Stereo shutdown when using light stalk/brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a bit of a weird issue here.. head unit is an older Sony XAV64BT which I've had in and out and kind of abused and opened up and replaced the fan... etc.

I've been commuting at 5-6 A.M./5-6 P.M. lately so driving in the dark, and when I go to use turn signals, turn hi beams on/off, or hit the brakes, it will oftentimes (but not always) force the stereo to restart/lose regain power. Quite annoying when I just want to have music for my drive. I'm 95% sure it's just the head unit since this problem only recently appeared. Only happens after vehicle is warmed up and has cycled through normal light functions a few times.

The 12V power for the stereo is being converted somewhere from 24V. I couldn't find the converter (possibly behind batteries) but it has worked consistently and I want to let good enough be. I do have a brand new 10A converter on hand.

My question is that the light stalk/brake light switch wouldn't have any connection to the stereo circuit? Maybe it's just like some micro pulse through the shared ground connections that is causing the stereo to shutdown/restart? No blown fuses so no known short circuits.

I'm going to go dive into it right now and see if I can't figure out what's going on.

My question is that the light stalk/brake light switch wouldn't have any connection to the stereo circuit?

A possible fire waiting to happen. I would connect the 12v power to a test meter and see what happens when you use the brakes , hi beam ect.

Yea - nothing we can really recommend here since it's aftermarket. Pull the radio out, trace the wiring.
Radio only needs 3 items for power.
  • Constant +12v
  • Switched +12v
  • Ground
Find out where each comes from and you'll find your problem. If it's wired into the stalks (thats a terrible choice) then i'd remove from that, tap into the factory switched power and ground for radio and run a fresh +12v constant.

Pretty simple job, just takes some time and sleuthing. Beauty is that aftermarket stuff is usually extremely visible - just usually wrapped in electrical tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom