Stealth Custom Series Wheels - Possible RW replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been searching for RW wheels for a couple of months now with no success. The ones I do find are in terrible condition or they want outrageous money. What does everyone think of this wheel? I found this company when looking for something aftermarket and similar to the RW wheel. I asked them if they had a wheel that was close to the RW and below is a pic they sent. 18"x9", 5x150 but the offset is +25mm. I think it's a better looking wheel than the RW. How would the difference in offset look on the LC? I'm thinking "group buy" if there is interest. These wheels won't be available till late Jan. They look good with the TRD center-cap.

E28F0F73-425B-4698-A82B-6FAA1FBC74BC_zpsroswzfpz.jpg

Ask Vin about weight capability - that was their issue last I talked with him..... I loved their 5's on my old 80.....

I agree those look better, and I for one could use that extra 1 inch. However, I think those are cast wheels, the 6x6.5 lug version for Tacoma, 4Runner, FJs have a max load of 2,100 lbs. I don't see them doing anything that that is going to change that when they put it on a 5x150 hub pattern. OEM wheels and rock warriors are forged but I need to pull out the installation manual that came with my rock warriors to see what their load rating is.

But even with a 2,100 lbs max load. It should be fine for a more stock/street ride. Probably pushing it a bit with a heavy built 200, when going up something and putting all that weight on only two rear wheels.

Good looking rim. WRT SCS...they are good people. I ran a set of his wheels on my 3rd Gen 4Runner. Very nice wheels and very nice finish. I got lots of compliments on them. I totally recommend the SCS crew. It was a pleasure to do business with them. Very responsive to all my questions. And they picked up the phone whenever I would call. Again, based on my past experience with SCS, should be a solid product and a great option for the 200 if the offset and weight rating is appropriate.

Guy

But even with a 2,100 lbs max load. It should be fine for a more stock/street ride. Probably pushing it a bit with a heavy built 200, when going up something and putting all that weight on only two rear wheels.

Bone stock P285/60-18 tires are spec'd by Toyota to support 2,512 pounds Load Limit. Based on that, I would be very reluctant to use any wheel that was not rated for that load + a safety factor.

HTH

They seem pretty dissimilar to me except for the light ring color and hub covers....

Rock warriors are 50mm offset vs. 25 on those.
17 vs. 18"
Forged vs. cast

Weight limit would kill it for me...

Bone stock P285/60-18 tires are spec'd by Toyota to support 2,512 pounds Load Limit. Based on that, I would be very reluctant to use any wheel that was not rated for that load + a safety factor.

HTH
Ahh, very good point. Thanks @gaijin, if anyone knows wheel tire stuff it's you brother.

I guess why I said that was thinking of a 200 as just an unloaded weight, not incorporating the roughly 3/4 ton that you can safely put in one that the stock tire obviously were chosen by the engineers to hold that 2,512. Great catch.

Do you know what the stock wheel's load rating is? I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Personally, I find the RW wheels to be the most beautiful wheel for a Land Cruiser. I can't find any other wheel that I think comes close. I thought it would look funny on my black car but after the first week I think it looks amazing. I am glad I didn't touch them and left them stock.

Received a response from Vin.

"The load rating will be 2100lbs per wheel so it's 8400lbs for all 4 corners. This is more weight that the LC's GVWR at 7275. They are plenty strong for the LC."

Thanks
Vin

Ask Vin about weight capability - that was their issue last I talked with him..... I loved their 5's on my old 80.....

"The load rating will be 2100lbs per wheel so it's 8400lbs for all 4 corners. This is more weight that the LC's GVWR at 7275. They are plenty strong for the LC."

Thanks
Vin

So ... mating the Toyota specified tire Load Rating of 2512 pounds per wheel / 10048 pounds for all 4 corners with 2100 pounds per wheel / 8400 pounds for all 4 corners is OK? I don't. In fact, I think it is a very bad idea. Further, I think that any wheel maker/supplier who thinks it is OK demonstrates a dangerous lack of understanding of the requirements.

HTH

Thanks
Vin

Further, the GVWR of my 2013 LC is 7385 pounds, not 7275 as Vin states. Additionally, the combined GAWR of my 2013 LC is 7895 pounds.

LC200DoorSticker2_08FEB16_zps214shkwz.jpg

As an additional point of interest, if Vin's 8400 pound Load Limit were OK, then the recommended tire pressure for the OEM 285/60-18 tires would be something less then the recommended minimum pressure of 26psi instead of the recommended 33psi. Perhaps more relevant to this audience, the recommended pressure for LT285/70-17 tires would be something less than the 35psi minimum recommended pressure for those tires.

Sorry, but Vin's math doesn't make sense.

Can you tell yet that I'm passionate about this?

HTH

Passionate is good, especially when it comes to safety of our vehicles. I'll be hauling around my 3 boys, so I want to make sure the decision I make on wheels is not taken lightly.

Just from a wheel standpoint, the 8400 lb limit that Vin shares, is still above both GVWR & GAWR of the LC? Depending on the year of course.
For your 2013 LC, vehicle weight is 5,730, so it would be limited to an additional 1,655 lbs of (passengers, bumpers, etc.). Is my thinking correct here?

JP

Just from a wheel standpoint, the 8400 lb limit that Vin shares, is still above both GVWR & GAWR of the LC? Depending on the year of course.
For your 2013 LC, vehicle weight is 5,730, so it would be limited to an additional 1,655 lbs of (passengers, bumpers, etc.). Is my thinking correct here?

JP

Frankly, no. Please consider what Toyota has determined what is a safe specification for Load Limit. We determine this by looking at the OEM tire size and recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure. This is a P285/60-18 tire inflated to 33psi F/R. Industry standards show us that this equals a 2,512 pound Load Limit for each wheel. Times 4, this is 10,048 pounds. When choosing other tire sizes, the recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure is calculated to result in AT LEAST the same Load Limit.

We cannot evaluate a safe Load Limit by directly comparing to GVWR or GAWR as you have. What we must consider is the design safety margin between the GVWR/GAWR and the tire/wheel Load Limit.

In the case of my 2013 LC, for example, the GVWR of 7,385 pounds is approximately 73.5% of the combined Load Limit of the wheels/tires of 10,048 pounds: 7385 / 10048 = 0.7349 * 100 = 73.49%. This indicates a designed in safety margin of approximately 26.51% GVWR:Tire/Wheel Load Limit (100% - 73.49% = 26.51% safety margin). With Vin's wheels, this safety margin shrinks to approximately 12.08% - less than half of the Toyota designed 26.51% safety margin (7385 / 8400 = 0.8792 * 100 = 87.92% then 100% - 87.92% = 12.08%). Purposely cutting the design safety margin by half seems an unsafe course of action.

The same applies to the Tire/Wheel Load Limit:GAWR ratio:

Rear axle GAWR is 4,300 pounds for the LC200. Designed Tire/Wheel Load Limit for one axle is 5,024 pounds (2,512 * 2 = 5,024). This yields a Tire/Wheel Load Limit:GAWR ratio of approximately 116.84% (5024 / 4300 = 1.1684 * 100 = 116.84% - 100% = 16.84%) which is a safety margin of approximately 16.84%. With Vin's wheels, however, this safety margin shrinks to -2.33% (4200 / 4300 = 0.9767 * 100 = 97.67% - 100% = -2.33%). This means worse than no safety margin at all! In fact, the design limit of Vin's wheels would be exceeded by 2.33% EVEN WHEN STATIC, i.e. no dynamic/live loading (this means moving, hitting potholes, turning, etc.) which should be covered by a safety margin which, in the case of Vin's wheels, does not exist. Not a wise choice.

The same calcs for the front axle with stock wheels/tires work out to (5024 / 3595 = 1.3975 * 100 = 139.75% - 100% = 39.75%) a safety margin of 39.75%. For Vin's wheels on the front axle (4200 / 3595 = 1.1683 * 100 = 116.83% - 100% = 16.83%) a safety margin of only 16.83% - less than half the design safety margin. Again, not a wise choice.

How about an easy summary of the data:

Parameter : OEM Design : Vin's Wheels

GVWR Safety Margin : 26.51% : 12.08%

GAWR (Rear) Safety Margin : 16.84% : -2.33%

GAWR (Front) Safety Margin : 39.75% : 16.83%

Respectfully, any wheel that has a Load Limit of only 2100 pounds, like Vin's wheels, is NOT a safe choice for use on the LC200.

HTH

FYI,

On a related area of tire / wheel selection, I stumbled across the following comparison tool which provides a lot a valuable information: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

Fun to play around comparing wheel/tire specs to stock.

HTH

@gaijin nice analysis! I know SCS are making these wheels for the Tundra crowd. The LC just fits the same size wheel. Does his numbers work for the tundra? I don't want to make Vin out to be the bad guy if they really meet the requirements for the tundra. They do make great wheels for the Toyota platform.

@gaijin nice analysis! I know SCS are making these wheels for the Tundra crowd. The LC just fits the same size wheel. Does his numbers work for the tundra? I don't want to make Vin out to be the bad guy if they really meet the requirements for the tundra. They do make great wheels for the Toyota platform.

Sorry, I don't have the necessary data for the Tundra.

Anyone know what the stock 18 inch wheel weighs?

Alot...... it's noticible going from the 17" RW's to the 18's......

SCS really makes nice stuff for the Price but I think it's edgey for a built truck to run those.... mall rat perhaps.

E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom