So now that you have had the FJ Cruiser for a few weeks/months..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 6 speed works really well off road, and for those times when you do stall on an obstacle the E-brake is very easy to access and is stout enough to keep you in place while you work the gas and clutch to get you moving forward again.
You realize the FJ comes with a feature specifically DESIGNED for this exact scenario?

I have had mine for almost 2 months now, not all that long, but... I will not be selling it any time soon... I sold a my Jeep to buy it and do not regret it.

I have never been so happy with a truck in my life. It has been a twisted love affair from day one. It is a perfect platform for aftermarket modifications and there is a huge selection of products available for such a new model. My only complaint is the plastic bumpers. I got rid of mine right away. Also, the factory skid plate is garbage. Weak and poor clearance. As for the visibility, I have no problems. For $1.50 you can get little fish eye mirrors for the side mirrors; these completely eliminate any blind spots. I never have to turn my head anymore. Bottom line is this is one of the sickest trucks ever produced. Just my opinion.

I love mine, even though people stare,
a couple of down sides mentioned earlier, stoping at a stop light you need to lean foward to see the light,
Can't open the rear window or door from inside (although I couldn't in my tahoe either)

Its simple to put a release on your rear door to get out from the inside. I hooked a small steel cable and improvised a tee handle and I tuck it in the rear net pocket. Helps when we sleep inside for overnight trips.

Last edited:
Had my black TRD for a year now...still love it, bulges in the engine bay and all!

GREAT truck. Can't wait for SNOW to see how the Firestone Destination MT's compare to the stock supplied BFG AT's...so far, they out perform the BFG's in every catagory.

New FJ Comments

Bought mine in July 07 and I'm very happy. After break in had to pick up some furniture in another state so rented an enclosed trailer. Loaded it was maybe 3500# give or take. The FJ was happy to pull all day at 75mph at 3000rpm. I would down shift by choice a little sooner than the auto would. If I let the trans shift itself I would lose valuable momentum when climbing hills, but once I figured that out I shifted my self and it pulls hard. The engine revs smoothly. Be aware that at 3000rpm under load the engine is loud (buy thats what the optional stereo was for right?) It has a definate growl and can get annoying after ten or twelve hours. Ok here goes -visibility- I was backing into my covered spot at my apartment one night, same place I park every day. When I came in this one day there was someone walking along the driveway so I waited for them to pass, but while I waited the truck rolled a few yards forward. When I back up I catch the white line for my spot in the right mirror and proceed in but this time I was a little to far forward. The whit line(s) are painted AROUND the poles that hold the structure up so the POLE was about a foot inside the view of the mirror. Well you can guess what happened after that $4000 worth of damage. At only normal back up speed I hit the pole and it caved the whole rear door in (Guess what ? the rear door is NOT crash proof ) The spare tire sticks out beyond the bumper so anything higher than that will hit the spare and that caves in the rear door. It caved in like a beer can...So I still love the FJ, its all fixed now and looking like new again but I DO NOT BACK UP UNLESS MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT. I have towed and used mirrors a lot and thought that the issues dealing with rear visibility were not going to be a concern, so enter the $4000 lesson. Nuf said.:crybaby:

I personally have no problems seeing out of the FJ. Fisheye mirrors eliminate the blind spot. Do you have the back up sensor? If so, did it not work?

We don't really have any issues since we added the fish eye mirror to the larger side views. The best $5 you can spend on an FJ in the city / suburbs. Beyond that, the back up sensors are great except out on the trail ( they go off too often for us). We are adding a back up camera with a new stereo after Christmas. They are pricey in thet combination but for under $200, you can go to Costco and buy a back up camera set up.
In the end, FJs are not cars so visibility can be an issue But no more than other trucks, Rods and sport cars we have had. Just look before you get in and take it slow, 10 seconds of caution can save lots of time and $ in the end.

Thanks for the tips but I'm over it, on to a decent roof rack now.

Almost a year and a half with the 6 speed, and the transmission is starting to shift funny, and my transfer case sticks in 4 low here and there. My FJ is an earlier one, so my R&P gears are suspect. So far, not stranded, and nothing blown up etc. Still, I am going to take it to the dealer and see about the trans and transfer. If I can't get peace of mind, I'll trade it in and solve all the problems at once.

it can be done

Well I must say that I am very satisfied with my FJ. I purchased the Silver model 4wd auto so the wife can drive it too. I have found that there is a fair amount of wind noise from the roof rack, and there is a lack of storage space for little things. The only thing I want to fix is turning off that annoying seat belt buzzer! The plus is it gets better gas milage than my ZR2. On a cosmetic note, I wish the corner windows were real windows like my 73 FJ.

you can turn off the buzzers...i don remember exactly how but something like 'car off but batt. on, sit in the set and hold down the seatbelt release for more than 10 sec. then on the odo., press and hold until something flashes and press unitle it says off'

look in the manual some where

My wifes has 3k on it and we love it.She says I can wheel it as long as I dont put any scratches on it that you can see :p So it has some rash on the frame,fueltank,underside of the front bumper, and other places on the underside.I drug the exhaust tip climbing a granite ledge up on Bald.She didnt like that noise :D It takes alot of getting used to having to actually pick lines.A little different than wheelin my 55 on 42s.But for being bone stock,this thing flat out rocks offroad.

And I gotta laugh at the poor visibility over the hood comments.You need to go wheel a full size Chevy :hillbilly:

performance on and offroad
Toyota quality
Durable washable interior
TRD Supercharger-able (will get in 08')

Dislikes:
Filthy dirty rotten rear axle gear oil and metal shavings at 29k miles:(
Rear axle won't lock in 4 high:(
MPG:(, of course I caused some of that with 285's and Revtek lift
Crappy stock speakers (all replaced)
Lack of interior lighting at dash area (map lights)
And the fact I had to buy a whole bunch of junk I didn't want with the vehicle: spare tire cover, running boards, fjammer, HAD to PAY for rubber floor mats:(:(.

I still love this vehicle, my favorite so far........

This initial review is a little different in that it is about an FJC that was acquired 'used'.
I purchased it with 25K on the odometer. Extra seat time and reevaluating my wants/needs changed my initial impression of the FJC and I decided to get this 'used' rig. She Who Must Be Obeyed's DD is the Xterra.

Yes, the FJC does have some visibility challenges. The back up sensor doesn't pick up low objects right behind the vehicle. It requires a little extra effort when backing up. No big deal.

My opinion on exterior styling hasn't changed. It is still o.k. , nice blend of retro and mod, but not great.

Knew the above from the initial test drives. No surprises.

On the plus side:

Rear doors, as expected, are turning out fine for the two of us(we use the back for stuff and our dogs). We'll probably remove the rear seat. The FJC was not purchased to haul people nor do we plan on sleeping back there.

Really like the look of the interior. Fun to be in. Big controls easy for my old paws to manipulate.

Excellent on road manners for a very capable off road, truck based vehicle.
Very quiet, smooth engine with plenty of power for freeway entrance, passing and mtn. grades.

Good build quality. After 25K it doesn't have all kinds of rattles, squeaks, leaks, etc.. Dash, panels, seats, etc. look new. Nothing is falling off or loose. After several Jeeps...Wow.

It is fun, makes me want to go play in the dirt, without the trade offs(lack of on road power, harsh ride, rattles, loose parts, etc.) of some other vehicles. A little quirky without the pain.

I am enjoying this site again after being away for awhile. Thanks for all the info.. You helped me in my choice of the FJC.

My 07 Black Cherry MT6 FJC is great! Can't say enough good about it. However, Dislikes are a few.

The reverse gear is too high and with the the high idle speed she backs up at about 5 mph. maybe more! It's hard to back into or out of a parking spot without slipping the clutch! You should try backing up a trailer!

My drive line has always (13k now) seemed like it has too much slop in the gears, hard to drive slow in city traffic or in a parking lot.

Now I feel better!:rolleyes:

Woodeye

re

I have had my FJ for 2 years now..I am a Mgr for a Toyota dealer so I had the 1st order in for the FJ..I usually trade my cars when they run out of gas,but the FJ is a differnet story,I have loved it from the moment I got it..

I told the wife I was only going to put a more aggressive tire on it when I got it..Well $12K in upgrades later its even better..

I have taken it everywhere from the Oregon coast to Moab and have not had one negative to say about it..

I will say there are too many on the road these days,including the ones that dealers(mine inluded) are installing all the after market stuff on them..Winches,lifts,bumpers ect and you know they will never see a lick of dirt..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom