spindle bushing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chapel gate

GOLD Star
Threads
ive read all of the older threads relating to this.

a couple of days ago the bruiser started to vibrate from 40-70 mph, as mentioned in some other threads it feels like driving over the bumpy white lines on the motorway. i was going to do the knuckle re-build in the summer as grease has been oozing out of them since i bought the truck four years ago!

i decided to bring this forward so that i could change the spindle bushings as well, as the syptoms seemed to point this way. on inspection of the bushings there was plenty of grease on them and about a 16th" of play, one had a few score marks. in an ideal world i would change them as a matter of course. BUT over here they are £70 each! and funds are tight at the moment, if i was 100% sure these were the problem then fine, but to change them and not fix the problem would not be good...

any thoughts?

(edit) oh, i showed them to a main dealer toyota mech and he claims to have seen worse than this with no truck vibrations...

While you are at it I would pull your front driveshaft and inspect your u-joints to see if they dried up?

If the bushings pass visual inspection I wouldn't stop looking for the source of the problem because they probably aren't it.

i sort of discounted the UJ's as i grease them with every oil change, 5000 miles.

Is there any difference between on and off-throttle (power/coasting) response from the vibration?

no, the vibration is the same when coasting, a slight touch of the pedal will ease off the vibration a little.

Chapel- I also greased my u-joints religiously, but found that one of my rear joints went bad. I don't think the PO greased them very often, and one of the passages had become plugged leading to it developing a bad spot. I would check this as that solved my vibration problem.

whats the best way to check them pookie? theres no play in them, by hand. IME when they start to rattle thats when i change em:D

not long after i bought the cruiser the rear one started to rattle, i could see why as it was virtually impossible to get the grease gun on the grease nipple. was probable just left at services as too much trouble..

i didnt know that they could cause vibration.

just for information.

picked up the new spindle bushing today, sliding it over a new CV joint shaft there is about a 32nd of play, i was expecting a tighter fit than this, although this tolerance could be taken up by the grease.
have my doubts if this will solve the vibration, will see tomorrow.

i owe you two a pint!

it was indeed a UJ, the front one.

it was very badly worn, so much so that it must of wedged its self tight so that i couldnt feel the play by hand.

cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom