Starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2007 FJ Cruiser with 146K miles. New to me about 6 months ago and no service records.

Looking to see if any other owners have had a similar issue that has only happened to me twice now.

I go to turn the key and get a click sound accompanied with all electrical power lost, total blackout for about 60 seconds even with key in accessory or start position. After 60 seconds dash lights turn on as normal, cd changer cycles, and all settings are reset. The first time I thought it was a fluke and now about 2 weeks later the same thing happened.

First time was totally warm and second time was cold. No codes and no CEL. Thought it could be starter related, but total loss of electrical power is concerning. Any thoughts or direction? I’d like to know before I dive in head first.

How old is the battery?

It came with a die hard platinum installed and label on the side is reading 2-13 50065. I would assume mfg. date Feb 2013 based on this marking?

It came with a die hard platinum installed and label on the side is reading 2-13 50065. I would assume mfg. date Feb 2013 based on this marking?

Those are good batteries, but it is almost 7 years old. First thing to check is the battery voltage with the engine off. It should read 12.4-12.7 volts. 12.6-12.7 means it's fully charged. Less than that, and it needs charging. Less than 12.0 volts means it basically has no charge.

If the battery voltage is good and the truck will start, start it and put the multimeter back on the battery. If the alternator is charging, you should get about 13.5 - 15 volts, on the upper end of that if you increase the rpm of the engine above idle.

Tested with my multimeter and battery is 12.68 volts at engine off. Running it is reading 13.59.

Tested with my multimeter and battery is 12.68 volts at engine off. Running it is reading 13.59.

OK, well your battery is probably still good then. Alternator looks good, if 13.59 volts is at idle - should be more than that as it revs up.

Having eliminated those basic things, I would start looking for a relay or circuit breaker between the battery and the main fuse panel. Did the previous owner perhaps put some in with an auxiliary fuse panel? There may be a factory stock one too, I don't know - I don't have access to my factory service manual with the electrical schematic at present.

The previous owner did wire up a couple of lights directly to the battery using fusible links and relays. These are somewhat exposed to the elements and the truck has been in the mud, which has found itself into nooks and crannies of the engine bay and on relays.

I took time yesterday cleaning up the positive and negative battery terminals, which did look like they were slightly dirty. I had replaced a relay previously due to corrosion, so maybe its time for a proper relay box rather than fusible links & relays exposed in the engine bay?

I will continue to monitor in the meantime to see if the symptoms return.

The total blackout may indicate a bad wire in the ignition. Try jiggling the key or remove the steering column cover to look for a bare wire.

Clean the battery terminals. Remove them and actually clean them. Check all of the connections and especially the grounds. Get the battery load tested. It may pass on volts and still fail under load. Start there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom