steering wheel repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the original steering wheel off my FJ73. Its in GC except that the top of the grip has separated from the steel ring inside. Ive heard this is from sun damage where the heat causes it to go soft and separate.
Has anyone come up with a fix?

Ive often wondered about drilling some small holes into the affected area and injecting them with some kind of adhesive.
Any opinions?

Yes ,that was another line of thought. Any drilling/puncturing would take place on the windscreen side so it couldn't be seen. If I did drill,it would be with my smallest drill bits eg 1-1.5mm

Your palm sweat is your subsequent culprit after the heat and sun.
Can try wrapping with wood kit just like 100 series steering wheel.

Hello,

Depending on the wheel model you have, there should be 2 -3 ports, probably used to inject the plastic in the mold, and roughly 1 mm in diameter, on the back, i. e., the part facing the dash. You might be able to squeeze glue/resin/you name it through them.

Hope this helps.

Juan

I have same problem with upper portion of steering wheel and on inspection I found those 3 holes, ??
image.jpg

On my 60 series I had the same issue. It drove me nuts. I drilled some holes on the back side and injected gorilla glue. It worked great. Anything that was poking out was easily removed because I wrapped the wheel with masking tape before drilling the holes.

If I was to do it again I might mix the glue with water so that it wasn't so thick.. Water also helps the glue to set.

Good to see others have been thinking about this as well

On my 60 series I had the same issue. It drove me nuts. I drilled some holes on the back side and injected gorilla glue. It worked great. Anything that was poking out was easily removed because I wrapped the wheel with masking tape before drilling the holes.

If I was to do it again I might mix the glue with water so that it wasn't so thick.. Water also helps the glue to set.

Had the top half steering wheel rot on my 62 and managed to cover up much of the sloppiness with a Wheelskins leather glove as below. Would have been sweet to tighten up the interior of the vinyl cover with the Gorilla Glue.

upload_2014-9-23_17-17-2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom