Steering column plastic cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi.

My FZJ 80 has a rattling steering column cover. So I went to my Toyota Dealer and bought all the hardware (5 screws I believe). Replaced them, and made no difference.
Both covers are screwed together, but they continue to rattle and move all over the place.
Am I missing something? Is there an attachment point of the cover to de dash or column itself?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers
Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 11.00.26.png

I just replaced mine- more than likely it is not seated correctly as in the screws did not engage.

If you are certain all 5 screws are in the clam shell and the tabs are locked, it could be something else inside the steering column. Also, 3 screws which go to the column itself are shorter than the 2 closest to the steering wheel.

You said 5 screws but the 2 in front are longer than the 3 in the rear.

90164-50048 is longer than the 3 in the back which are shown as 93315-14010. Yes it makes a difference

I just replaced mine- more than likely it is not seated correctly as in the screws did not engage.

If you are certain all 5 screws are in the clam shell and the tabs are locked, it could be something else inside the steering column. Also, 3 screws which go to the column itself are shorter than the 2 closest to the steering wheel.

You said 5 screws but the 2 in front are longer than the 3 in the rear.

90164-50048 is longer than the 3 in the back which are shown as 93315-14010. Yes it makes a difference
OK. Thanks for the advice. Will check later and report back with results.
Cheers!

Part of the plastic is most likely broken on the inside of the cover. I replaced the hole cover on mine. It's very common for these to be broken as the plastic is 25 years old and people bang there knees into them

Last edited:
Part of the plastic is most likely broken on the inside of the cover. I replaced the hole cover mine. It's very common for these to be broken as the plastic is 25 years old and people bang there knees into them
There is a really nice writeup somewhere here where a guy epoxied nylon standoffs to the stubs the screws engage. I never followed through because I didn't want to mess with steering wheel removal which was required for my FJ80 but if you want to renovate the clamshells, this appears to be the best and maybe only way.

As I recall the bottom section of the clamshell attaches firmly to the steering column with two machine screws and metal washers. Those are the mounting points that fail causing all the movement of the clamshell. You will find the machine screws still attached to the underside of the steering column with what looks like a plastic washer. That plastic is part of the broken lower piece of the clamshell. The top section is screwed to the bottom section with self-tapping type of screws into the plastic.

Hi guys.

So I checked my plastic cover, and as you all suggested, the plastic is broken. So my best bet is to order a new one.
Anyways, I tried removing the lower half, but couldn't do it, because of the Cruise control thing. Is there a recommended way to do it? Should I Remove (if possible) the cruise control to do it?

Thanks a lot!

there is a screw behind the cruise control handle which will allow it to be removed, but the BEST way is to fish it out. remove the 5 screws on the bottom and then swing it to the right to maneuver it out.

there is a screw behind the cruise control handle which will allow it to be removed, but the BEST way is to fish it out. remove the 5 screws on the bottom and then swing it to the right to maneuver it out.
Tnaks for the advice! Will try that later in the afternoon.
Cheers

You can definitely maneuver the lower clamshell around and over the cruise control lever; no need for further disassembly. You just have to twist and manipulate the lower clamshell and ease it out and over.

You can definitely maneuver the lower clamshell around and over the cruise control lever; no need for further disassembly. You just have to twist and manipulate the lower clamshell and ease it out and over.
Tried removing the plastic cover. Results: I am not that skilled! Ordered one new!

Bummer, I assume you lowered your steering column all the way down before trying to remove it? Hopefully the new one doesn’t give you as much grief.

Bummer, I assume you lowered your steering column all the way down before trying to remove it? Hopefully the new one doesn’t give you as much grief.
I tried in every position! :bang:. Will have to master my skills before installing the new one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom