SOLD SM420 index ring wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ksemerdjian

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone know where I can get a SM420 index ring for a F bellhousing? I've called extreme bends and they don't have any in stock, he said he will search his yard incase he has one laying around. I wanted put some feelers out meanwhile. Thanks in advance.

Extreme bends has been the only place to get them I've ever seen. A simple but excellent/essential product.

I hope you can get this. SM420 in a 40 is the best thing ever. And an SM420 + Orion is about the best an FJ40 will ever get.

Extreme bends has been the only place to get them I've ever seen. A simple but excellent/essential product.

I hope you can get this. SM420 in a 40 is the best thing ever. And an SM420 + Orion is about the best an FJ40 will ever get.
I agree with the SM420 comment. I currently have an SM420 in my 40 and it performed beautifully. I learned of the index ring after I installed my trans and wasn't going to drop it again for the ring but I have a trans leak I have to take care of so this time I'm doing it right. On a side note, I'll never use Fel-pro gaskets again! Hope someone has one laying around that doesn't need it...crossing my fingers.

I had difficulty sourcing an index ring also. Ended up buying advance adapter pt#716078. Which is an indexing ring for a 420 into later model gm bellhousing. ID is correct, OD is advertised as 5.25 but measured 5.13 iirc. Had a buddy turn the OD down to fit the 5.03 3sp bellhousing. It’s $27, alluminum and still requires modification, but it at least gets you in the neighborhood.

I had difficulty sourcing an index ring also. Ended up buying advance adapter pt#716078. Which is an indexing ring for a 420 into later model gm bellhousing. ID is correct, OD is advertised as 5.25 but measured 5.13 iirc. Had a buddy turn the OD down to fit the 5.03 3sp bellhousing. It’s $27, alluminum and still requires modification, but it at least gets you in the neighborhood.
Thanks, I forgot to take the post down. I've decided to swap a V8 in the cruiser so I no longer have a need for a index ring.

No idea if they still offer them, but IIRC back in the day BTB used to offer one as well.

What are your plans for the 6cylinder?

No idea if they still offer them, but IIRC back in the day BTB used to offer one as well.

What are your plans for the 6cylinder?
Hi Mark, I figured I'd put it up for sale and see if I get any interest in it. I left you a message on your shop line about a Con-ferr can mount adapter I found on your catalog #200-0513. Is that item still available?

Just a little throwback memory from when I put the 420 in my 68 with an F engine, but I made my own using a stick of key-stock.

We tacked it to the bearing retainer, just off of 12 o'clock, then heated it with an acetylene torch & SLOWLY bent it around; giving a slight tack at 3, 6 & 9.

Finally trimming it just perfectly with a cut-off wheel to mate back at 12.

A little touch up with said cut off wheel & she was nearly perfect.

Keep in mind, this was back in the mid 90's, so there weren't a lot of choices & one didn't have the luxury of hopping on Google finding someone who made it already.

Hi Mark, I figured I'd put it up for sale and see if I get any interest in it. I left you a message on your shop line about a Con-ferr can mount adapter I found on your catalog #200-0513. Is that item still available?

Sold the last one last year. Had the tire carrier plates repop-Ed to make my own batch, but never finished them

Sold the last one last year. Had the tire carrier plates repop-Ed to make my own batch, but never finished them
If you end up finishing some please let me know. I have the bracket for the gas can and a home made adapter but it looks funky. Thank you Mark.

You can't see the adapter but it's not adjustable and with a 10.5 wide tire it's almost touching the tire. I plan on running 12.5 in the future so this one will definitely not work, the con-ferr one I believe is a 10" adapter and looks adjustable if I'm not mistaking.

Screenshot_20200714-131253_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom