sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the joy of meeting and camping with Steve Schaefer (guy who is sonoran steel) when he came East to wheel a few years ago. I and most others on the trip quickly came to the conclusion he is a tool of the highest order. He was a complete smartass who tried his best to break a truck lent to him to drive for the weekend. Based on my first impresison I would not purchase anything from him. Perhaps he has changed but I doubt it.

Last edited:
John Smith said:
...quickly came to the conclusion he is a tool of the highest order. He was a complete smartass who tried his best to break a truck lent to him to drive for the weekend. Based on my first impresison I would not purchase anything from him. Perhaps he has changed but I doubt it.

Wow, glad I asked.

We built some sliders for my 4runner using 2x2 square tubing. Made three mounting points to the frame(including notching out the body). Have worked well. And there cheap.
2004-07-19_163959_2.jpg

Stubbs makes Sonoran sliders but they are Steve Schaefer design.

http://www.stubbswelding.com/

The quality of the sliders is very good as they are made by Richard Stubbs who is a class act and I have never heard anything bad about.

I don't know Steve S but most people either love or hate him?

trailcarnage said:
I am sorry to hear that Stubb's is involved with him. I can't imagine that it is great for their business.

LOL, like I said, don't know Steve S. but Stubbs has a solid reputation for quality and service though. Business makes strange bedfellows sometimes.

I know of another person who had built up a solid reputation;) and moved on?

****Cough Tom Cough**** Yeah that company made some real kickass stuff then they just disappeared..hmmm

calamaridog said:
I know of another person who had built up a solid reputation;) and moved on?

ATLRoach said:
****Cough Tom Cough**** Yeah that company made some real kickass stuff then they just disappeared..hmmm

Financial situations really ruined me for the past year. I finally sold my home and got back on my feet. The revised skid plates are going out for quote this week. Hopefully, I will be back in business before July. Cross your fingers for me. :) I will be back for you guys soon.

Heck yeah that's what I want to hear... Fingers crossed.

Hey Tom how about some 79-95 t-case skids?

Steve schaefer the person is an acquired taste for some. But in this case the person and the product are separate entities and I will not comment on the person.

The Sonoran steel products are top notch and I've never heard of a dissatisfied customer. I can say this with some confidence because I'm a moderator at yotatech and like to think I have my finger on the pulse of the forum. We've got a feedback section at YT and here's a thread about his stuff: http://yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=39854

Also a review for richard stubbs:
http://yotatech.com/showthread.php?t=54890

Last edited:
Are you looking for sliders for the 4Runner or Cruiser? If the 4runner, check out Roger Brown's @ 4Cralwer.com. Very nice design, stout and will be gracing my truck as soon as I get the $$.

I am interested in sliders for my FJ62 but I posted up here becuase Steve schaefer at Sonoran steel typically sells mini truck stuff. With the 62 one of the legs that attaches to the frame needs to have a creative bend to accomidate the cat that is on the outside of the framerail. I contacted Schaefer about those and he said that they would have to be specially made but would be the same price as the 4runner sliders. I need to sell my 4runner before I buy anything for the Cruiser.

John Smith, I have no idea who you are and I believe I have never met you. I do not remember spending any time with anyone with an FJ-40 in Virginia.

Unfortunately you have your story completely wrong. If you would like to contact the gentleman that loaned my both his 91 Mini PU and his 97 4Runner as well as his girlfriend as a co-pilot feel free to contact him.

His name is Ace Lacerna and here is his e-mail: AtypicalBehavior@aol.com

Tom of TrailCarnage, Ever since I met you face to face you have done nothing but bash me on the internet. Let’s put this behind us and move on, we both make some great products and since myself and Mike Nevitt are no longer making skid plates, I have personally referred many customers to Gadget. I am sorry that you took my and Ryan Taylor’s "little frat boy" banter the wrong way. We like to go back and forth, hence all the Ryan Taylor questions I asked you face to face.

As for the sliders they are outstanding, they pushed the truck off of so many rocks on our recent Rubicon run. This in turn saved countess body damage on this legendary trail.

If anyone has any question about the products fee free to contact me. As for the web bashing lets stop that right now and move on.

Last edited:
Steve,

PM'd ya.

Others,

To clarify my earlier post, I was not bashing Steve's products. He does build some trail worthy goods. My comments were simply directed at his personality. :grinpimp:

sschaefer3 said:
Tom of TrailCarnage, Ever since I met you face to face you have done nothing but bash me on the internet. Let’s put this behind us and move on, we both make some great products and since myself and Mike Nevitt are no longer making skid plates, I have personally referred many customers to Gadget. I am sorry that you took my and Ryan Taylor’s "little frat boy" banter the wrong way. We like to go back and forth, hence all the Ryan Taylor questions I asked you face to face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom