Split Case Extravaganza (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...Back from the third world Toilet called the "bay area". I kinda wish the rapture would have at least let San Francisco fall into the ocean. Oh well...I'll do whatever I can to help the Mayans make a better prediction so I can plan accordingly.

Before I left I pulled some gear boxes and another I had on hand apart to make a new one. Check out the sweet Varnish on the higher time box. Lots of other interesting crud in there. Anyhoo...putting it back together now with a pretty new flywheel, centerforce clutch...bearings and re-seal..and another 4 speed I had laying around.

I also tossed in some pictures of the new and improved HF press I recomposed after bending the **** out of the one that came with it. Same basic design...bigger metal. I could have lost a testicle when that sucker bent. It happend long ago on another project, and I have been making due. But figured i'd fix it good now. BTW, mostly you don't need a press for much on the old tcases. Tubes, drifts and hammers work for most thingys that must be removed and re-assembled.

I am adding some pictures
IMG_5798.JPG
IMG_5799.JPG
IMG_5800.JPG

Nice workshop Mike!

purdy

after shifter sticks and plates finish soaking over night, i'll put it in.
IMG_5887.JPG
IMG_5918.JPG
IMG_5921.JPG

I always thought it was funny that the FJ62 slpit case has the PTO gear when the inside CAT is the way for a PTO to work work but early transfer cases got a spacer when the PTO would have worked. I'm a PTO nut so everything I work gets the PTO gear just in case. Nice job Mike. Looks real clean which seems to be the hardest part getting to that point.

Did you need anything other than a press to to do the rebuild? I need to do mine one of these days.

Did some models actually come that way, or is it an adaptation to save unneeded weight?

From sometime in 1962 until the switch to the four speed the PTO gear was standard in the three speeds. Then most four speeds came with a spacer. Never pulled the cover off my FJ62 but the spare tranny transfer has a PTO gear. I also have a 82 FJ40 tannny transfer I'm guessing it's a spacer also. It just seem funny a FJ62 which can't use a PTo in stock form got a PTO gear and the early ones didn't.

From sometime in 1962 until the switch to the four speed the PTO gear was standard in the three speeds. Then most four speeds came with a spacer. Never pulled the cover off my FJ62 but the spare tranny transfer has a PTO gear. I also have a 82 FJ40 tannny transfer I'm guessing it's a spacer also. It just seem funny a FJ62 which can't use a PTo in stock form got a PTO gear and the early ones didn't.

The only one I've seen the inside of (personally) came from an '87, which I rebuilt to go in my '74 FJ40. The TC serial number verifies it as 6/87.. It has the PTO gear.

got it in today

...Nice job Mike. Looks real clean which seems to be the hardest part getting to that point.

Thanks, John! It is so true. The cleaning is like being a dishwasher.

Did you need anything other than a press to to do the rebuild? I need to do mine one of these days.

Lots of stuff, really. Some bearing pullers, tubes, drifts, press, bunch of big sockets, breaker bars, some home made special tools, shop supplies like sealers, the actual parts, torque wrenches in inch and foot, stuff to do a clutch job to support engine..etc.

Did some models actually come that way, or is it an adaptation to save unneeded weight?

I think John covered this pretty well. I have about 10 gear boxes and only a couple have showed up with the PTO gear. That spacer is handy at the press.

Is started the day by removing the pilot bearing. That thing was JUNK. It was clearly beaten in with a way to small of socket. No wonder my syncros had a hard time slowing down the input shaft when the clutch was in. Jeesh.

I had a flywheel freshly ground.
IMG_5922.JPG
IMG_5924.JPG
IMG_5926.JPG

Interesting, Never own a 60 series or a post 8/80 FJ40 so haven't really tore into any. Some earlier four speed had the spacer but not all I've collected a few sixteen PTOs.

new centerforce clutch

Yum, pretty. This part was fun.

Clutch alignment tool? What is that? Why not use the input shaft for a three speed, if you have one laying around. :p
IMG_5945.JPG
IMG_5954.JPG
IMG_5951.JPG

Resealed the front bearing retainer

I checked the front bearing retainer on the trans before I shoved it in. Good thing, it needed a new seal bad. If you don't do this, gear oil will run all over your clutch and make a big mess.
IMG_5965.JPG
IMG_5969.JPG
IMG_5973.JPG

Off the table and into the truck

The crane makes it easy to pull the gear box off the hydraulic table and get it fastened in a nice way to the xmission jack. This makes installation a pretty easy thing for a one man band.

I'll button up the little things tomorrow. The big job is done. :)
IMG_5976.JPG
IMG_5980.JPG
IMG_5984.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom