spring swap on fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey  all!, I'm looking for info and suggestions regarding doing a spring swap in a cruiser &  leaving  it in the spring under postion( no comments about SPOA  please, jk :D), I'm  thinking 55 or 60 rears, which are longer, on all 4 corners, or maybe some domestic springs( I know the mini guys like using them). Anybody who has ever done this or can offer some suggestions would be greatly appreciated    -dingo

tlca member, - yes!, I renewed my membership

44044 Ranchos....IIRC, those are 4" lift springs, 7 leaf, from the front of a wagoneer....Mike Smythe used the no-lift version and liked them on his SOA project.

what year is your fj40, .......fj60 spring have the spring eyes bigger than the fj40 79 -, I have a fj 40 82 and and i put in all corners fj60 rear spring, you have to move the shackles perch in front and rear and put a piece off 3x2 tube in the rear, i was running 35 tires without spring over, if you want to know how much you have to move the shackles pearch let me know. ::) .now i resently put it spring over reversed snackles and in the rear put fj 45 -rears- .

I've been thinking of doing the same thing.
I was leaning toward the '60 series rear springs, or a mini truck/ford f100 hybrid pack. The mini truck main leaf is one inch longer than the '60 series, but has the center pin hole 20.5" from the front. This would pretty much keep the stock wheelbase. The other leaves would be added in to get my spring rate and arch right.
Question for trastor on the '60 series springs: 3x2 tube when putting in the rear hangers? Why did you relocate/fabricate hangers, too steep a shackle angle with the 3" longer springs? &nbsp:Did you use extended shackles? How well did the 35's fit articulate? I'd be interested to hear how it worked out before messing with mine. ::)

how much was your wheel base affected. So you used  the stock spring perch  and just moved your shackle perch? My cruiser  is a 76 so i have the different size spring eyes, i guess this would be a problem, if i  used 55's they're  the same size though i think.

As for wagoneers are fronts the best, or can you use rears as well?

hey, is this the vancouver island dingo ?

I'm doing the zact same thing. 60 rears all around is my plan, I have a 42 frame so big eye bushings isn't a problem for me.

to fit the 60 rears out back, all you need to do is flip the shackle hanger around, so that the bushing end of it is moved back a couple three inches. no big deal.

front I'll just move the fixed end hangar back a couple inches, provided I can get the sucker off from where I welded/bolted it on for my soa/sr...(yes I'm going the opposite way of everyone, back to sua!!)

i don't want to mess with my rear fixed end hanger, as they're pretty damn nice and braced on a 42,
but if it were a 40 i'd definately have a go with the rancho 44o44's.
was thinking about using them in front actually, as I'll have a blank slate up there to do whatever I want with.
cheers,
ryan

hey, is this the vancouver island dingo ?

Yes, this is he, thanks for the info, I'll have to take a look at your rig when your done, I'm off the road for a while, I broke 4 leafs in one of my rear packs, i guess that means its a good time to put a lift in finally.

TRASTOR, where ya at man, your the guy with the info, more details please :D

i m looking for old pic of my cruiser to show you the work. also you can how it look right now in the reverse rear spring question in the forum post. problaby for sunday a give you the pics. by the way, the wheelbase its only increase around 2 inch. its looks almost the same, i like more the toyota spring because its have military second spring. :D

i found one, the pearch than need to be modify are market. at the rear - red circle- you can see the mod check the 3x2 tube -green arrow- wheelbase almost the same, those tire was 34x11.50 r16, note i cut my rear fender just a little!! :D
Here in Venezuela doesnt have fj55. but some people said than it have the same leng than the fj60. see if you can confim this. ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom