Stevo's '95 4BTRunner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had some time to fabricate an intercooler mount, being that I am just going with the single turbo for now I grabbed something simple, but still a decent size.

Drew a base plate to mount to the existing front clip.
1651537053641.jpeg

Made a bracket to hold the intercooler
1651537079022.jpeg

Tacked it up, then installed the intercooler after fully welding it

1651537108192.jpeg

Painted and installed.

1651537123465.jpeg

Intercooler in place.

1651537135092.jpeg

I noticed it was slightly cocked when I installed it, looks like it warped a bit when I was welding it up. Fortunately I can hog out the mounting holes a bit and rotate it to be straight. I will definitely be doing that before the final install.

Work has been busy so I haven't had as much time to work on the truck as I would like, but I was able to knock out a few things to keep the project moving.

I dropped the fuel tank again, hopefully for the last time. I was checking the ohms on the ford sending unit and realized that it would not be compatible with the stock 4runner gauge or an aftermarket one. So since I still had the sending unit from the old tank I decided to give that a go.

First thing I needed to do was adjust the length of the float arm. The stock arm would register a reading of "empty" on a little over a quarter of a tank of fuel left.

1652100140572.jpeg

Modified float arm

1652100182125.jpeg

I then modified the top port of the new tank to accept the toyota fuel level sending unit

1652100265330.jpeg

installed in the cover, and then installed into the tank

1652100298893.jpeg

The last thing I did was get the new drive flange installed on the NP205, I'll be building the front driveshaft soon so I can roll around until its own power until I get the rear driveline installed and brakes finished. I'll hook up the E-brake so I can have some stopping ability.

1652100459717.jpeg

Things have been busy with work, but the truck is coming along too, spent some time getting the batteries, starter and hydroboost.

I salvaged some 4/0 wire from a loader I helped pull the engine on. So I used that to tie in the batteries, definitely overkill in the size department but free is the best price, and there is no flex in the cables so I don't have to worry about them moving out of position.

1652878301837.jpeg

Unfortunately there isn't enough room to run them in front of the radiator up top, so I ran them using the shroud mounts for the rad.
Installed.

1652878371939.jpeg

Definitely will be cleaning up the wiring and the coolant loops, but this is mostly just to get the cooling system flushed, I didn't want to put anything in permanent until I get a heat up through the manifold and flush any potential weld slag out before putting my new turbo on.

For the Hydroboost system, I picked up the same "field serviceable" kit I used on my last build, only thing is I ordered the wrong fitting for the connection to the power steering box. They are super easy to install and save time and money having custom lines made.

1652878788058.jpeg

Next up will be brakes, driveline, and intercooler pipe routing.

Those field serviceable lines are the bees knees. Easy to carry a spare in your box with a length of line that works for any line on your (or a friend's) truck.

Those field serviceable lines are the bees knees. Easy to carry a spare in your box with a length of line that works for any line on your (or a friend's) truck.
So true, and fortunately since the distance is short for these lines, vs a full size truck, I have always had enough leftover from the kit to make another line if needed.

Where do you get those line kits? Recommended brand? I need new PS lines and the ability to have a spare would be outstanding.

Where do you get those line kits? Recommended brand? I need new PS lines and the ability to have a spare would be outstanding.
Here is the kit I picked up.

You just need to pick up an "SF06" fitting for the steering box input

Moving along on the truck. My alternator needs new bearings and since I was going to have to pay to have a Tach terminal installed on it, I decided to go the route of purchasing a new one. it was $20 more than having mine rebuilt.

While waiting for the new one to come in, I decided to weld up the front driveshaft and get the rear bumper dialed in.

1653501407894.jpeg

painted and installed. This is just a temporary shaft, so i'm not super concerned about having it balanced.

1653501463335.jpeg

I adjusted the hitch location to reduce its impact on my departure angle.

1653501522743.jpeg

Welded on some recovery points that I cut out as well.

1653501531827.jpeg

Got it installed, I am just trying to get an accurate amount of weight over the rear axle before rewelding in my rear leaf mounts and finalizing my pinion angle.

1653501640092.jpeg

New alternator is in, wired up and ready to go.

Got it filled with all the necessary fluids and some water to get it fired up. Its alive

This isn't the best quality video, but its a big step forward.

Brakes, clutch, rear driveline and shifters are all it needs for a test drive.

Of course as soon as I get some momentum on this I get sidetracked, the wife got covid, so I spent the week taking care of her.
The throttle indexing shaft also had a leak. Turns out the bushing had some wear on it so I spent some time getting it pulled apart.
Hopefully the parts will come in this week and ill get them installed.

Image for reference to make sure I reinstall the shaft in the right orientation.
1654530186033.jpeg

Top pulled, a little bit of surface rust but hopefully not an issue.

1654530201496.jpeg

Made it back to the shop today to get some more work done. Relocated (Centered is better) and rotated the rear axle, to give me a much nicer pinion angle. Have that tacked in to keep it from moving around on me. Locktighted the midshaft ubolt nuts while I was under there.

Plasma cut my new center transmission center hump cover for the new shifter locations, and got it bent up.

1654634075077.jpeg

And with the edges bent.
1654634097825.jpeg

Looks like it will fit in nice, just need to get the carpet out of the way and trim out the metal openings in the floor.

1654634163654.jpeg

I'll eventually be making a new custom center console based on the final location of the shifters and whatnot.

Also worked on getting some measurements for my new heating lines, going to be going with stainless steel braided.
Since I am waiting on parts to come in for the injection pump I figured I might as well get working on the clutch system and brakes.

Stock Toyota clutch MC with stickout measurement:

1654634324814.jpeg

Cut and welded onto the Ford MC rod

1654634352896.jpeg

I accidentally installed the rod, then realized that I needed to smooth down the head of the allen head bolt I used, what a PITA, took me longer to come up with a way to remove it than the rest of the install.

Finally got it off using the center section of a pen with a slit cut down the side. Here it is smoothed and repainted.
1654634513229.jpeg

Easy modification to the mounting flange to get it to bolt up in the stock Toyota location.

1654634555263.jpeg

And installed.

1654634570487.jpeg

I ordered a clutch line and will be grabbing a slave cylinder too so it will hopefully be bled out later this week.

I have also been messing around with some bumper ideas for the truck in my downtime, might go for something a lot more high clearance than the old one.
Having access to the plasma table this time around opens up a lot more options.

1654959257515.jpeg

Also after making some adjustments to the rest of the project, I'm not super thrilled with how the front shocks got mounted, I used the ford shock towers, but they didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted them to. Since I had the time I drew up some improved versions.

1654959634653.jpeg

As if I needed some more to do on the truck, I do think this will work out for the better, especially since I want to drop the suspension down a few inches.

Injection pump is back together, and I upgraded the AFC boost line and Max fuel screw while I was in there.

1655414934717.jpeg

I also installed the new upper thermostat heater line, going to flush the system with a cleaner and then install the other line as well.

1655415003734.jpeg

Definitely have someone on standby when starting up for the first time when working on the pump. It tried to runaway on me, way too much fuel. But I had a buddy ready to smother it. I did notice too it was getting some fuel past the solenoid even with the key off so I am going to look for another 12V switched source to make sure there isn't any residual voltage holding it open. If that doesn't fix the issue I'll have to check out the solenoid, if that's bad I will most likely run a manual shut off to the pump.

Of course one of the expansion plugs is weeping oil, so I'll have to drain the oil out, replace the plug and fill it back up.

In the process of replacing the expansion plug I learned a valuable lesson, never think a simple task will take 5 minutes.
On the second tap the plug fell right into the block. :doh:

In order to get the plug out I had 2 choices, drop the trans to be able to pull the oil pan, or go fishing. I opted for the fishing route, but it still took me 30 mins with multiple different magnet tools to be able to get it out. The additional stress and aggravation is not what I was hoping for.

In order to remove any chance of the new plug getting pushed in too far, I made a tool to install it.

1655907220294.jpeg

Ready to go, I will be doing the full heat up and flush on Friday so I should have some good footage of how it sounds.

1655907267527.jpeg

Heat ups went well. Need to adjust the idle down, but its running well and sounds good.

Have the new coolant lines in, next is getting the turbo fully installed and plumbed in.

1656348371855.jpeg

Getting close, going to get the clutch system bled and start working on the brakes once the intercooler and exhaust is fabricated.

What's that saying "It's not right til you do it twice?" That has been my life with getting this project wrapped up.

I never had any leaks from the thermostat housing during any of the heat-ups, and of course it didn't leak when I filled it with coolant either, so of course it definitely leaked when I reinstalled the thermostat. Spent too much time today pulling the alt/belts and thermostat housing, but with a new seal in it things look to be good on that end.

I was finally able to get my turbo installed, got the housing clocked and the drain/ feed lines hooked up too.
1657052206685.jpeg

The outlet is tight around the alternator, but it makes it!

Also for anyone with a Cummins, it works really well to pull the 1/2" pipe plug at the front of the head when filling it up with coolant. It lets all of the air escape from the head without having to pour super slowly and let it bleed past the little holes in the thermostat. Then you just pop it back in and pour in the last of the coolant. Just pour slow, while looking into the head it fills up quick and will gush everywhere if you pour too quick.

1657052271135.jpeg

Started work on the exhaust before having to wrap up for the day. Test fit the filter too, its a bit tighter than I wanted, but it will work fine for now.

1657052346242.jpeg

Finished off the day by heading over to a client of mine, he just released two new spirits, limoncello and orangecello to sell alongside his vodka. Rum and Rye are next.

1657052725073.jpeg

Last edited:
Its been crazy with work and weather, but I made it out to the shop today. The goal was to get the intercooler piping knocked out.

Repositioned the intercooler to be level, and started cutting some pipe
1657670127046.jpeg

Killed a hole saw going through the front, but this keeps the pipe in a safe spot.

1657670158800.jpeg

Welded them up.

1657670242996.jpeg

Did another test fit.

1657670262379.jpeg

Looks good

1657670330928.jpeg

Still leaves me plenty of room to get to the pump and make adjustments.

I needed to make a tool to put a bead on the intercooler pipes. Came up with this.

1657670417671.jpeg

Test bead looked pretty good.

Took it home and in the comfort of my apt finished them up.
First Pass.

1657670487949.jpeg

Second Pass

1657670520538.jpeg

Finish pass

1657670544417.jpeg

One down, two to go.

1657670563247.jpeg

Once I get them back to the shop ill be smoothing out the welds and trimming the excess off of the tubes.

While getting the intercooler piping done, I also worked on the exhaust. I had to turn a 90 into a 75 degree angle so lots of cuts and welding.

1657735467832.jpeg

Short dump for now right by the transmission, going to angle it out a bit more before finish welding.

1657735514248.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom