Speaker trouble... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Cruisers,

Im sorry, yes, an other Speaker thread but in this case, I am asking for some tech help as to what to do as I am new to this car world and I need some advisory.

So, I own a 1993 FZJ80 Japanese Model. It DOES NOT HAVE front door speakers. Only dash and rear door. So, I googled and I searched all the threads on this forum about Speakers, and everybody said the speakers in the DASH were 4 inch coaxial speakers, and the rear doors were 6 inch. Well, I bought these speakers:
0cf942e4-47f8-44ac-909d-787d9849e92e.JPG

All right. So everybody in the other threads mentioned the 6" for the back, even 6.5 " and the 4" for the dash. Popped the dash, and sheesh, the holes on the JBL's were to short from the holes, so I needed to adapt. I got those done with certain level of difficulty for an amateur. Guess what, these speakers sound WORSE than the stock speakers which i was replacing because they sounded terrible. How could this be! :-(

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.28.24 PM.png

Any way, moved to the back, popped the grills and ohh surprise, those seem like 4" speakers to me. Goody goody. WHAT NOW! So, LOL, Im stranded at this point. The factory holes for the screws don't fit this 6 Inch. The Grills WILL NOT fit, they will be exposed. What can I do in order to make these fit. It SEEMS they fir into the hole but I couldn't be sure yet... I wanted to cut the cable and try to fir them in and see but I wanted to first ask you, the experts, what should I do.

Supposing it fits in the hole.... what should I do? Drill new holes trough the door cover? Where would they thread to? If you guys can shoot ideas, please bare with me, I AM NOT AN EXPERT.

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.28.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.28.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at 10.28.38 PM.png

Ohh and by the way. I know very little about speakers, but HOW in the world is it that these 150W Peak speakers 4", sound like crap compared to the stock 10W speakers???

Thanks in advance guys!

Stefano Rota
Ecuador

There is more to speakers than just power handling. The original speakers might have been much higher quality. Or, if your Land Cruiser has the same weird little amplifiers built into the system as US models, they may be tuned to compensate for the specific frequency response of the original speakers, which would then make different speakers sound bad.

To see if your front doors have a cutout for speakers, pop the door card off. It's just held to the sheet metal of the door using plastic trim clips. This thread shows what the back side of the door card looks like:

Guess what, these speakers sound WORSE than the stock speakers which i was replacing because they sounded terrible. How could this be! :-(
A 10watt speaker will sound like crap with more than 10watts going to it.
A 150watt speaker will sound like crap with only 10watts going to it.
Put another way, unless you've upped the power capacity in the system with an amplifier, the 150w speakers are running on just the power the 10watt'ers were. This is zero sum gain.

As far as the sizing...just looking will tell you 6" speakers will not fit an existing hole. I'm betting the 6/6.5" recommendations were what could be fitted, with some work to the door card and door metal behind it.

Back in the day, this meant making a panel out of thin'ish materiel (1/8 - 3/8") into which the speaker could be mounted. Then mount the panel over top of the door card. The panel should be large enough to hold the speaker and also cover up what usually amounted to a hack job on the door card and door metal behind to allow room for the back of the speaker to nest into the door.

The panel can be painted or carpeted to match or contrast nicely with the interior color of the truck. And then the speaker cover makes the whole thing look somewhat factory and intentional.

Last edited:
There is more to speakers than just power handling. The original speakers might have been much higher quality. Or, if your Land Cruiser has the same weird little amplifiers built into the system as US models, they may be tuned to compensate for the specific frequency response of the original speakers, which would then make different speakers sound bad.

To see if your front doors have a cutout for speakers, pop the door card off. It's just held to the sheet metal of the door using plastic trim clips. This thread shows what the back side of the door card looks like:

Hello Gummy,

Thanks. Yes, as a matter a fact there is. I had no clue as in my other cars before I just added speakers and di not have this issue.... Where are these amplifiers? I had no clue.

Ill check out the door if I remove the door covers, but doubt there are more holes to fit these.

I guess just drilling holes and and adding nuts and bolts to hold in place does not work (Even if the window isn't blocked.... and it fits well...

A 10watt speaker will sound like crap with more than 10watts going to it.
A 150watt speaker will sound like crap with only 10watts going to it.
Put another way, unless you've upped the power capacity in the system with an amplifier, the 150w speakers are running on just the power the 10watt'ers were. This is zero sum gain.

As far as the sizing...just looking will tell you 6" speakers will not fit an existing hole. I'm betting the 6/6.5" recommendations were what could be fitted, with some work to the door card and door metal behind it.

Back in the day, this meant making a panel out of thin'ish materiel (1/8 - 3/8") into which the speaker could be mounted. Then mount the panel over top of the door card. The panel should be large enough to hold the speaker and also cover up what usually amounted to a hack job on the door card and door metal behind to allow room for the back of the speaker to nest into the door.

The panel can be painted or carpeted to match or contrast nicely with the interior color of the truck. And then the speaker cover makes the whole thing look somewhat factory and intentional.
Land Locked, thanks buddy, bare with me as I am ignorant in this matter. Thanks for giving me a little info here. I think this job is not something I am ready for. Hell, Im going to have to go, and ask a local AUDIO store to help, Im not good at this!

So, Ill be trying, but I thought that darn 6" speakers would fit here easily. Any way, other suggestions are fine. Thanks!

Stefano

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom