Soweto Off-Road Trailer Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One thing to mention...these Aerotow trailers were apparently sold to the public, as well as fire departments and departments of recreation all over So Cal. The company has since gone out of business, but if one can be found in good condition, they are well worth picking up. They are a really awesome design. The buckets are welded into the frame, and are water-tight. The steel used for the walls of the buckets is very light, but the shape and strong welds make the structure very sturdy. An independent tailgate provides access even when the top is down. There is plenty of clearance, and the suspension is stout. I wish these had been more popular.

Another source

With all of the construction going on in this town, I keep seeing these small generators on trailers. Just another option...find one with a bad generator and gut it.

185.jpg

Project Soweto BACK ON TRACK!

Looks like my ghetto fab trailer project just got some life breathed into it!

Keeping with the "free, cheap, or jury-rigged" theme for this trailer, I recently acquired the following 4'x6' utility trailer:

IMG_0629.jpg

It's not an M416 trailer, but it'll do as a basis to build on. It's got a sufficiently long tongue, sturdy steel frame, it's wired up, and it has a clean title with my name on it. A good buddy of mine is getting married this May, doesn't have the room for the trailer, and knew I'd do something with it, so he dropped it off in the front yard, handed me the title and said "Do it up!"

First to go are the wood slats, then the bolt-on 1 7/8" ball, then the late '70s Honda CVCC rims and hubs. Build/find a short tub/tailgate, some storage boxes, fab up a rack for the roof tent, weld up a pintle hoop, and we'll see from there.

Back in business.

I've been wondering what was happening with this build... almost thought you gave up.

updates?

Fortunately, yes. Funny you should ask.

As the realization occurs to me that my conventional Viking tent trailer, aside from the SOA conversion and shocks, is almost totally unsuitable for all but the most mild camping scenarios, my attention has come back to building that rough-road trailer I was dreaming about before.

Here's what's next:

--SOA
--Beefier tires and rims
--shock mounts/shocks
--strip all the wood out
--repaint
--new wood floor
--build box
--build hoop cage over floor
--install front jack and floor stabilizers
--pintle hook install

The goal now is much simpler. No complicated accessories or nifty gadgets. My hope is to build a durable, lockable, rough-road ready utility trailer with a removable cage, and my roof tent on top. Having a place to stow my gear, ready at a moment's notice, is the intention. To be able to just fill the gerry-cans, stock the cooler, hook up and go--that's the ideal.

I'm in the process of a build as well. Picked up a bombed out 4x6 enclosed in sad shape I am building off. I suspect your trailer has a 2k axle like mine......Scrap it.

After pulling mine apart to check the bearings I don't think its up to the off road pounding. The stub is only 1 inch diameter. 1000lb bouncing on rocks it won't take long to bend or snap.
I assume you would like to match wheels to the truck. 6 lug hubs generally have 1.75 inch inner bearings and 1.25 outer bearings. Not an uncommon size for 3500lb axle. A LOT more beef. you can pick up 3500lb bare axles for $70. Complete ready to go with brakes specked to your frame for around $200. plus shipping if you cant find a local place
http://www.etrailerpart.com/35ktraileraxle.htm

With idler hubs for around $100. Plus shipping.

The slipper springs also suck for the application. The dirt will get up in there grinding away at the spring and plate and be a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom