Steering shaft - does this look right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rex in bama

SILVER Star
Threads
Having some linkage movement in the steering (felt when going over bumps at low speed). Was thinking it might be the intermediate steering shaft, so looked under the column. There is a ton of movement, but it seems to be where the steering column meets the intermediate shaft. Right in the pic is towards the steering wheel. Does this look right?! Notice the circular clip that is loose on the steering column rack. Would be great if someone could shoot me a pic of their assembly. Thanks for any help or insight

D78F3C47-FFFB-4A80-A02C-E061EDD9D852.jpeg

Having some linkage movement in the steering (felt when going over bumps at low speed). Was thinking it might be the intermediate steering shaft, so looked under the column. There is a ton of movement, but it seems to be where the steering column meets the intermediate shaft. Right in the pic is towards the steering wheel. Does this look right?! Notice the circular clip that is loose on the steering column rack. Would be great if someone could shoot me a pic of their assembly. Thanks for any help or insight

View attachment 2445256
Should have also mentioned that the shaft to the right freely moves in and out of the steering column, slamming the black disc portion of the ujoint against the metal piece to the right of it.

Most common is ball joint or tie rod.

The steering shaft should not be freely move in and out. It is a collapsible shaft that supposed to collapse in front end accident to prevent pushing steering wheel to the driver.
Cannot tell from picture. Might be better if you could use some type of video recording device to show the movement.

Most common is ball joint or tie rod.

The steering shaft should not be freely move in and out. It is a collapsible shaft that supposed to collapse in front end accident to prevent pushing steering wheel to the driver.
Cannot tell from picture. Might be better if you could use some type of video recording device to show the movement.
Well apparently just fixed it! Held the steering shaft out towards the firewall, then worked the retaining clip up the steering shaft. It eventually popped into place - no more movement, and steering rattle seems to be gone! I love free fixes - and to think how close I got to buying a new intermediate steering shaft.
Interesting that it popped out in the first place. Wondering if the airbag replacement (Recall) had something to do with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom