Solution for front hubs sticking out past wheel center caps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just picked up a set of Method 703 Bead Grips. Love them, but the front hubs stick out past the wheel center caps. At first I thought of just painting the hubs black, but figured I would try to print something instead. Note that it's printed in white right now because that's the color I had loaded in the printer, but I'm going to print them in black next and run them for a while to make sure everything is solid.

Once everything is tested, I'll put the 3d files up so anyone can print them if they need them.

1669952678160.png

1669952694977.png

The original cap inserts into the slots in the printed extension
1669952727547.png

1669952748445.png

Fully assembled:
1669952764662.png

Five file limit per post :/

This is a nice solution. There is at least one guy here that just prints up taller one piece caps, this could be an option for guys who would rather use the Method cap.

very nice. it amazes me what can be 3d printed. I wonder how the material will hold up to aging over time, especially with UV exposure ?

very nice. it amazes me what can be 3d printed. I wonder how the material will hold up to aging over time, especially with UV exposure ?
I'm printing them with PETG filament. It's very tough, won't melt in the hot sun, and is very resistant to water, UV, and chemicals!

Another option is to hit them with a coat of paint or plastidip.

I looked at the cost to print these "professionally" for those who don't have a printer or who want REALLY high quality parts. They cost about $50-$80 each to print at shapeways, depending on the material you choose. Remember you only need 2 of them for the fronts.
Once I put the models online, that will be an option for folks.

I looked at the cost to print these "professionally" for those who don't have a printer or who want REALLY high quality parts. They cost about $50-$80 each to print at shapeways, depending on the material you choose. Remember you only need 2 of them for the fronts.
Once I put the models online, that will be an option for folks.
I could just be picky, but I'd want to run a full set so the front wheels didn't look different than the rears. :meh:

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take your rig to print one of these?

I could just be picky, but I'd want to run a full set so the front wheels didn't look different than the rears. :meh:

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take your rig to print one of these?
Totally makes sense.

It takes my machine about an hour maybe? I'll probably print the final versions with a tighter infill for more strength, so maybe a little longer.

Was wondering if you ever posted the 3D file for these. I just ordered some 701 Methods that should be here tomorrow and I was going to have my brother print me a pair if available. Thanks!

@cryptyk

Appreciate you on your 3D file!

I got some 705s and looked up method website and it was same spec as 703.

So, had family friend print me couple out and it worked out perfectly. He used black plastic. Not exactly sure which version/type but says it hold better at higher temp. No modification after printing. It just clicked together and fit the wheels perfectly. I didn’t sand anything down. Kinda liked the micro lines on it.

I think the depth is perfect. Not too long and it looks OEM (nobody will know it was 3D printed).

Thanks again

IMG_7980.jpeg

IMG_7998.jpeg

IMG_7995.jpeg

I reprinted the Method wheel cap extensions in NylonX with Carbon Fiber for some extra durability. They turned out much better than the previous PETG prints. Highly recommend if your printer can handle it!
1710859167141.png

On the left are the previous PETG prints. Not bad, but a little glossy and you could see the layer lines. They also would snap tabs off if you weren't careful installing them. The new ones on the right are right out of the printer - no sanding or anything needed. Zero lines, nice matte textured finish, and the Nylon+CF is WAY tougher. It's also more resistant to heat and chemicals. They should last a lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom