Snorkel Sizing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I picked up some pieces to build a snorkel and a friend asked me a question that made me wonder. Does size and length matter very much? I thought that bigger would be better 3" all the way but he was more thinking that tapered to the carb or smaller all round was the way to go. And length I know that more bends are restrictive so what amount of air does it need?

Eternal 70 40 2f with the f air cleaner presently.

Does size and length matter very much? I thought that bigger would be better 3" all the way Eternal.

Better check with your wife on this one! :eek:

I asked her but she was not very helpful, but I see how it could have been misinterpreted. But alas the snorkel still sits waiting. Also K&N for filter or any other suggestions.

Eternal-secure in my manhood.

I would think that wider is better, because the air will be restricted anyway as it flows into the carb. If you reduce the resistance in the snorkle assembly, it will reduce any extra resistance the air will feel before getting to the carb, allowing max airflow to the engine. And we all know more air makes a happy engine. In my opinion, a wide, short snorkel will maximize the potential. I might be wrong on this though, might want a second opinion.

4" will give you about 80% more flow than 3".
I saw snorkels on BJs in Africa and most of them looked like they were close to 4", but diesels pull a lot of air and can't tolerate restriction.
I would think that 3" would work OK on a gas engine.

The major concensus I have gotten is bigger is better and I got a conversion chart for flow restriction so I can side my elbows and whatnot accordingly. Straight would be the best but visibility would be a problem(duh) and dips and the like only figure in as re the elbow calculations. Best of luck to me. Later

Eternal-goin for it on third down

Also make sure to have a big scoop facing forward on the end, kinda acts like a ram air.......more air=better vroom :D

Also be sure to have a low-point drain so you can get water out.

Also be sure to have a low-point drain so you can get water out.
I'm guessing this would be something you would plug when wheeling or have a one-way valve on since it would kinda defeat the purpose to have a hole at the lowest point of the snorkel wouldn't it?

I asked her but she was not very helpful, but I see how it could have been misinterpreted. But alas the snorkel still sits waiting. Also K&N for filter or any other suggestions.

Eternal-secure in my manhood.

Hehehe, reminded me of a phone conversation I had with the Spring lady 3 days ago. I somehow had missed a bill and was talking to the lady on the phone to make the payment to her. her computer was slow and taking for ever so she said, "I better do you manually, it'll get you off quicker." I started to chuckle then she chuckled realizing, in her embarassment, what she said!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom