Sluggish, flooding, smelly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 78 2F stock carb and dizzy, has been running poorly. Timing is good.

Symptoms:

- Flooding after shut down. Need WOT to start motor. Wants to stall for about two mile after restart.

- Very smelly exhaust during acceleration and deceleration.

- Poor acceleration.

Seems like its running rich. Smells rich. After I shutdown the motor the fuel bowl drains after about 5 minutes. Fills back up quickly upon restart and is right in the middle of the sight glass. After about 2 miles, it runs fine besides the smelly exhaust and poor acceleration.

Any ideas?

Could be a bad needle. If you have a fuel pressure gauge you should check that as well.

Matthew

I'll check that.
What other things could cause the bowl to empty into the manifold after the engine is shutdown?

Last edited:
Is your choke operating correctly? If its not it could cause it to be rich but it would run poorly as well once you got it started. You may try adjusting it.

Matthew

I think I may have fixed the sluggish/smelly problem. The vacuum advance line to the dizzy is not the right size. I am pretty sure I am not getting full advance on acceleration. When I lube the line a little I am getting full vacuum and the smell is not as bad.
The biggest improvement came when I finally welded up my exhaust and routed it out the back. It was routed directly under the driver.

Now, I need to figure out why it floods when I shut the engine down for 10 minutes. It only really happens after trips of more than 20 minutes when everything gets a chance to get heat soaked.
BTW, my carb fan is working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom