Small propane bottles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMO, in a month or less the small propane bottles may be scarce and expensive, stock up for summer now.

I dont know why but where I am in Nor Cal they get all bought up pretty quick when camping season starts up. I always seem to find some between here and the mountains but all the handy spots to pick some up get sold out every week when season starts.

the little "disposable" ones (a la green Coleman affairs) are pretty costly to use now, it seems. I've seen them astonishingly expensive. But it's easy and likely much cheaper (at least in the longer run) to refill smallish real "refillable" ones instead by DIY. I would go that route instead. If space is really tight and you really can't use anything bigger than the original 1 lbers, it is possible to refill those too, but that may or may not be a safe thing to do, YMMV. But all in all, I prefer to use a bigger tank with a hose. I have a manifold with several outlets on it so I can run stoves, gas lanterns etc all at once, quite convenient.

There is buzz that they will become illegal in Kommiefornia.👇

......... I have a manifold with several outlets on it so I can run stoves, gas lanterns etc all at once, quite convenient.
Don't mean to shanghai thread, but thanks for sharing the manifold idea. Never thought about it until you mentioned it. I usually just switch hoses. I looked at some on eBay and the price looks reasonable. Is yours something like this?

The comments say: "DO NOT Worry if you just connect one grill on the adapter , it will be no gas leakage from other two." Don't know how they prevent an open fitting from leaking, but maybe with your experience you can enlighten us.

California is definitely banning the 1 lb propane canisters because they're not recycleble. I have also heard that many national parks will no longer sell them in their stores. In my opinion they are expensive and a huge waste of resources. A 1 lb canister costs about $6 at walmart; compare that to $25 to refill a 20 lb tank at U-haul. So those little tanks costs 5 times more in propane. What a ripoff!

I bought this:

and have never looked back. I refill them myself from my 20 lb tank.

California is definitely banning the 1 lb propane canisters because they're not recycleble. I have also heard that many national parks will no longer sell them in their stores. In my opinion they are expensive and a huge waste of resources. A 1 lb canister costs about $6 at walmart; compare that to $25 to refill a 20 lb tank at U-haul. So those little tanks costs 5 times more in propane. What a ripoff!

I bought this:

and have never looked back. I refill them myself from my 20 lb tank.
That's a neat little kit! But, I'd only use it on a refillable 1 lb. bottle. It scares me to think of someone trying this on a used up regular 1 lb. bottle. Oh, you may get away with it for a while. Propane is not something to fart around with.

That's a neat little kit! But, I'd only use it on a refillable 1 lb. bottle. It scares me to think of someone trying this on a used up regular 1 lb. bottle. Oh, you may get away with it for a while. Propane is not something to fart around with.

Agreed. But you can't stop people from doing questionable things. I only refill refillable canisters, which are more expensive but the break even point is only 5 refills.

80, no, the manifold I use is a tower type. A pipe about 2' long with several (3?) of the little 1 lb tank connectors on the way up and a hose at the bottom to connect to one of the 20 lb big connector screw affair. If fits on the larger tanks ring with a clamp and has a screw connector at the top for a lantern to stand up there. Practical. The reason why the individual connectors don't leak without an external valve is because they have an internal one that the little stub in the outer connector depresses to open the gas flow. Same as a gas bottle.

Although, admittedly, I have not used my gas lanterns in ages... LED lights and LiFeP nowadays...!

That kit up there is neat, but you really only need an inexpensive direct adapter between the tank and the smaller bottle (about $8). The former is a bit easier, though.

added: On a side note, I can't imagine those "content gauges" like above are very useful for propane tanks. It looks like just a pressure gauge, and since the propane is liquified, the pressure should stay constant until the liquid is about fully depleted. So I imagine that the gauge will show "empty" very abruptly when there is really nothing much left, so not much advance notice. (Or let me know if I'm wrong about that.)

To clarify, during fire restrictions I use a 20LB tank with the tower and the propane fire pit, the tower has 3 spots to hook up, works great.
Since Rubithon is usually under fire restrictions if the opportunity arises to have fires I prefer to bring the 1lb bottles.
I am definitely looking into the refill kit & refillable bottles.

I have looked into refilling the little "old-style disposable" guys. I have seen some severe swelling of some bottles after (a few?) refills. Must surely depend on the bottle quality, but that did not inspire confidence overall since you can't tell beforehand. I would not do that with the proper refillable ones available at around $15. This is highly flammable stuff, and overall not worth the risk, IMO.

Curious, though: Is there an expiration time on those 1lb refillable bottles like on the big guys?

About the manifold, I do think the tower manifold does lose some of its appeal if you don't use a gas lantern on top, though. And I would prefer having one extension hose from the big tank to a multi-outlet manifold then rather than having it all on the tank itself.

[edited for clarity]

Last edited:
IMO, in a month or less the small propane bottles may be scarce and expensive, stock up for summer now.
I encountered that a few times last year.

the little "disposable" ones (a la green Coleman affairs) are pretty costly to use now, it seems. I've seen them astonishingly expensive. But it's easy and likely much cheaper (at least in the longer run) to refill smallish real "refillable" ones instead by DIY. I would go that route instead. If space is really tight and you really can't use anything bigger than the original 1 lbers, it is possible to refill those too, but that may or may not be a safe thing to do, YMMV. But all in all, I prefer to use a bigger tank with a hose. I have a manifold with several outlets on it so I can run stoves, gas lanterns etc all at once, quite convenient.
I do both> I have a 5# and a larger one, but often as not I just bring a few of the 1#. it's just easier sometimes. I have the distribution tower as well, I really like it.

Pro tip: if you have a lantern mounted on top of the tower, there's enough gas left in the tower to run the lantern for about 15 minutes after you turn off the gas valve for the night.

:cool:

I have looked into refilling the little "old-style disposable" guys. I have seen some severe swelling of some bottles after (a few?) refills. Must surely depend on the bottle quality, but that did not inspire confidence overall since you can't tell beforehand. I would not do that with the proper refillable ones available at around $15. This is highly flammable stuff, and overall not worth the risk, IMO.

Curious, though: Is there an expiration time on those 1lb refillable bottles like on the big guys?

About the manifold, I do think the tower manifold does lose some of its appeal if you don't use a gas lantern on top, though. And I would prefer having one extension hose from the big tank to a multi-outlet manifold then rather than having it all on the tank itself.

[edited for clarity]
Good question on the certification issue, my two 5 & 10# cyls need to be recertified and it's kind of a hassle finding someone who does it. I've been refilling the 1# cheapies for years, no issues. Agreed on the swelling, I've seen it a few times. Bernzomatic seems to have the "best" quality bottles, from what I've experienced. A friend of mine has had one explode in his truck before (a pickup), so fair warning, especially for those of us who store these things inside their rigs.

what happened to cooking ove rthe fire ?? Dam shame aint it........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom