SOLD please delete this post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj40charles

SILVER Star
Threads
Re: For Sale PTO gear from a 74 FJ40.

ttt

Sor shows the fine spline change in 9/73. This should fit my 10/73 then, correct?
Is nothing included other than the gears and the case? Shifters? D-shaft flange?
Pic?

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=5;threadid=7846;start=msg74171#msg74171 date=1071102814]
Sor shows the fine spline change in 9/73. This should fit my 10/73 then, correct?
Is nothing included other than the gears and the case? Shifters? D-shaft flange?
Pic?
[/quote]

If this is a 16 spline gear, which is what is should be for a '74(four-speed truck), then if you have a four speed in your truck, you will be good to go. If you have a three-speed, you will need the 10-spline version, which, if this gear really came from a '74, while I have seen 01/74 trucks with three-speeds, it is not common, but it would not work with a three-speed.

I guess that if he posted the spline count of the gear, since '74 is a transition year, it would help clear things up. :)

-Steve

For Sale PTO gear from a 74 FJ40.

Oh, and I do not think that it is the whole PTO unit, but rather just the gear that would supply power to the PTO gear box. I think that a PTO gear box would go for a lot more money...

-Steve

Thats what I started to think..
A guy can be hopeful can't he?
You know much more than I, but I thought that transition year '74's w/4spd had 3 spd cases. Hence the transition gear that SOR sells. I checked RPM's on a transition cruiser in low range, and got that he had a 3 spd case.
???

If you want a PTO gear for a 10 spline output shaft I think I have one! Let me know if you're interested.

OK, so sometimes I can not read, nor comprehend...

Sub text stated that it is a fine spline pto gear, which would be for a four speed set up, pre-80.

1974 is the transition year, hence the "transition gear" that makes a three speed t-case work with a four speed trans.

I do not find the combo of a 2.3 ratio t-case on a four-speed, from Toyota, as being something that is not possible, during the transition period, 9/73-1/75.During that time, anything could be possible. I have seen a three speed, jan-74 truck, have the larger u-joints, but be set for a three-speed lenght, and this was not "owner created". Some where I thought that I remembered seeing an "option" in 73-55's for the four speed..

Blah, blah blah....

My T/C came with the PTO gear in place, stock. Did the 4 speeds not come with them? I'd sure check before I bought: you might have a perfectly good one rolling around in there.

Thanks for the warnings guys.
Poser- There was a 4 spd with a low first gear (not h42) available in F-engined 55's, but not in the US IIRC.

Around '76, Toyota started installing the spacer, instead of the PTO gear... You may have one Bailey... Drop the side cover of your t-case(after you have drained the gear oil :) )if you really are interested...

Some silicone, and you are good to go, and know if you"need" one. :D

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom