steering wheel repair (1 Viewer)

Joined
Jul 22, 2003
Messages
18,149
Location
Perth Western Australia
I have the original steering wheel off my FJ73. Its in GC except that the top of the grip has separated from the steel ring inside. Ive heard this is from sun damage where the heat causes it to go soft and separate.
Has anyone come up with a fix?

Ive often wondered about drilling some small holes into the affected area and injecting them with some kind of adhesive.
Any opinions?
 
Joined
Jul 22, 2003
Messages
18,149
Location
Perth Western Australia
Yes ,that was another line of thought. Any drilling/puncturing would take place on the windscreen side so it couldn't be seen. If I did drill,it would be with my smallest drill bits eg 1-1.5mm
 
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
1,348
Location
Sabah,Malaysia
Your palm sweat is your subsequent culprit after the heat and sun.
Can try wrapping with wood kit just like 100 series steering wheel.
 
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,430
Hello,

Depending on the wheel model you have, there should be 2 -3 ports, probably used to inject the plastic in the mold, and roughly 1 mm in diameter, on the back, i. e., the part facing the dash. You might be able to squeeze glue/resin/you name it through them.

Hope this helps.





Juan
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2013
Messages
611
Location
Sunshine Coast,QLD
I have same problem with upper portion of steering wheel and on inspection I found those 3 holes, ??
image.jpg
 
Joined
Feb 9, 2013
Messages
374
Location
O-Town
On my 60 series I had the same issue. It drove me nuts. I drilled some holes on the back side and injected gorilla glue. It worked great. Anything that was poking out was easily removed because I wrapped the wheel with masking tape before drilling the holes.

If I was to do it again I might mix the glue with water so that it wasn't so thick.. Water also helps the glue to set.
 

wardharris

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Joined
Oct 31, 2011
Messages
3,904
Location
Boise, Idaho
On my 60 series I had the same issue. It drove me nuts. I drilled some holes on the back side and injected gorilla glue. It worked great. Anything that was poking out was easily removed because I wrapped the wheel with masking tape before drilling the holes.

If I was to do it again I might mix the glue with water so that it wasn't so thick.. Water also helps the glue to set.

Had the top half steering wheel rot on my 62 and managed to cover up much of the sloppiness with a Wheelskins leather glove as below. Would have been sweet to tighten up the interior of the vinyl cover with the Gorilla Glue.

upload_2014-9-23_17-17-2.png
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom