Solved: 2007 Sequoia, front wheel is stuck to the hub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ozarkmud

SILVER Star
Threads
I can't get the wheel off to do the lower balljoint. I've tried hammerining at the wheel, prying, PB Blaster, and letting off the jack to put pressure on it. Should I just go for a drive? I'm worried other wheels may be stuck. Haven't had this happen before, but it's the first time removing the wheels on this rig.

Neighbor was suggesting to pull the dust cover off the hub, the one that covers the CV nut, but I'm 98% sure it's part of the hub and not needed to get the wheel off.

Would appreciate any advice you can offer.

Sounds like you've tried everything. Are your rims aluminum? I feel better hitting the actual wheel if it's a steel wheel with a dead blow hammer than an aluminum one. I'd keep at it hitting the wheel and hitting the tire all around it too. Hits to the backside of the rim will work better. Really get some full swings at the tire too being careful not to knock yourself out with the rebound. :D I'd turn the wheel out so you can hit it in the middle and use a full sized sledge on the tire. I guess if you put on the lugs on till they stop and then back them off 1/2 a turn or so and take it down the street and it may break free, but that would be the last thing I would try. I don't think the dust cover has anything to do with getting the wheel off either.....I mean is the edge of it pressed against the inside of the rim and if so could you even get it off? Obviously once you get it off, coat the hub with anti-seize so this never happens again!

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, they're aluminium. I wonder if steel is less likely to stick like this. I don't feel great wacking it on the aluminium wheel, but I'm hoping it'll break off before something breaks.

I'm just thinking that all of these may be stuck, so a drive could be the fastest way to get them off. Although loose wheels sounds a little sketchy. Good idea though to turn the wheel and hit from the inside. I'll have to try that.

Anti-seize is a good idea. Maybe that or a little grease. The corrosion on this rig isn't terrible, but there's definitely some.

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, they're aluminium. I wonder if steel is less likely to stick like this. I don't feel great wacking it on the aluminium wheel, but I'm hoping it'll break off before something breaks.

I'm just thinking that all of these may be stuck, so a drive could be the fastest way to get them off. Although loose wheels sounds a little sketchy. Good idea though to turn the wheel and hit from the inside. I'll have to try that.

Anti-seize is a good idea. Maybe that or a little grease. The corrosion on this rig isn't terrible, but there's definitely some.
Steel might be worse, rust to rust. Aluminum just corrodes.
Regardeless, I've always used anti-seize on all my vehicles' hubs/wheels....works great.

Loosen but don't remove the lug nuts (put keep a few thread on each of them) and drive the vehicle slowly for a few feet, applying the breaks to stop. Reverse and go forward until you hear the wheel "pop". The loosened lug nuts should keep it from falling off.

Liberally coat the hub and inner wheel with anti-seize or Fluid Film when you reinstall it.

Driving with the lug nuts loose did the trick! I did it to all of them at once, assuming they may all be some degree of stuck. I thought I felt/heard it give way in the first few feet, but I drove a but further just to be sure I'd have a good chance.

Thanks for the help!

Driving with the lug nuts loose did the trick! I did it to all of them at once, assuming they may all be some degree of stuck. I thought I felt/heard it give way in the first few feet, but I drove a but further just to be sure I'd have a good chance.

Thanks for the help!
Sweet!!!!

Mine were stuck like this too. It took a sledge and hitting the back of the tire and they broke free. I put a liberal amount of anti seize on them when reinstalling. How did your old ball joints look?

Mine were stuck like this too. It took a sledge and hitting the back of the tire and they broke free. I put a liberal amount of anti seize on them when reinstalling. How did your old ball joints look?

That's funny that yours were seized on as well. I wonder if it's something that this wheel material is more prone to. My tire codes said 2019, so it hasn't been *that* long that they've been on there.

My tie rod ends looked... okay, I guess. I didn't feel them very well but the alignment doesn't seem bad and there was nothing glaring. They probably should be replaced, but I'm fine with putting it off.

The lower ball joints were a bit corroded but cosmetically okay. The play was bad though, could even feel it not mounted up. Very worn out.

I will say that I got the 4Runner ball joints mixed up momentarily, and they looked much smaller (at least the footprint of it) than the Sequoia ball joints. It does appear that they beefed up the part for the bigger vehicle to some degree.

It's a dissimilar metal issue that is exasberated by the junk they put on roads. I have to give all my aluminum rimmed vehicles a good donkey kick even though I put anti seize on the hub, flange and studs. Still better than having to beat the snot out of them. I have a parts 88 4runner that I am afraid I will never get the aluminum wheels off.

It's a dissimilar metal issue that is exasberated by the junk they put on roads. I have to give all my aluminum rimmed vehicles a good donkey kick even though I put anti seize on the hub, flange and studs. Still better than having to beat the snot out of them. I have a parts 88 4runner that I am afraid I will never get the aluminum wheels off.
Try a pry bar between the wheel and the lower suspension. I hate the sound of it myself, but it works well. (put a cushion under the pry bar to wheel). I have seen it used many times in our shop. Lots of wheels come in siezed to the hub. Leave a lug nut slightly threaded on the stud, so the wheel doesnt come flying off and hurt someone.

Had this issue with my 2nd gen and my set of evo's. All 4 wheels were stuck on which I found out when doing my pads and rotors. I had a decent weighted slegde and kept at it while rotating the tire instead of focusing on one spot. I remember taking the boot to it a few times, pretty frustrating but eventually came out on top. Added some lubricant and hopefully don't have the issue again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom