Springs behind window regulator handles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot

SILVER Star
Threads
12-76 FJ40. What is the purpose of the spiral cone shaped spring on the window regulator handle shaft? I don't see them mentioned on the microfisch drawings but they were on my doors when I took the doors apart for the restoration.

My 4 1/2 yo Grandson managed to tear off the passenger side handle and the spring was there.

Possibilities: through 7/1980, the parts catalog shows a separate piece for the FJ55 winder handle, called a regulator gasket, but not for the FJ40. I recall seeing a hex-shaped piece of hard foam in that location, similar composition to the inner seat cushion material on some of my trucks. The catalog vaguely shows that hex shaped piece already attached to the 40 series regulator, but not as a separate part number.

You may have a fairly weak spring added by a previous owner. I'll hazard a guess that your spring or the foam piece may keep the winder arm pushed outward to allow winding the crank easier?

12-76 FJ40. What is the purpose of the spiral cone shaped spring on the window regulator handle shaft? I don't see them mentioned on the microfisch drawings but they were on my doors when I took the doors apart for the restoration.

My 4 1/2 yo Grandson managed to tear off the passenger side handle and the spring was there.

Are you talking about the C shaped clip the first the groove on the shaft for the window regulator? That is spring steel. Could possible bend it so it will snap tighter when you install them next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom