Starter problems. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've got a bit of a starting problem... Well lack of starting. Stopped for coffee before work this morning and when I went to leave the truck started, but it sounded like the starter was stuck engaged. So I shut down and tried to restart.... Click click. Nothing. So I got a push start from a nice homeless man in sidney and was on my way. Any thoughts? I checked the wires really quick and didn't see any issues.

Probably the solenoid, its the most common thing to act up. If you open that part up you'll see the contacts, they get worn away and make s***ty contact or stick on.

Pretty easy to replace.

Probably the solenoid, its the most common thing to act up. If you open that part up you'll see the contacts, they get worn away and make s***ty contact or stick on.

Pretty easy to replace.

I second that. Exact same thing happened to me a couple years ago. Problem only showed up at first when the starter was hot from engine running.

Brian Roberts Electric sold me the contacts for super cheap 5-10 bucks or so. Just bring the old ones in to show them.

mine did that, so I hammered on it with a 1lb'r shes been great ever since! :clap:

+1 On BRAE, great guys, did a same day rebuild of my completely fried starter motor!
8jx27YM.jpg

jxaifye.jpg

Yes, that is the original starter, all 675,000kms of glory

Also, check the power to solenoid from the ignition. As it goes through the system it loses a bit.
I ended up bypassing the truck ignition with a relay to get full 12V direct from the battery with my 12HT.
Flesh electric installed the relay for me, outside of my ability to figure out the correct wiring

Got the starter working again, I just took the solenoid apart, sanded the contacts and lubed everything up. The contacts where pretty worn so I expect to have to replace at some point, but this got me going for now. And free fixes are always my favourite :beer:

Those contacts are about $5 each if that. I'd recommend getting a couple to have on hand,
there will be a next time.

Those contacts are about $5 each if that. I'd recommend getting a couple to have on hand,
there will be a next time.
Yea that was the plan. Would have liked to replace them bit I also need the truck to move haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom