Starter motor not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 73 produced a loud bang / crack noise yesterday and immediately died.

Upon opening the engine bay, we found the main power wire from the battery to the starter motor had been shaken from its clip and had fallen onto the manifold.

Result is that the outer cover melted through leaving the exposed cooper wire touching the block.

I therefore assume that this has caused some sort of short, however my knowledge of auto-electrics could be written on one half of a split atom.

We disconnected the battery in case any thing went even more pear shaped, then had a quick look.

With the only visible problem being the exposed wires, we moved it away from the block (which caused few individual wires to break), wrapped it in insulating tape, cable tied it out of the way, re-connected the battery and tried to start.

Nothing.

No click, nothing.

Bump starting worked fine, so we carried on and made sure we didn't stall going up hill. We had to move on, other wise we risked a night in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception, and the nearest road being over 30kms away.

Whilst travelling, the battery charge indicator read higher than normal (battery is only 3 months old and fully charged). It read around 14.5 rather than around 13.

However, when using the electric windows, indicators, high beams, driving lights, the headlights dim noticeably, before re-gaining normal output.

When arriving at a junction, as the revs drop, the lights dim right down, then the revs drop below normal idle, so I either had to use the hand throttle, or just keep revving (which is awkward if braking at the same time!).

My uneducated guess is that either the starter motor is stuffed (despite only being 9 months old), or there is a fuse blown.

I don't know where to find the fuses that might connect to the starter motor if this is the problem.

The truck is presently sitting outside the mechanics awaiting repair, however if i can manage to sort this out myself, I'd like to.

Of course, if there is something else to consider, please let the ideas flow!!

Thanks for reading

MY02

It was definitely a short, which should not have had any negative effect on the starter motor.
You need to find your main fuse, which will be in the engine bay somewhere, check your manual. If it did it's job, it's in 2 pieces.
Follow the positive lead from the starter up, at some point you will reach the fuse and the starter relay.

Because the circuit from your battery bank is still broken, you're not charging them and they're not providing energy back into the system. Hence you get the dimming of the headlights when you draw power somewhere else.

Find that fuse and replace it, then go through your engine bay and clean up the wires, maybe use proper zip-straps to hold them away from the ex. manifold.

Battery was newly installed in April. Would be V surprised if it was that:mad:

Island Moose,
Thanks for the advice. Will have a look and see if I can find the fuse. My Gregory's Manual doesn't seem to list a main fuse. Would this be the same as the engine fuse?

Cheers again

MY02

Well well well.

Wesintl, you were spot on!

Battery got fried when the circuit was shorted.:eek:

All fuses intact, and everything else fine.

Thankfully I managed to get the battery changed on warranty.

Cheers for the advice you guys!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom