Stiff Shifter on a 2010 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a new to me 2010 LX570 back in August , 83k Miles, and have noticed an intermittent stiff shifter. Stiff when shifting from Park thru the gears to Drive. It goes into all the gear positions and shifts properly when driving. This is very intermittent, and I don't see alot of other folks with this problem. I did see something about the parking brake causing this, so I wailed on the parking lever numerous times and it did not help. It lived its previous life as a grocery getter, so there is no telling how many coffees got dumped down there, but i was looking for a plan of attack before I started pulling apart the center console. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Intermittent based on what conditions? Weather, cold or warm engine/tranny, time of day or random? Also any noises? What happens if you work the shifter through the range a fews time when it occurs, any noises of better feel for where it binds up?

Intermittent based on what conditions? Weather, cold or warm engine/tranny, time of day or random? Also any noises? What happens if you work the shifter through the range a fews time when it occurs, any noises of better feel for where it binds up?
Intermittent based on what conditions? - I can't pin down anything specific. I've been noticing it since October...

Weather, cold or warm engine/tranny, time of day or random? -Completely random - Warmed up or cold.

Also any noises? -Nope...

What happens if you work the shifter through the range a fews time when it occurs, any noises of better feel for where it binds up? -Feels the same all the way through the positions.

I really think I have to start at the center console and inspect, or disconnect the linkage and try to isolate it that way. Anyone had to disconnect the shift linkage on one of these yet? Is it hard to do?

My experience is that this is periodic and normal for both LX570s and LC200s. I experience this quite often with my LC and did with my LX. More so when it is humid or i have driven through deep water. Seems to come and go. Have not found a cause yet.

My experience is that this is periodic and normal for both LX570s and LC200s. I experience this quite often with my LC and did with my LX. More so when it is humid or i have driven through deep water. Seems to come and go. Have not found a cause yet.
It sure does not feel normal, but as long as it still functions I guess I'm gonna live with it. Its already come and gone a few times, kinda like the center diff lock when cold. I guess I will have to get used to it until it becomes functionally defective.

Does where you are parked make a difference? If you're on an incline/decline vs being flat? Any vehicle I've felt a stiff shift out of park on was because the transmission was taking all the load and not the parking brakes.

I have noticed this exact same issue in my 2013 LX as well. It’s my wife’s daily driver so I haven’t been able to pinpoint certain conditions either. I think it may be more common after a rain storm, however not after every rain storm. I’ve noticed it for a couple years now and so far there haven’t been any damage or problems related to it. For me, it remains stiff no matter how many times I run it through the gears. I do not believe it is related to the transmission and being parked on an incline because mine is backed into my driveway every day with the nose lower than the rear and it is usually smooth with no issues. Once, when I noticed it being stiff, I pulled out of the driveway and drove down the street about 1/4 mile and tried cycling it through the gears again. It was still stiff, not loosened up at all from the driveway, but by the time I got to my destination it was back to normal.

Does where you are parked make a difference? If you're on an incline/decline vs being flat? Any vehicle I've felt a stiff shift out of park on was because the transmission was taking all the load and not the parking brakes.
I live in Illinois - no hills! Flat as a pancake around here...

So this morning its back to normal. Smooth as silk. Can't reproduce it now. Strange, but I'm glad it fixed itself. Gotta love when cars auto repair themselves! Thanks for all the input folks!

So this morning its back to normal. Smooth as silk. Can't reproduce it now. Strange, but I'm glad it fixed itself. Gotta love when cars auto repair themselves! Thanks for all the input folks!
We have an 11 LC and this has happened every now and then over the last two years. Actually happening now. We just went from it being very cold (30s) to 81 today with a lot of humidity in the air abs it’s been doing it all day. 85k miles. I think humidity really has something to do with it. Generally last a drive or a day or two. Curious if anyone ever sorts this out??

I bought used 2014 LX 570 few months back. Exact same issue. I only drive once or twice a week. I thought it was because the weather was cold or because I didn't drive for few days but it's just random. Some days I feel like I'm going to snap off the shifter.. it's that stiff. But other days, it shifts so smooth that I can shift it with my two fingers.. I just don't know what the problem is. Someone told me the shifter cable needs to be replaced but I don't think so...

Add me to the list. 2011 LX. Can't pinpoint it. Thought it was only after rain for a while then happened a couple times after at least a week without rain. Issue been on and off for 2 years. Daily driver and it gets stiff 1-2 drives per week.

Tons of posts on the hard to shift shifter. Here is one that claims a solution.

Neutral safety switch is something other toyota forums have mentioned might cure this. You can look into Tundra forums as they have similar issues.

Neutral safety switch is something other toyota forums have mentioned might cure this. You can look into Tundra forums as they have similar issues.
I had this exact problem with an Acura years ago. (It eventually got stuck in Park Coincidently almost the same mileage) It was the gear position sensor/cable.

If so that’s easy to test. Use the key blade to pop the little slotted cover out of the shifter fascia and push the button under it. (after confirming it’s safe to do so! You can do this without the brakes pressed which obviously can be dangerous) If the truck comes out of park easily like that, it’s related to the NSS.

That said if it’s still hard to shift between R/N/D even after getting out of park, most likely a different cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom