Still idles rough (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

N

nyk438

My 80 is still idling rough. I don't know what it is. I shorted out the alternator when going through a mud pit. As I remember it idled bad right after the pit, I put in a weaker rebuilt alternator and was wondering if this could still be it? I checked, there aren't any hoses or anything disconnected when I installed the rebuilt alt., I changed the air filter, still idles bad...When I turn teh A/C on it'll idle at 1k rpms and not shake very much at all....wtf is wrong with my truck! It runs like a beast just the shakiness is getting annoying...

What do you mean "shorted out the alternator"? This is virtually impossible to do, so I'm wondering if you had some other type of electrical gremlin. What normally happens to alternators bathing in mud is the thing simply gets packed with mud and won't work right unless it's properly cleaned as the contacts are not making contact. Usually a month after its' been cleaned to work properly, then the bearings go.

DougM

Nic,

You need to do basic problem isolation for an engine misfire. You should know the drill by now. Check wiring (plug & coil.) Plugs, vacuum leaks, PCV, hose from air cleaner to intake, etc.

-B-

Yeah guess I need to check again. For the alternator I took it to an alternator shop and they said it was totally dead....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom