guage is adjustable for the depth of the tank. Be sure you put he LC top on the Autometer sending unit correctly so the float is in the right postion. On the LC top, the screws are offset so the sending unit can only go on one way. Be sure to allow for this when putting the LC top on the Auotmeter sending unit. :confused:

my64fj40 said:
I checked Downey's website and I all I see is a temp. sending adapter for like 10 bucks, do they still make an adapter for the oil? I'm assuming that the temp. one is for the water?

Thanks,
my64fj40

The LC and GM oil sending units are almost a perfect match on the thread sizes. Just screw the LC sending unit into the gm adapter. I used the oil out let above the filter.

For the tempature sender you need the special adapter that Downey sells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom