Springs and KDSS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It appears my air bags are leaking. There is a 1-1/2 inch height difference between relaxed suspension (vehicle still for a while) and after it's cranked. I was thinking about a Metal Tech conversion for stock height but wonder how the vehicle is going to react with the KDSS system. Am I going to have a problem with the rear being sprung and the front being electronically controlled?

Short answer is no, you shouldn’t have a problem.

The front suspension isn’t electronically controlled.
Only the rear suspension is. If you replace the rear airbags with a traditional coil and shock, you’ll lose this adjustability.
If you mean the KDSS being “electronically controlled”, it only affects the sway bars. Doesn’t matter if you have stock suspension, or an upgraded coil and shock in the rear /coil and strut upfront. KDSS will work with either suspension configuration.

Short answer is no, you shouldn’t have a problem.

The front suspension isn’t electronically controlled.
Only the rear suspension is. If you replace the rear airbags with a traditional coil and shock, you’ll lose this adjustability.
If you mean the KDSS being “electronically controlled”, it only affects the sway bars. Doesn’t matter if you have stock suspension, or an upgraded coil and shock in the rear /coil and strut upfront. KDSS will work with either suspension configuration.
Thanks for the clear response. I prefer a "manual" suspension on a vehicle this age. I really like Bilstein shocks, had them on my F250, and would like to put them at the 4 corners on my GX. Have a recommendation there?

Actually to clarify, all of the stock shocks are electronically actuated for "stiffness" but the rear suspension use sensors to maintain correct height with airbags.

Actually to clarify, all of the stock shocks are electronically actuated for "stiffness" but the rear suspension use sensors to maintain correct height with airbags.
So, if I go totally "manual" on the shocks/springs, will this cause more codes to be thrown?

So, if I go totally "manual" on the shocks/springs, will this cause more codes to be thrown?

It shouldn’t...mine didn’t.
What it will do is leave the dash indicator light on...the one that has the green light next to whatever ride height you are/were set to previous to taking the rear air suspension out.
Somewhere there’s a video on how to pull a few fuses to defeat that dash light.
As for a recommendation, I have an Ironman setup...their Nitro Gas series. I’m very satisfied with the quality and ride characteristics, specially for the $. They are offering a nice sale right now too...20% off on any suspension system, free traction boards, and free shipping.
Not affiliated, just a satisfied customer.

What it will do is leave the dash indicator light on...the one that has the green light next to whatever ride height you are/were set to previous to taking the rear air suspension out.
As for a recommendation, I have an Ironman setup...their Nitro Gas series. I’m very satisfied with the quality and ride characteristics, specially for the $. They are offering a nice sale right now too...20% off on any suspension system, free traction boards, and free shipping.
Thanks.

For some reason I cannot use their website to get a quote. When I try to find a store here in the US, the closest it will get is in Mexico. Any help?

Yeah, their US office and showroom are in Oregon...pretty close to Portland.
Www.ironman4x4america.com
If you click that, it takes you to their main page. You’ll see a Chat bubble pop up on the bottom right. They are real good about timely communication...they can probably quote you out in a few minutes.
They’ve got good stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom