Sleeping room? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If possible I wish to sleep in the back of the 80 I'm looking for. What is the lenght available when middle seats folded down and back seat removed?

Mike Stevens

Get a drawer system from Slee. :D

Remove the third row seats entirely. :cool:

Remove second row when needed. :D

Get the extension board and wah lah queen sized sleeping area. :eek:
Picture 008.jpg

You don't need to remove the back seats to make a bed. Make a platform that's the right height and the extension can fit over the folded down back seats. The space below the platform can be fit with drawers for your tools and odds and ends. The platform is supported by light angle bars welded to a rectangle shape and bolted to the floor. The platform itself is made of half inch plywood covered with a rug type material and held to the rectangular support with velcro.

I have the bed described, but without the drawers. I didn't have a great deal of use for it as a bed and it served primarily to hide my small things beneath it. I've since removed it but keep it ready for times wherein I might need one on a trip. I'm 5'8" and able to lie full length on it.

BTW, by back seats, I meant the middle seats as I don't have the third row seats. I see that others have similar constructions. It's possible as a DIY.

Kalawang

I routinely sleep in my stock 80 and I'm 5'10". With the middle row folded and the third row folded, I can easily sleep diagonally but not straight fore and aft. With two, you'll need to remove the 2nd row, which then gives you way over 6 feet fore and aft. When I've done that, I leave the third row in and folded so if the need arises during the trip I can still carry 5 people properly belted in.

DougM

LX_TREME said:
Yes there are JDM kit available but cost you around $1500.00 USD click the bottom of the page for further info:
http://www.mp-house.com/flatkit/4x4parts_fk_lc80/4x4parts_fk_lc80_m_1.html

That doesnt even look all that comfortable ..... and for $1500 :eek: I'd be thinking rooftop tent or some nice drawers from Slee and an Engle. In fact, I think MOT could get reclining hinges for the 2nd and 3rd rows for WAY less then that, not cheap, but not $1500 and it accomplished the same thing.

The problem with reclining seat set-up besides the comfort would be having stow your gear somewhere else each time you set up for the night, pain the in the butt if you ask me.

Montana Cruiser said:
That doesnt even look all that comfortable ..... and for $1500 :eek: I'd be thinking rooftop tent or some nice drawers from Slee and an Engle. In fact, I think MOT could get reclining hinges for the 2nd and 3rd rows for WAY less then that, not cheap, but not $1500 and it accomplished the same thing.

Glad to see someone was thinking exactly the same thing I was. :D

Montana Cruiser said:

Bro, I just showin and lettin you guys know how the kit looks like and how much
it cost, i didnt tell you to get it lol :flipoff2: beside the reclining hinges only 2 small pieces and of course WAY MUCH CHEAPER :doh:

LX_TREME said:
But i was sad :frown: someone put the TURBO sticker in wrong spot thou... :flipoff2:

At least I have a turbo. :flipoff2:

And there is a reason I placed them there you just don't know what it is :confused: . Shocker.

Montana Cruiser said:

The problem with reclining seat set-up besides the comfort would be having stow your gear somewhere else each time you set up for the night, pain the in the butt if you ask me.

I've installed the 2nd row reclining hinges from Mot and mod'ed my 3rd row to also recline. It doesn't form a flat bed in the reclined position like the bed setup posted by LX_TREME. The bed setup posted by LX_TREME also has sliders to move the 2nd row seat bottoms forward, in addition to the fully reclined (flat) seatback hinges.

I believe the Honda CR-V EX also has fully reclined seatback that forms a flat bed.

S**t! I thought the middle seats folded flat so whole back was a flat be area.

Then if I need to camp in Baja I don't need a truck this big. Is there a smaller Toyota with the same quality, life span and reliability as the 80 that can carry six pasangers?

MH_Stevens said:
S**t! I thought the middle seats folded flat so whole back was a flat be area.

Then if I need to camp in Baja I don't need a truck this big. Is there a smaller Toyota with the same quality, life span and reliability as the 80 that can carry six pasangers?

Well they sort of do, the back of the middle seat folds foreword flat on the seat, and then the whole assembly can be flipped up against the front seats allowing you to use the space occupied by the middle seat

Search on Ebay I am sure someone posted pics of them flipped foreword.

If there are just 2 of you can remove them pretty quickly and it leaves a flat carpeted deck

And yes, there's a Toyota that has the same quality, life span and reliability as an 80 that can carry 6 passengers. It's an 80 with one of the third row jump seats removed...

DougM

IdahoDoug said:
And yes, there's a Toyota that has the same quality, life span and reliability as an 80 that can carry 6 passengers. It's an 80 with one of the third row jump seats removed...

DougM

That's a 5 seater unless you're counting the non-US poverty pack with the front bench seat :)

IdahoDoug said:
I routinely sleep in my stock 80 and I'm 5'10". With the middle row folded and the third row folded, I can easily sleep diagonally but not straight fore and aft. With two, you'll need to remove the 2nd row, which then gives you way over 6 feet fore and aft. When I've done that, I leave the third row in and folded so if the need arises during the trip I can still carry 5 people properly belted in.

DougM

boooyoww.....exactly the way to go. :grinpimp: Drawer systems, extention boards ect....... too much, just take the middle row out and yer' done.

Mike, if you will carry 6 people why is it so important to sleep two in the truck?? I recommend option 2 below with the tailgate open but you need to go look at an 80 to understand the advice you are getting:

1. the middle seats fold twice. First the backs flip down flat against the seats, then you can also pivot the whole seat forward on the front mounts at which point it tucks down into the foot well right against the back of front seats.

2. If you do both, you have a big cargo area but the middle seats tucked in against the front seats cost you about 10" of potential headroom. One person can sleep diagonally if they are under 6' and you can put a kid or two on either side. Optionally, two people can sleep comfortably if you fold the lower tail gate down and yse a tarp or mosquito netting with the closed upper tailgate (depending on your climate). A hosepipe test has shown that you can pinch a tarp in the upper tailgate and close it and drape the tarp over the open lower tailgate and you will not get wet inside if it rains. bungee cords will keep the tarp in place. This will work with the third row seats in place and preserves the 8 passenger capacity of the 91-94 80 and the 7 pax of the 95-97 (3rd row centre belt removed).

3. if you just fold the seats flat, you can build up the area behind the middle seats with a plywood shelf the same height as the flattened but not tucked middle seats. You can then sleep 2 people comfortably without opening the tailgate. If you want, you can also add drawers underneath this platform for storage and an extension piece that slides over the folded down seats to make the bed more level, but you don't have to do this just to sleep. You can buy the platform retail from Slee or make it yourself out of plywood. Adding drawers will significantly increase your cargo capacity. Note however, that if you add a platform you cannot use the third row seats so you become a 5 seater.

4. You can also remove the middle seats completely and store them (easy to do) and use only the third row seats like a VW van. This way you do not lose the headroom taken up by the tucked in middle seats. This will make you a 5 seater (you'll have to buy a middle rear seatbelt if you get a 95 or later) but you can easily sleep two folks in the back with no modifications at all.

5. You can add a rooftop tent/roofrack combo.

6. You can pack a tent.

As for seating count, I was assuming he wanted a vehicle that can carry 6, AND one he could sleep in. My comment was that he could have a 6 seater if he bought an 80 and removed a single 3rd row seat. Then it will seat 6. Get it??

Removing the center row was actually one of the smarter things I've done and it was quite spontaneous. Bring a couple of extra pillows to fill the 2nd row footwell cavity. I tossed a soft duffle bag there and put my pillow on top. Worked a treat. The trip was relaxing with plenty of space to stretch out. When I later needed to carry a couple people, they thought having reclining seats (third row seatbacks move a bit), sliding side windows, and all that legroom was pretty cool.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom