steering wheel telescoping motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I read the LX470 thread about the telescoping motor whining while it's in its death throws (every time you put the key in the ignition) and how to replace it. unfortunately, the GX and the LX don't share this part number. instead, it appears that the steering column comes as a whole in the GX (based on part numbers) and the individual adjustment motors can't be purchased separately.

it seems to me that the motor is shared between the 470 and the 460 based on ebay photos. the problem with buying a used motor is you have no idea if the replacement motor will also be in its death throws.

and I don't want to just turn off the motor at it's most used adjustment level.

s-l400.jpg

$_1.jpeg

here's two examples from ebay of a GX470 steering wheel telescoping motor.

$_1 (1).jpeg

here's a photo of a 460 steering wheel telescoping motor.

PXL_20210217_000334984.jpg

here's the one from my car. I think this is a denso motor, I tried looking it up on the denso site, but of course I wasn't able to find anything.

s-l400 (1).jpg

this is a photo of a GX window motor. does anyone else think these motors are the same with a little packaging difference? I am thinking the motor is in the metal housing and if that part can be repurposed from a window motor, the part could effectively be fixed without buying a whole new steering column.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love a work around for this!
I've been dealing with a dead steering motor for over a year.

s-l400.jpg

on further examination, looks like this ebay photo of the 460 telescoping motor asked similar male prong connector to above pictures window motor, just in a different orientation on the bracket

s-l400 (1).jpg

this unit is taken from an eBay listing for lx570

$_1.jpeg

ls460 telescoping motor

s-l400.jpg

Nissan Titan telescoping motor

Last edited:
My motor was quite whiny when I bought my GX. The problem actually was a lack of lubrication on the sliding steering shaft and on the threaded rod which the motor uses to move the shaft in and out. A few squirts of spray lithium grease on the shaft and some bicycle chain grease on the threaded rod was all it took to make it nice and quiet. This is a 10-min job and only takes a screwdriver to remove the plastic trim around the steering column.

My motor was quite whiny when I bought my GX. The problem actually was a lack of lubrication on the sliding steering shaft and on the threaded rod which the motor uses to move the shaft in and out. A few squirts of spray lithium grease on the shaft and some bicycle chain grease on the threaded rod was all it took to make it nice and quiet. This is a 10-min job and only takes a screwdriver to remove the plastic trim around the steering column.
Ohhh, good stuff. Mine's been whiny lately too. Need to do this.

Did you find a good video or anything on removing the trim and where exactly to lube it up?

Ohhh, good stuff. Mine's been whiny lately too. Need to do this.

Did you find a good video or anything on removing the trim and where exactly to lube it up?

there's 2 threads on GXOR that have videos and pictures.

there's 2 threads on GXOR that have videos and pictures.

Thanks. Links aren't showing above, but I found one thread that I believe has the info on it. Appreciate the heads-up.

The screws are behind the steering wheel. Just turn it to the left, unscrew, turn it to the right, unscrew. I think there is also one on the bottom. I used CRC white lithium spray grease on the shaft and Dumonde bike chain lube on the threaded rod (the lithium grease did not seem to stick well to the threads - you could probably use something other kind of viscous oil if you aren't a cyclist with chain lube laying around :)).

I took the under dash panels off up to where the ignition is. got upside down in the driver seat, wiped the factory butter off where it accumulated in the threaded shaft of the motor assembly and redistributed the butter all over the threads. after a few iterations of this with cycling of the telescoping, all is quiet.

The screws are behind the steering wheel. Just turn it to the left, unscrew, turn it to the right, unscrew. I think there is also one on the bottom. I used CRC white lithium spray grease on the shaft and Dumonde bike chain lube on the threaded rod (the lithium grease did not seem to stick well to the threads - you could probably use something other kind of viscous oil if you aren't a cyclist with chain lube laying around :)).

Mention of chain lube got me to tackle this simple job as well. I use a parafin-based lube on my chain; used it on the whiny steering wheel threaded rods as well.

Simple job, enjoyable one actually. Everything now smoooooth and quiet.

Take care!

Finally took the gamble and bought a Denso motor off eBay.
It was listed as an 06' GS300 steering column motor.
I pulled the lower dash trim and the steering wheel trim. That only required a 10mm socket and Phillips head screwdriver.
The motor is held in place with three Allen bolts.
Remove those bolts and the motor can be removed.
Unplug the wiring connector and the old part is out.
I pulled the threaded shaft out of the steering column for a proper clean and reapplication of lithium grease.
Make sure you reinstall the rubber anti-shock isolator that fits between the threaded shaft and the motor body.
Installation is the reverse of removal.

The motor worked perfectly. No recalibrating anything. The wheel just returned to the driver memory position it was in when the motor s*** out close to two years ago.
I definitely wish I tackled this sooner .

PXL_20210717_011538070.jpg

PXL_20210717_011544502.jpg

PXL_20210717_011555169.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom