slowing blend door needing lube? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few times recently I noticed that in the morning my A/C wouldn't blow cold when its turned full cold. It just cranks more and more heat like its trying to get more cold but giving heat by mistake, if you turn the knob to mid range it stops blowing, then turn warm it blows warm of course. After driving maybe 30 minutes, the A/C was able to kick on just fine, and blew cold when set cold.
So, I'm thinking its a blend door or another actuator that's responsible for shifting heating to cooling. I'm afraid of it getting stuck hot on a road trip.

I see mention of looking in the passenger footwell. Can I try greasing it without taking dash apart?

What's the outside temp? The AC won't kick on on my rig until it's up to operating temp when it's super cold out even if I set it to max cold. Not sure if the manual knobs , earlier models have similar workings. Also not sure if what mine is doing is considered normal.

What's the outside temp? The AC won't kick on on my rig until it's up to operating temp when it's super cold out even if I set it to max cold. Not sure if the manual knobs , earlier models have similar workings. Also not sure if what mine is doing is considered normal.
When I first noticed it, it was ~25F outside, and I just bumped the knob the wrong direction. The second time I noticed, it was around 45F outside.

The issue with that idea is, why does the blower speed increase more the farther I turn it down? It's like its trying harder, instead of just shutting off as an override of some sort.

Anyways, I got down in the passenger footwell, and yeah you can actually see a lot of moving parts up in there doing their thing when you switch from cold to hot and back. It didn't seem to be binding, but it was a warm day and not acting up. I sprayed some white lithium grease on up on everything and we'll see if it helps. If it's the actuator motor itself, it looks like its sitting right there on the outside, it *might* be able to be removed with a few screws, if you have some small screwdrivers you can cram in there.

Just like many home ac units, ac will likely not run under 55 outside temp until a heating cycle. Depending if set to auto, or fresh air or recirc also plays roll as your outside air can handle the request. Ac will run/ light on with defogger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom