Stock Backspacing on pre Tacoma PU's (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wanting, if possible, to run a set of fj40 wheels on my Toyota truck. Std backspacing for 40 wheels is 3.5". So, are they the same AND does anyone know if the front disks will clear?

Thanks.

Thank you BUT I am not sure how to turn your offset measurements into mine.

Found the following at http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/alloy.asp

"The ‘Offset’ of a wheel measures the distance between the wheel centreline and the wheel mounting face and is measured in millimetres. It is extremely important that wheels of the correct offset are used in order to maintain the correct track of the vehicles.

Offset can be Positive or Negative and is best illustrated in the two diagrams on the left. Most Modern vehicles are front-wheel drive, and as such generally require positive offset wheels. The main exception to this rule is 4x4 vehicles, which often use negative offset wheels."

And the following at http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/OffsetExplained.html

"Offset is the dimension between the centerline of the wheel (halfway between
the tire bead seats), and the mounting surface. Positive offset tucks the
wheel closer to the car. A 10mm spacer reduces the offset by 10mm."

These two "sources" (such as they are, worth what I paid I guess) seem to disagree about which direction is positive! (Pic goes with the first description.)
wheel offset.gif

If it's a solid front axle truck, they will work fine. That's exactly what I'm running on my 83.

Mine is a 92 so no to the SFA. You guys with IFS, what is your BS?

Mine are 4 3/4" ('86 w/IFS)

A 3.5 bs will work with ifs, but the wheel will set 1.25" further out (or more if the wheel is wider) and put more stress on suspension components. Might degrade straight line tracking as well.

The wheel I am speaking of is a 15X6 or 15X5.5 JJ i.e. std steel wheel on a 40. Do you think that will compromise the suspension? I would not think so but I am so stuck in 40 tech I might not be seeing it right.
Thx guys, keep it coming.

From my research, it looks like 4.25 is the std BS on pickups and 4 runners in the 90's.

Jukelemon said:
The wheel I am speaking of is a 15X6 or 15X5.5 JJ i.e. std steel wheel on a 40. Do you think that will compromise the suspension? /QUOTE]

I think it would compromise the handling. Not sure about the pickups, but my 90 4 Runner came with a 7" wide wheel. Backspacing was around 4.5" IIRC.

a lot of 4runners came with a steel 15x6" wheel. I wouldn't go any narrower, ever...

I ran 16x5.5's on my 40 ( :

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom