split case breather extension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you planning to go for a swim 😁 ?
That one is actually just screwed in.
So I'd undo it, identify the thread, get or manufacture a respective nipple, and extend it with some rubber hose.
But the breather already sits quite close to the floor so 'higher up' is difficult. I have no instant idea on that, which doesn't involve a long hose...
When rising those 'breather' spots: Don't forget the tank ventilation! On my BJ73 that's a rubber hose that ends in (into) the floor crossmember next to the tank. When deep fording, that one might also take in water.
Cheers Ralf

It is a pressed fitting, mine was pretty difficult to get out but some perseverance and vise grips did the trick. This is the part you’ll want, I have a length of hose on it right now but plan to plumb it up into the engine bay eventually.
1F1C1CD2-B1A9-4550-90C6-62A3B49DFC85.jpeg

864B9689-51ED-4E92-895E-909991114404.jpeg

There’s probably a similar breather on your transmission too, so that will need to be extended as well.

It is a pressed fitting, mine was pretty difficult to get out but some perseverance and vise grips did the trick. This is the part you’ll want, I have a length of hose on it right now but plan to plumb it up into the engine bay eventually.
View attachment 3081539

View attachment 3081540

There’s probably a similar breather on your transmission too, so that will need to be extended as well.
Thanks, I only ordered one of those 😕 will see if I can get another one pronto. Of course don’t know if I will get the old one out since the trans/transfer are still on the vehicle

Thanks, I only ordered one of those 😕 will see if I can get another one pronto. Of course don’t know if I will get the old one out since the trans/transfer are still on the vehicle
Yeah, I did mine when I took the transmission out to do clutch work. It might be quite difficult to get at with the transfer case in the vehicle. That said, I’ve heard that some of them come out easier than others; mine was really stuck but yours might come out easy.

Uh. Didn't know this is a pressed fitting. I learned something today. Thank you.
When my diff breathers were clogged I wanted to inspect the gearbox breathers, too, but couldn't get to them. Luckily I didn't try to undo them 😳

Looked up the part number and it looks like it is a pressed fitting. Didn’t think about the fuel tanks. Will have to think about that one
I was under the impression that the fuel tank vented in the filler neck section which would be fairly high on the body.

Nope, at least not on my BJ73.
The check valve on the filler neck only vents the neck. On filling, air needs to go up the neck, as the normal tank ventilation can't cope with the hugh flow during filling. Additional venting with a bypass is required in case there is a choking in the neck which else would lead to bubbling and spilling then.
On my filler neck there is no opening to the air that wouldn't be closed by the filler cap.
I know some older vehicles also ventilate through the filler cap, but mine doesn't.
[sorry for my clumsy English]

On my 1985 BJ73 there is a hose that straight goes from the tank to a plastic fitting (90405-06008) that holds it inside the floor cross member.
Screenshot_20220809-180448_Chrome.jpg

Assumption apparently is that it is not affected by dust & dirt there. But when submerged to the floor, water can get into the tank, still.
Downside is: When not driving, evaporated fumes are emitted there, too.
Later vehicles thus usually have a charcoal container on the tank ventilation to catch emissions from the tank and emit it back into the tank when breathing in. But those still have an opening to the atmosphere where water could get in when deep fording.
Only later vehicles have controlled tank ventilation associated with the engine.

All I'm saying is: Also consider your tank ventilation when preparing a vehicle for deep fording.
Needed action depends on vehicle.
Happy bathing 🛁 Ralf

Nope, at least not on my BJ73.
The check valve on the filler neck only vents the neck. On filling, air needs to go up the neck, as the normal tank ventilation can't cope with the hugh flow during filling. Additional venting with a bypass is required in case there is a choking in the neck which else would lead to bubbling and spilling then.
On my filler neck there is no opening to the air that wouldn't be closed by the filler cap.
I know some older vehicles also ventilate through the filler cap, but mine doesn't.
[sorry for my clumsy English]

On my 1985 BJ73 there is a hose that straight goes from the tank to a plastic fitting (90405-06008) that holds it inside the floor cross member.
View attachment 3082163
Assumption apparently is that it is not affected by dust & dirt there. But when submerged to the floor, water can get into the tank, still.
Downside is: When not driving, evaporated fumes are emitted there, too.
Later vehicles thus usually have a charcoal container on the tank ventilation to catch emissions from the tank and emit it back into the tank when breathing in. But those still have an opening to the atmosphere where water could get in when deep fording.
Only later vehicles have controlled tank ventilation associated with the engine.

All I'm saying is: Also consider your tank ventilation when preparing a vehicle for deep fording.
Needed action depends on vehicle.
Happy bathing 🛁 Ralf
Probably not the last time today I’ll be wrong about something. 😁

Probably not the last time today I’ll be wrong about something. 😁
Hey, I also have been wrong on something in this thread already (pressed breather).
No offense.
That's how we learn from each other. And that's why I elaborate on topics; probably more than I should.
That's what I like about this forum: People are open minded, willing to ask and discuss, and eger to learn from each other; Everybody is happy on an issue mutually solved, a great trip anybody made and some nice pics anybody shared.
I never got a pushback or an asinine comment here. Love it.
Uhm sorry coldtaco. Back to breathers ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom