Steering whine in one direction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Zjohnsonua

SILVER Star
Threads
Search turned up nil, so here goes.

The PS in my 60 has always whined, and it's always been way worse when turning to the right. Granted these OE pumps have their weaknesses, but they don't know which direction the gear is turning.

Before I tear into the steering gear box, what could cause a PS pump to whine when turning in one direction considerably more than the other?

Should've included that. It used to have a steady leak at the reservoir o-ring, so who knows how long it ran low due to that before I got it. I replaced the o-ring shortly after I got the truck, and the leak has since stopped. It stays full now.

Mine belt was whining bad on my Nissan in one direction and come to find out the tensioner was loose causing it to squeal as I turned the wheel more to one side. Everything snug enough? Belts been updated?

More strain/resistance could cause it to whine in only one direction...some sort of binding, bad steering component, tie rod, a really old steering stabilizer, etc?? ...a thought...

Mine belt was whining bad on my Nissan in one direction and come to find out the tensioner was loose causing it to squeal as I turned the wheel more to one side. Everything snug enough? Belts been updated?

Good thinking, but belts are snug. The PS screams like mad, and has somewhat lower assist when cold. Once things warm up the assist is back to full, but the whine is only reduced.

The more I think and talk it out, it smacks of a failed o-ring in the pump, but I can't nail down to which one yet.

More strain/resistance could cause it to whine in only one direction...some sort of binding, bad steering component, tie rod, a really old steering stabilizer, etc?? ...a thought...

Steering stabilizer is new, and moved as it should before install. Cycling the steering left to right with the front end jacked up doesn't reveal a tangible difference in resistance.

All good points to check though!

Hi, On our cruisers ,once they started making noise,it didn't quit without a rebuild or replace. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom