Stereo Amp Failed, 2003 L.C. Now what? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today my stereo stopped working. I understand there is no aftermarket solution. What to do?!?

Just driving along today when I heard a mild pop from my speakers and the front speakers went completely silent. The failure is independent of the audio source. Adjusting fade from middle to front to rear confirmed that the front speakers were silent. Thankfully the rears still played.
I stopped the car for a couple of hours. When I restarted the rear speakers went fuzzy. The rear speakers still make sound, but the audio is barely discernible under the static.
The head unit appears to be functioning properly, only the audio output has failed. So I assume the amplifier.

Ideas for trouble shooting?
The amp is under the passenger seat, right?
Can someone share the factory wiring diagram?
Has anyone replaced the factory amp?

One idea I had, tell me if this is crazy. Replace the amplifier with an aftermarket unit that has a bluetooth input. Then give up on using the factory head unit for audio and play everything over my phone. I'd miss my FM radio. So that would be far from ideal, but better than nothing.

I think your amp is going into heat overload. I'veheard of this same symptom. If it is the exact same symptom, you will be able to wait a little bit, and when you restart the engine, the radio will work for 30 seconds and then pop again and stop working. I don't know if the amp has a cooling fan, but I bet it does, and that has gone out. You might be able to put a bag of ice cubes on the amp and see if it will stay on for a while.

There are people on this forum who will service the amp, but it is pretty spendy. Instead, I hope you can buy a $10 fan and wire it in.

Today my stereo stopped working. I understand there is no aftermarket solution. What to do?!?

Just driving along today when I heard a mild pop from my speakers and the front speakers went completely silent. The failure is independent of the audio source. Adjusting fade from middle to front to rear confirmed that the front speakers were silent. Thankfully the rears still played.
I stopped the car for a couple of hours. When I restarted the rear speakers went fuzzy. The rear speakers still make sound, but the audio is barely discernible under the static.
The head unit appears to be functioning properly, only the audio output has failed. So I assume the amplifier.

Ideas for trouble shooting?
The amp is under the passenger seat, right?
Can someone share the factory wiring diagram?
Has anyone replaced the factory amp?

One idea I had, tell me if this is crazy. Replace the amplifier with an aftermarket unit that has a bluetooth input. Then give up on using the factory head unit for audio and play everything over my phone. I'd miss my FM radio. So that would be far from ideal, but better than nothing.

There is an aftermarket option if you do the Nav delete mod.

@LongHaulCruiser, As you predicted the problem resolved itself!
This is not confidence inspiring, but better than the alternative.

As you recommended, I'll have to check the fan in the amp. Although thermal overload doesn't seem likely as the issue happened on a cold day after about 5 minutes of driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom