Soft Tops/Bows and Soft Doors F/R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Soft Tops will come in either Vinyl or Canvas. Colors available currently are O.D. Green, Tan, Grey, and Black. Window design is going to be a 5 window design for those who want to retain their stock barn style doors or a 6 window for those ordering the rear soft doors. The intent is to be able to supply an entire kit with bows/soft top and soft doors with all hinges and hardware. Also after the first run these will be stored in here in the U.S. for quick delivery. I want good feed back before I bring in a whole container.

If you are interested in building a custom order send me an e-mail at jasontraylor@gmail.com.

Soft Top with Roll up rear (most standard in the US..for use with small rear barn doors or a tailgate) $995
Soft Top for rear soft Doors. $1095
Bows for standard top $845
Bows with rear soft doors and hinges (pictured below) $1195

A little bit of surface rust. Were sitting outside a few months before they were shipped here with the FJ43 and then a couple of weeks about 1/4 mile away from the pacific ocean. Working on an option to powder coat if wanted. Can do custom colors as well (I will be matching mine Freedom Red).

https://picasaweb.google.com/100664534732951746186/FJ40BowsFrameAndDoors

Finally got some photos of the top installed. I know how pictures of the rear doors. For those who do not want the doors it is the standard roll down like you see on the sides but with one window.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100664534732951746186/April162012

Waiting until right before shipment to accept deposits. Shipping will all be different (some may want to pick them up) so that will be charged upon arrival of tops/bows. Tops shouldn't be to bad and bows will probably be just over $100 depending on location. Will all arrive at 97459.

Once I get 15 items (bows or tops) will place the order. If I meet it by the end of next week it should be here by Mid June. A little late for the season but better than never. On a side note my sister-in-law in going to be making tops (already has one made and is test fitting it) so if you want something custom and of really high quality that will be rolling out the door soon as well. I've just been helping her get it started though and won't have much to do with it once she is up and running.

EDIT/UPDATE as of 1MAY2012:
6 of 15

Addicted56: 2X top standard (OD Green/Canvas, Tan/Canvas), 2X bows standard, 1x bows w/doors (PAID) :)
Dvollebregt: 1X top standard (Black/ Vinyl), 1x bows standard (Pending)
Cruiserjunkie: 1X bows standard (Pending)
Will: 1X Rear bottom doors (Pending)

Last edited:
I would be interested in rear barn doors if they are overly expensive. Any idea of what you might be charging for a set?

I would be interested in the soft top ambulance style soft top doors. Plus the extra rear bows to make then work OEM bpws. Most ambulance open on rigth side first. In the US our barn door opened left side first with the spare tire on the right side. Modifying the ambulance door to fit our stock barn doors and open left side first would be great. Then if you could get out of this cruiser and use it to make some top that match the correct early top would also be great. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/541819-barn-find-colombia-fj40-pics-fb.html

I would be interested in the soft top ambulance style soft top doors. Plus the extra rear bows to make then work OEM bpws. Most ambulance open on rigth side first. In the US our barn door opened left side first with the spare tire on the right side. Modifying the ambulance door to fit our stock barn doors and open left side first would be great. Then if you could get out of this cruiser and use it to make some top that match the correct early top would also be great. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/541819-barn-find-colombia-fj40-pics-fb.html

Thank you for the info and I'll see what we can do. I have looked and in Colombia where these are going to be coming from the spares are on the left side but these doors are designed to open with the left door first. Let me work out all of the bugs and small details on this first set coming in. I appreciate the info and things to look for.

Last edited:
I would be interested in rear barn doors if they are overly expensive. Any idea of what you might be charging for a set?

I will have to get a breakdown of the component parts of the soft top in order to get a good idea on what it costs just to order the rear doors and that most rearward bow. I won't put out final prices until I test this first version out. We can provide cloth for those that already have doors and want to match a new top and we can do the same for front soft top doors until we are able to produce those.

Front soft top doors.

OD front soft doors, soft top, tailgate (if available) otherwise barn doors and soft rear doors (unless I pick up a good original tailgate first).Obviously this will be predicated on what pricing looks like once you get it worked out. Will tinted windows be an option?

OD front soft doors, soft top, tailgate (if available) otherwise barn doors and soft rear doors (unless I pick up a good original tailgate first).Obviously this will be predicated on what pricing looks like once you get it worked out. Will tinted windows be an option?

I didn't think about a tailgate as a couple seem to be available here in the states already, but I'm starting to notice they are not as similar to the OEM setup. I'm sure we can come up with something though and can adjust the soft top to fit the tailgate.

As to the tinted windows I can ask would probably be a custom order but I never say never and I'm sure we can work it out. It looks like it will be awhile yet before I can get exact pricing but I should be able to get a general quote out soon.

Thanks and keep them coming if you are interested. This is really helping me understand what people want (apparently front doors).

I would be interested in a tailgate instead of the rear barn doors.

I didn't think about a tailgate as a couple seem to be available here in the states already, but I'm starting to notice they are not as similar to the OEM setup. I'm sure we can come up with something though and can adjust the soft top to fit the tailgate.

Unless your just planning on importing soft tops with ambulance doors there isn't any difference needed on the soft top with barn door or tailgate as long as both are OEM.

As for the tow piece soft top ambulance doors. Here in the US unless you have a 75 or newer the spare tire is on the passenger's side. Every picture I've seen of the ambulance doors the passenger's open first. This is a problem as it means you can't open the door with out opening the spare tire first. This defeats the purpose as it doesn't allow a passenger in the back to let themselves out. Plus it puts the license plate holder behind the spare tire. The doors you have pictured in the first post are set up to work for the 75 and later FJ40s here and that's only if they figure a way to use the hinges. These doors will bolt directly onto the pre 75s with barn doors but will open the wrong side first. Plus the bracket for the license plate is for a 74 or later, Might be a option to just leave that off.

Unless your just planning on importing soft tops with ambulance doors there isn't any difference needed on the soft top with barn door or tailgate as long as both are OEM.

As for the tow piece soft top ambulance doors. Here in the US unless you have a 75 or newer the spare tire is on the passenger's side. Every picture I've seen of the ambulance doors the passenger's open first. This is a problem as it means you can't open the door with out opening the spare tire first. This defeats the purpose as it doesn't allow a passenger in the back to let themselves out. Plus it puts the license plate holder behind the spare tire. The doors you have pictured in the first post are set up to work for the 75 and later FJ40s here and that's only if they figure a way to use the hinges. These doors will bolt directly onto the pre 75s with barn doors but will open the wrong side first. Plus the bracket for the license plate is for a 74 or later, Might be a option to just leave that off.

Thank you for the information. We will have to change that up and try to come up with a more universal way for all of the years.

Waiting to here back from my partner and I think we will have the prices finalized and I can post them up here. Right now I am aiming to have them in this spring so we can get them all out prior to the summer rush.

Looks like we were able to meet Real Steel's prices on Tubes and just a tad bit over OCD tops but these will be in stock and ready for immediate shipment unless custom ordered which may take a few months. I tried to post the rear doors at about what used non-rusted out barn doors have been going for in the classifieds. Only difference is you get brand new ones with the provision for the soft top and frames to include the frames and hinges.

Now someone buy my FJ43 so I can fund the first large shipment!!! I will be adding another poll here soon so I can ensure I stock the most popular colors and materials in stock. That is the one problem with this as custom orders are available but require a wait time of up to a few months. Hopefully I don't order any duds.

addicted56 said:
I will be adding another poll here soon so I can ensure I stock the most popular colors and materials in stock. That is the one problem with this as custom orders are available but require a wait time of up to a few months. Hopefully I don't order any duds.

Khaki, OD green and black canvas. That's all you really need. I would just do 7 windows to start.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

I appreciate your feedback. I'm sure you learned a lot thru your stint with the Paki tops. That is what I will do for colors. Now just need to figure out the Vinyl vs Canvas and soft doors VS a rear flap. I have yet to get a great picture and side by side with the canvas and the vinyl.

I'll have pics up here soon as well.

Khaki, OD green and black canvas. That's all you really need. I would just do 7 windows to start.

I agree this are probably the most popular colors most seem to have wanted canvas. But a white vinyl is really the correct when doing a OEM restore. I personally won't be needing any FJ40 top at this time unless you can figure a way to make the early (63 and earlier) top. But that would be in a khaki canvas.

Year ago when Kayline was making tops to fit the OEM bow they included enough extra material to reskin the front doors. But back then only OEM bows were available and all thos came with soft door in the US. Things have changed and there are enough after market bows and people running hard doors that you may make that a option instead of standard.

Any chance steel 1/2 doors might be an option at some point?

I can find out. It seems that most just made their own and it was fairly simple to do given the abundance of doors here in the states that already fit. Also I know they are not steel but Aquala makes a few really nice sets of half doors that are just a tad bit over $750 if I remember correctly. But let me see what I can do.

And thank you for all of the feedback. I need to figure out how to put up a poll today.

Jason, Charlie here. It really looks as though things are going well. I would also be interested in the rear doors that you have pictured. We have commuicated through email and PMs. Anxiously waiting for that first shipment.
Charlie

Living in the Past said:
I agree this are probably the most popular colors most seem to have wanted canvas. But a white vinyl is really the correct when doing a OEM restore.

I got one white vinyl top out of the fifty or so tops I sold and it took about two years to sell.

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom