Stock 60 with 33" tires and an H55? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How is the driveability of a stock 60 with 33" tires and an H55, without re-gearing?

How is a stock 60 with 33" tires and the 4-speed?

Andrew

I have been driving my 'stock' 60 with an H55F and 31X10.50 MTRs for about 2 years. I think that I would regear with 4.11s for a taller tire. It depends on how much mountain driving you do - if you're traveling on flat ground most of the time, I think you would be OK.

M

I daily drove my Fj62 with an H55F, 33's and 4.11's and thought it the perfect combination for an all-around rig, except on the tougher trails. I agree with Mike S., 3.70's would be a little high for mountain/hill driving.

that's my setup - love it.

That's exactly what I have....it's perfect for my needs. If I wheeled harder I'd probably want 4.56's. But this is still my daily driver, and like I said, it's great.

stock 60 with 33's

I have a 4 speed with 3.70 and 33s. I spend a lot of time in 3rd gear on the gravel roads at about 1800 rpm. Mileage is good and interstate travel is good. Have to gear down on the inclines at times. I would think that i would want 4.11s to go with the 5 speed.

I run 33's on a 4 speed and stock gears. Its a great combo for around town and down the hwy...until I head up I-70 into the mountains. Not so good for pulling long hills. So far it's been fine off-road, but 33's, 4.11's & the H55 would seem to be a perfect match for improving off-road gearing and still having a good hwy rig.

I'm was running 31" with the H55F with the stock differential gears. This was OK.. When I went up to 33" tires, the gearing was a little too high. It never seemed like I used the top gear excpet at freeway speed limit speeds. I regeared my differential to 4.56. It was a toss up for me between 4.11's and the 4.56's, but my mechanic doing the swap (Gary Kardum) recommended the 4.56's. It's not a bad choice. I wanted to be able to cruise at highway speeds at 2500 rpm. I can do 65mph at a little above 2500 rpm and and make 75mph at 3000 rpm. It is also in a good power band for pulling hills, etc. My friends think I'm now going a lot faster, but I think that's mostly because now the speedometer reads high when it was reading low before...

I have 33's, stock gearing and tranny. Mostly it's a great combo, but I'm not off-road that much, even then it's mild stuff. Only real time it's an issue is on steeper hill starts - I end up having to slip the clutch more than I'd like.

i have 33" tires, h55F and stock gears.

No problems, i like the extra legs on the highway, i can still start in 2nd with out burning the clutch and I have enough gear offroad for kind of wheeling i do. It does affect accelleration though and the 2nd-3rd jump seams tall. For any larger a tire i would regear, but the 33"s work out fine IMO.

You won't get much use out of 5th gear without regearing. The 4 speed and 33s gives you a pretty nice "rubber overdrive" but it would not be ideal with an H55. If you can afford an H55 and all the stuff that goes with the conversion, you can afford to regear. If that's all too much $$ to think about, the 4 speed, stock gears and 33 inch tires works OK and is much cheaper. Not ideal, especially off-road, but OK.

The H55f is one of those "best of both worlds" conversions, but you need the right gearing to take advantage of it. 4.11 is a good match for 33s and 4.56 is a good match for 35's.

I'm running 32x11.50's with a stock 4speed and 3.70 gears and it goes pretty solid on the highway, as mentioned above you can start from 2nd without a clutch roast. However, driving up hills is a bit more labored than it used to be.

As for on the trail, 4L 1st gear still crawls me around happily enough.

Just finished putting a H55 in my FJ60. Running 33" BFGs and stock 3.70 gears. I find that 5th gear is almost unusable with such high gearing. New gears are next on my list.

Cruzerman

I've got the 33s on my 60 for now with the stock gears and H42 and it's ok around town. Havent had it out of town yet to find out about the gears, but I'm sure it's gonna suck!

If you don't mind the big jump from 2nd to 3rd that VTCruiser very correctly mentioned, you should also consider an H41 swap for a lot less money to get some bottom end without the $$ of an H55 and regearing.

I've been mulling the H55 vs H41 for a while now, but like the easy transitions from 1st thru 4th SO MUCH in the H42 that I am starting to lean in favor of trying something like a 203 doubler for the dirt and leave the rest alone.

:)

I have 33z with H55 and 4.11. I think this is an excellent set up for the 60. I have the 2H, so yours with the petrol engine should be even better.

33s and 4 speed here too. Goes fine. Though I don't wheel it much.

Exiled said:
I daily drove my Fj62 with an H55F, 33's and 4.11's and thought it the perfect combination for an all-around rig, except on the tougher trails. I agree with Mike S., 3.70's would be a little high for mountain/hill driving.

Exiled,
I'm planning on installing an H55F in my '88 FJ62. Just wondering what type of mileage you were getting with the 3FE, H55F, and 33's combination.

If I had your updated rig, I wouldn't have a care in the world about small stuff like this...quite simply, your truck is AWESOME!!! Looking forward to the Toyota Trails write-up. Do you know which edition of TT it will be featured in???

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom