1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SouthWest 70's Social - Oct 27-29, 2017

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by wardharris, Jun 24, 2017.

I would be interested in attending

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Beastiethe70

Beastiethe70 The Girl with the Silver 70 SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    So what's the likelihood we could pull this plan together for this year?

I'm keen on getting as much LC time in as possible.

2. Hondu

Hondu Where’s Twerkerville?? SILVER Star

Media:
    As am I! I am going to organize a trip for myself around Thanksgiving. Somewhere in E/S UT. 3-5 days, 850 miles +/- RT from GJ, CO. Guaranteed to get the heart pounding at least 5x per day or your money back. Anyone who wants to join can message me. Txt works best- 970.372.7048. :smokin:

3. NM Frontier

NM Frontier SILVER Star

I am still down with this!

Just been super busy and haven't been able to track this thread.

Oct-Nov in SE Utah can be the best time to be there

Tennessee Jed and Beastiethe70 like this.
  4. ridindurty

ridindurty

I have casually been reading through this thread for the past couple of months. I truly love the idea of a Western Edition Event – I truly like where you all are going with this and finally opted to chime in after talking with Steve Jackson about it as well. After given it some thought I wanted to share some ideas/thoughts on such a fantastic opportunity with this ever expanding 70s community.

I have participated in plethora Toyota based rallies (events) as a participant, trail leader and host and have a general idea of what’s required to stage an event worth everyone’s investment in time/money. I also gave a lot of thought as to locations after reading everyone’s’ suggestions and insights.

First question that needs to be clearly addressed is are you (we) looking for a recurring “event” or a “trail run”? This is one of the most pertinent questions that needs to be addressed as it drastically alters the dynamics of this. A second major question to address is time of year. I will address locations first. Many of the locations mentioned on this thread for a Western EVENT are nothing more than Trail Runs with the bros. I love Green River as much as anyone – but if you gather 40+ rigs logistically it doesn’t work. Alaska – great trip for a few rigs as a bucket list run– certainly not a recurring “event”. A recurring event should have the potential to grow and expand over time. Trail runs are limited in size and would be crushed by BLM once it became an organized event/trail run. I actually like Woodys suggestion (St George area) and briefly spoke with him about it at the FJ Summit this year and love the sound if it. Personally I have limited knowledge of the area though which handicaps me personally. I love Moab – but as we all agree summer is too hot there – for St George too.

Time of year. The shoulder seasons are indeed fun – but they can limit participants. I think 70s are more family oriented – and it’s often hard for families to take a week off (or large part of it) in the shoulder seasons. Summers are logistically easier as a whole to plan a recurring event around. This statement doesn’t apply to all – it’s a generalized statement so don’t be offended if this doesn’t apply to you personally.

Albeit I know this isn’t a popular statement to make after reading through this thread – but logistically Ouray or Silverton area are indeed the most compatible locations to host a recurring event. For those that state it’s “overplayed” because of the FJ Summit and 100s in the Hills (200s didn’t meet there this year) – how many 70s owners attend those events? In 10 years of attending the FJ Summit I can count a total of zero 70s there. 100s In The Hills – that goes without saying as it’s a 100s event.

Logistics – the nucleus of organizing a fun, engaging family event that will make people want to return to year after year.

BLM/Permits/Insurance – To organize a true “event” in Utah/Colorado you need all three of these factors needs to be addressed. I can’t imagine most states don’t – I know these two do. This is the behind the scenes most participants are unfamiliar with.

Trail Options - Ouray/Silverton area offers a plethora of trail options; from more advanced to scenic. Not all 70s owners will want to beat their rig into the ground. For anyone interested in that – I can certainly oblige and take you to those trails.

Accommodations – Having attended many events – I find it pretty fun to all be in close proximity. It’s great to swap stories, check out each other rigs, and meet new people from new/other locations while staying near each other. I am aware there are some fantastic options to host groups from 10-300 out of in this area.

Sponsors – They can really make an event SUPER fun and add a great element to this. Sponsors like a “home base” and trail runs makes that hard. A central location helps increase the possibility of gaining a sponsor or two.

Organization – Aside from permits/insurance/accommodations etc being arduous time consuming tasks – organizing a quality event requires a lot of organizing. From the website, registration process (truly a difficult task with a significant amount of registrants), organizing trail leaders, selecting a breve or trail options, accommodation options, catering (if applicable), t-shirts, staging areas, registration sites etc.

Again, if the objective is a bro run on a trail for a few nights – that can be handled with texts/emails and a confirmed meet up time; done. If the desire is a classy, well organized event worth investing 4-7 days of your vacation time into – that requires a lot of logistics and organization to ensure it’s a well thought out “event”. A well-organized event could pull 70s owners from all over North America – and can truly be a lot of fun.

I am curious to hear some feedback from you all. I do like Woodys location choice, to reiterate I am simply handicapped on knowledge of the area. Woody if you want to head it up – I am more than willing to assist with the parts of the logistics. Personally my knowledge of Ouray/Silverton and my critical contacts lists makes that area easier for me to organize a memorable event out of. It simply checks off a ton of boxes required to stage such an event out of and I am confident I could accomplish such a feat.

I put myself out there for the ridicule and tongue lashing I know– but I thought I would further this conversation about such a great idea you all have brought up. I am interested to hear thoughtful ideas, suggestions and even constructive criticism.

5. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I have stickied this thread to assist in planning purposes if any thing comes of it.

Tennessee Jed likes this.
  6. fireball

fireball SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    October in SW Utah is most appealing to me.

perrobravo and Beastiethe70 like this.
  7. Tennessee Jed

Tennessee Jed SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I was talking to a fellow attendee of the 70 Meet this weekend and asked him about Cruise Moab. The way he described it sounded great to me for how an event should be organized, with the proviso that I'd like more intensive long distance opportunities. I've attended multiple trail runs, and a few 2 - 3 day events, but always here locally - never out west. What would really punch my ticket is long distance travel and some nights spent out around the fire - up in a slot canyon somewhere - 8 or 10 rigs up under a rock shelter...that kind of thing. I don't know the legalities and logistics of making that fantasy come true, but that's what I dream of, and to me that's the west. Or at least the southwest. I don't care anything about trying to climb up over stone shelves all day, but that's JUST ME, and all tastes can be catered for.

And while the discussion invariably circles back around to AZ/UT (and there ain't nothin wrong with that!) I could get also get all worked up over NM, CA/NV, northern CO/WY, etc etc. Lots of places with miles of bad road and craft beer.

divemedic likes this.
  8. Owyhee Jackass

Owyhee Jackass

Bro-run. No insurance, no permits, Keep It Simple S....., meet up, hang out, hit a trail (if you feel like it) , something like the 45 run.

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Regarding a "Cruise Moab" type event I can tell you that the Rising Sun club spends an enormous amount of time and energy putting that event on. It verges on a year-round job to pull it off.

Gun Runner 5 and Tennessee Jed like this.
  10. Beastiethe70

Media:
    Albums:
    I think if we are going to pull something together for this year, it's going to be more relaxed and just a gathering of folks who share similar interest.

Let's pick a weekend and location and meet up.

Next year, if we choose we could develop this event further, but for this year, again let's just all meet up in a great location, and enjoy some beautiful scenery.

11. joekatana

joekatana SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Following this and after having just attended the other 70 series meet and greet I want to add that if the trails that are chosen are being frequently traveled by families in 2 wheel drive yaris and other corolla's I am out .

On Friday we drove around on gravel roads where you really do not need 4wd cars for and especially not the kind that has lockers and all other overlanding gear,Saturday the group got split up and some of us went wheeling,a bunch of the guys that need lockers on their rigs still went of driving 2wd gravel roads while the last guy in our group followed us on the trails in his stock 1970 something open open FJ40 ;) Needles to say we all had a blast on Saturday !

Just my opinion but 70 series are very capable trail rigs so I would be up for trail rides not just the rounded up cattle feeling and talk about what your rig can do in theory ,let's go out and play with our toys!

12. Beastiethe70

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm going to propose a date.

Sticking with @woody 's originally proposed weekend of October 27-29.

The weather should be good in Utah if that ends up being the location. If Ouray/Telluride/Silverton ends up being our spot temps would be around the mid 30s, snow may be of concern at that time.

If we decide on a date and location soon, I could put together a decal and have stickers made.

woody likes this.
  13. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    The trails around Ouray/Telluride already have snow....most trails will be closed soon I'd think.

SouthWest 70's Social - Oct 27-29 - Hurricane UT

Camping: for "improved" spots, Sand Hollow State Park is excellent. You can also camp along the reservoir. The offroad play trails are 5 minutes away. Sand Hollow State Park | Utah State Parks

For "remote", I'd suggest Toquerville Falls....beautiful spot, accessed by a high-clearance road (4WD useful, but not necessarily required) and easy access back into the offroad options. The radio towers on the ridge above have views of the back of Zion, as well as 25+ miles views to the AZ strip.

For "spoiled rottin", there are a number of hotels in the area, and the IH8MUD HQ has 3 rooms with 4 queen beds avail - reserve early ;) (@Beastiethe70 has visited a few times!)

Daytime highs should be in the 70's, nights in the 40's. Obviously, it's SW-UT so anything can happen...lol

The OHV areas at Sand Hollow will challenge a buggy on 42's, but I can drive my BJ74 within 50 yards of those spots, and many of the trails have rating choices between 4 and 8 depending on lines....options to challenge everyone as much as they choose, with spectacular views of the Arizona strip, Pine Valley Mountains and Zion National Park. One day trip might include a run down to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and back...nearly all dirt roads, 200 miles round trip. Another day-longer run might run around the mountains and thru Pine Valley...anticipate snow on this route.

CartoTracks has done a ton of mapping in this area as well, so easy to explore the OHV park areas and know where you are on the trails.

Meals: I can arrange a night in at Lonny Boy's BBQ in Hurricane for one night (they have beer), and have our grill hot here at the HQ for another night for a potlock.

Flights: just in case someone opts to fly in....Las Vegas is 2 hours away, and there is a shuttle to StG that runs regularly. St George has a very nice airport as well, but will include more jumps.

What did I miss?

lineup.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    theferg, jfrench, perrobravo and 5 others like this.
  14. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Room reserved at IH8mud HQ.

Going to SEMA this year so it works out perfectly.

SteveJackson, joekatana and woody like this.
  15. Beastiethe70

Media:
    Albums:
    Done and done. It's on the calendar and the plan is perfect! Now to get everyone on board.

@woody may I reserve a spot with you as well?

I'll pull together a design if everyone is interested in stickers.

perrobravo, joekatana and woody like this.
  16. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    One room with two queen beds left at the HQ...or, RV hooks outside and/or floor space :)

Oh, and our camper will be avail, comfy queen bed there too.

There are a few new/nice hotels in La Verkin too....close to the HQ and VERY good coffee :) (River Rock Roasting)

beno, joekatana and Beastiethe70 like this.
  17. LDowney

LDowney

Joe,
    I resemble this description. My 40 that I drove this weekend was built in 1981. If it resembles a 1970, then I appear to be failing to maintain the her as well as she merits.:doh: I will strive to do better.

Great to see you this weekend. You appear to be home safe and sound. I hope your drive back was uneventful.

roma042987, Gun Runner 5 and coldtaco like this.
  18. joekatana

joekatana SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I am very sorry Larry to make your beloved 40 a decade older ;)

I got home safe and sound and had a blast wheeling with you, I should stop replying on treads when I am barely awake

LDowney likes this.
  19. perrobravo

perrobravo SILVER Star

I'm in! Although I may need to bring an additional vehicle (to help fit family, dog, beer, etc.).

[​IMG]

20. jfrench

jfrench

95% in. Looking forward to meeting more MUD royalty. For those not staying at IH8MUD HQ, where do people want to camp/stay? I'd love to camp but in the interest of camaraderie am perfectly happy sleeping in my truck at HQ. Thanks @woody for nailing it down!

Beastiethe70 likes this.
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">

Tags: