Small Generator VS Inverter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ranma21

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.februarydesign.com
Hey Guys, any of actually use a small generator such as Honda EU2000i for power needs during expedition or camping use instead of converter?

I've not seen folk use a generator camping (longer trips) for years now.

Solar works well, modern panels are very impressive. Dual batteries are good for more extended stops. Use 12V items where possible which is more efficient than having to take 12V to invert to 110/240 and then back down to DC to charge/run a tablet, phone, etc.

I use a small inverter (100W level) for the rare times I use my laptop. Though now pretty well all my mapping needs are catered for by a tablet, so the need of the laptop has diminished greatly.

Long trips in oz are mostly in diesel 4wds, so a typical small petrol generator is a pain from a fuel perspective anyways. Most longer stops in the bush would require wasting fuel and then dealing with additional noise. A common solar panel with reasonable sky can provide 100W per hour for many hours per day.

Most small generators only provide 8 - 10A DC so pretty inefficient for directly charging vehicle batteries without also taking along a big charger, more weight. Plus need of additional fuel, more weight. All takes more cargo volume.

What do you actually need 110/240 for while camping - i.e. what are YOUR needs specifically? Mains powered electric blanket?

cheers,
george.

I have a Honda EU1000i that I take on trips, not all my trips, but certainly the long trips and the trips when I bring my large LED overhead DIY camping lights for group camping. Quiet, uses little gas, it is the gold standard of small 'suitcase' sized generators.

Its all application driven.

I wouldnt mind having one to take along at certain times, but I really dont have any AC items.

I say this, why not invest a mere $250 or so instead of $800, and get a 100w panel and decent charge controller. This is what I did 4 years ago and right now Im sitting on a sunny beach charging my two batteries as I type to you. It was totally cloudy all morning but I was still getting most of the rated output anyway.. which is right around 7 amps at 14v+. Thats a good charger and about the same as the Honda 1000i.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks for chimming in. Reason I ask because if I were to run an ac or heater unit, it will be handy =) Otherwise the solar panel, charger and battery is no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom