So where are all the modded 100s?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChuckB

SILVER Star
Threads
I was just wondering how the 100s actually do offroad? I know this board is primarily dominated by 80s, but I know there are some 100s lurking out there. Or people who have wheeled with them. I have a 60 right now (looking for something a little more freeway friendly) but want to step up to an 80('93-97)/100 ('98-99 w/rear locker) and was hoping you all could share your opinions and advice with me. I know IFS is probably the single biggest limiting factor on the 100s, but can it still hold its own despite IFS? For me its a toss up between the 80/100 because there are many pros and cons to both sides. I know that the majority of my driving would be onroad and I'm looking at more of an expedition style set-up vs. rockcrawling or muddin'. What do you guys think :ban: ?

Chuck

I still don't understand why the 80 was dropped in 97 in favor of the IFS 100. Now I see ads for IRS in some full size SU's. The only trail ready rig sold in the usa is the Jeep Rubicon. I think it's great to build some SUV's for soccer mom's but where are the heavy duty TRUCKS? All I see is big cars on the market now. I think Toyota has lost site of what we are looking for in a 4wd vehicle.

Chris,

I agree... I would kill to get an 80 or 100 with solid axles and a nice diesel here in the states. I could live without leather and wood.

Chuck,
There will be tricked out 100's in the future but there are few out there today. I think there are several reasons why they haven't been accepted by enthusiasts as well as the 80s.

* First is the lack of accessories. Christo has a few things available but there are not many other vendors out there.

* Initial cost is another. The jump from a 97 FZJ80 to a 98 UZJ100 is about $8-$10,000.

* Next would be IFS and limited max tyre size.

* I believe the most important reason though is that the 80s are much better off-road due to the SFA and the availability of factory front and rear lockers.

* The supply of low-mileage unmodified trucks is still pretty good in most areas of the country.

* The US 80 series is also pretty luxurious as a combined DD and trail rig with A/C, power everything, leather, cruise, etc.

* The S/C is available for power comparable to the V8 in the 100 series.

In short, for most of us there isn't a compelling reason to select a 100 series over a comparable 80 series.

My 2c.
-B-

Beowulf,

You bring up some good points. That extra $8-10K could also go along way toward mods on an 80 as well. Is premium gas required to run the supercharger? That would make a significan't difference in my choice because of the gas prices here in southern California. Just curious, what is the max tire size for OME/sway-a-way lifted 100. Right now I couldn't really see myself going over 33" for the time being. I will definitely be on the look out for those modified 100s. I know that there are a few in the reader's rides section. &nbsp:Do any of those guys hang out here much?

Chuck

>> The jump from a 97 FZJ80 to a 98 UZJ100 is about $8-$10,000. <<

I just checked eBay and may have overstated this price difference. The difference is closer to $4-8,000.

The TRD S/C for the 1FZ-FE requires premium fuel.

>> Just curious, what is the max tire size for OME/sway-a-way lifted 100. <<

Don't know. Drexx runs 33's with a slight lift. He hangs on the LCML and sometimes on 80sCool.

-B-

I spoke to one guy down here in Tucson who wheels 3-3.5 courses w/ both an 80 and 100. His 100 is modified (front diff dropped 1", SAW t-bars, OME springs/shocks, traction control [no diff lock], 35s)...he claims it can wheel on anything an 80 can, and he's done climbs where fully locked 80s were spinning out all 4 wheels at some points while his traction control hung in there. I'd have to ride in both to believe it. For me, the live front axle's simpler maintenance and high reliability is reason enough to get the 80. He also says his 100 is much tigher than the 80, no creaks/groans during heavy wheelin'. Only disadvantage is the increased size, making some narrow trails difficult to maneuver, and the lower exit angle.

I have a 100 series.  31 inch tires work w/o mods, I have 31 inch goodyear ats tires.  For highway driving there is no comparision, the 100 wins.  The engine in the 100 is great, I think the 98-99 has like 220hp and 320 torque and a 4 speed.  I know the 03 models have a 5 speed and an increase in power.  The gas lid says premium, but I run regular w/o any problems.  Mine came with the factory rear locker, works just fine.  I have not done any real wheeling.  I did drive in 1 1/2 feet of fresh snow w/o problems.  The electronics are good, I didnt need to lock the center diff.  I took it into small mud pits, but nothing to really test it at all.  The rear articulation is comparable to an 80, I think it may be an inch more stock to stock.  The front is less capable, ifs.  The front is fully protected by plastic skid plates, and the usuall metal ones ofer the transfer case.  The stock clearance is 9.8 inches, and with my tires im over 10 inches. maybe pushinhg 11.  I have wheeled my 91, and I love the power increase the 100 has.  Its more fun in a small mud pit where u just wanna get dirty.  Spins tires easier, etc.  I have taken my 100 in some small ditches to play w/ suspension and stuff.  I got the center diff confused and had to lock the rear to keep goin forward, and it worked perfectly...I love lockers.  The 80 has WAY better stock bumpers for small collisions offroad.  I hate the plastic bumpers on the 100.  I miss being able to kick it and have nothing happen.

I would agree that there are limited products available, but what there is is high quality.  ARB has atleast 2 bars for the 100, slee has sliders and a 2 inch lift from emu (arb), and there is a rear bumper from TJM.  So there are products to outfit the 100, but they tend to be more expensive than similiar 80 series parts.

For onroad driving the 100 wins, offroad 80.  For expedition style wheeling I would say the 100 could handle it, esp with 2 inch lift and 33 tires.  It will def out perform similar suvs like z71 tahoe or  the such.  I am gunna stick my neck out and advise that if its mild-moderate offroad use, and 95% onroad use get the 100.  it is a great machine and you will not be dissappointed...better yet get u an full day test drive and hit up a trail...

-Matt  

ps..i am in readers rigs...the one w/o arb bumpers and the works

I have a '99 LC with OME Lift and ARB Winch bumper. Also, I run 285/75 R 16 BFG ATs. Next mod is front diff lowering and then add 305/75 R 16 MTs (basically 35's). The 100 is probably the last of the real LCs. I know you guys disagree, however the 100 is very stout and overbuilt. It actually weights more than a Sequioa. For my needs, as a family truckster, highway machine and off-road use it works great. The thing will run 90 mph all day long with ease. I have had 1 '91, 1 '92, 1 '95 and 2 '99's. The newer 100 is more suited to my needs. There will be more and more used ones as the yuppies trade them in for escamaldes, nastygators, assisators, h2 (male push up bra - modded tahoe) etc. I think it's great, get the best suv on the road for a reduced rate and there will still be a '04 model. Also, the active trac on the '01's and later really works and they make arb's for them. As more, more will be modded.

Biggest problem off road is that the trails are to narrow and draggin ass.

Sand and snow - No problem at all, it is fun spinning all 4 wheels.

On another note I did break the front diff carrier going up a very steep hill in low range. The middle of the diff, not the cvs. Toyota replaced it under warranty and I had the bigger tires and bumper on at the time. $3000 worth of work supposedly.

John Shotts can tell you all about modded 100's. He wheels a 80 and 100.

Here are some pics. The first pics are mine and are weak. The second group is JOhn Schotts and the third is drexx's pics.

http://www.pbase.com/roane10/inbox

http://www.pbase.com/roane10/js_lc

http://www.pbase.com/drexx/miscellaneous

Here they are!

I have a '99 LC with OME Lift and ARB Winch bumper. Also, I run 285/75 R 16 BFG ATs. Next mod is front diff lowering and then add 305/75 R 16 MTs (basically 35's). The 100 is probably the last of the real LCs. I know you guys disagree, however the 100 is very stout and overbuilt. It actually weights more than a Sequioa. For my needs, as a family truckster, highway machine and off-road use it works great. The thing will run 90 mph all day long with ease. I have had 1 '91, 1 '92, 1 '95 and 2 '99's. The newer 100 is more suited to my needs. There will be more and more used ones as the yuppies trade them in for escamaldes, nastygators, assisators, h2 (male push up bra - modded tahoe) etc. I think it's great, get the best suv on the road for a reduced rate and there will still be a '04 model. Also, the active trac on the '01's and later really works and they make arb's for them. As more, more will be modded.

Biggest problem off road is that the trails are to narrow and draggin ass.

Sand and snow - No problem at all, it is fun spinning all 4 wheels.

On another note I did break the front diff carrier going up a very steep hill in low range. The middle of the diff, not the cvs. Toyota replaced it under warranty and I had the bigger tires and bumper on at the time. $3000 worth of work supposedly.

John Shotts can tell you all about modded 100's. He wheels a 80 and 100.

Here are some pics. The first pics are mine and are weak. The second group is JOhn Schotts and the third is drexx's pics.

http://www.pbase.com/roane10/inbox

http://www.pbase.com/roane10/js_lc

http://www.pbase.com/drexx/miscellaneous

Nice picts, that's the kinda stuff I was looking for. thanks for the info. I might be emailing you guys with some more questions.

Chuck

uh,305/70/16's are "basically" 33" tires(same as 285/75/16 but 12.5 wide versus 10.5/11.0)
its the 315/75/16 size thats "basically" a 35" tire

and thats a big basic cause its a lot easier to run the 305's than the 315's(see christos article"so ya wanta run 35's)
well thats not the real title ::) but here is where its at: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_35.htm

good luck

doug

Hey Doug,

I meant to say 315's or 34.7 inches tall. John Schotts is running them with the lowered front diff and rear spring spacers. He has not mentioned any other isues.

Later,

Andrew

You'll start seeing some modded 100's soon. C'mon though, we're just now starting to see some 80's in the woods. Still too many of the modded 80's aren't in the woods yet anyway, so those solid axles are going to waste anyway. :slap:

Personally - screw all the griping about IFS - give me a 100 series and I'll throw either a dana 70 under it or some portals and be done with it. :slap:

Well guys,

I have been following this post quite some time and I guess it’s time for me to get involved. I don’t want to start anything but I own 100 series and I can hold my own with any “reasonably modified” solid axle rig out there. I have been going on trails with vehicle like Jeeps, LR’s and LC’s and had no problem following them. (~ 4 trail rating). My rig is geared more towards long distance expedition but it has been taking me and my family on these local trails with no problem. He IFS never stopped me from going anywhere. (I have a rear locker – you can see a picture of my truck and a mod list in the Readers Rig section of the www.ih8mud.com). The main factor the stops the truck is its size. Width more that anything.
If Toyota asked me what would be the changes for the next model, I would say: Reduce size, Diesel engine, and Live Axle. In this order.

Yes, I am the one that came up with the diff lowering scheme and when I find the right shock, it will allow for 1” increased travel (down travel). I am also working on gaining another 0.5-1 inches of ride (coil over shock assist) height in the front so the truck will sit level when its lightly loaded.

Sorry for the long post,
Doron.

Doron,

I appreciate the fact that you are paving the way for future 100 owners. I for one will be looking for your posts and anyone else posting anything about your current and future modifications and picts. Keep up the good work!

Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom