Slow Drip in Sun Roof (Not Drainage) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. I don’t think I have a leak… more just curious. All my other cars have had a direct sunroof drain these meander a bit going to the rear!

Mine had been leaking forever and finally jammed part open where it wouldn't open or close. I had to buy new cables and the brass tubing (over $1000, old was impossible to free up), and take apart and clean the motor, re-sync it, etc. and of course drop the headliner. In all a real pain. When I got it all back together I adjusted it according to the FSM and surprise, no leak. It now works like new (at 24 years and 336,000 miles).
My recommendation would be to try and adjust the sunroof to get it tight before I added any sealant or whatever. That part is easy. And you might be surprised.

I am unable to open or tilt my sunroof, so I cannot check the drains. I can hear a small motor noise when switching between 'tilt' and 'open' buttons, but nothing moves. I am assuming that is a major mechanical repair of the sunroof. I'd rather spend that $$ somewhere else and just seal it up.

If was was to attempt a repair, I am guessing the headliner has to be dropped to gain access to the mechanicals, yes?

I am unable to open or tilt my sunroof, so I cannot check the drains. I can hear a small motor noise when switching between 'tilt' and 'open' buttons, but nothing moves. I am assuming that is a major mechanical repair of the sunroof. I'd rather spend that $$ somewhere else and just seal it up.

If was was to attempt a repair, I am guessing the headliner has to be dropped to gain access to the mechanicals, yes?
Glass can be removed by popping off the black interior trim and removing the 4 cadmium plated nuts. The entire glass will then lift straight up off the truck and you can clean your drains.

Yes on the mechanical repair, likely stuck cables and headliner needs to come down to access and remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom