Sleeoffroad Sliders and Skid plate long term review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

For those wondering if spending the money on @sleeoffroad products is worth it, Here is a quick write up on how things stand after 12 years of abuse.

Quick history: Slee skid, step sliders and ARB installed in 2004 by @BROKEROB1 --Cruiser had ~100k on it and lived in York, PA. Rob used it as a family Wheeler with no lift and went to Paragon and Rausch Creek A LOT. I bought the 80 in 2009 with 165k on it and used it a half dozen times at Rausch Creek, a few times with the capital land cruiser club in the George washington National forest, and a couple times wheeling in the Fredericksburg area with @Skrewball and the guys from IPOR. In 2011 or so, I put on a set of medium TJM springs (also from slee) as I was tired of scraping over EVERYTHING at RC. Moved to California for 3 years and bashed in on the rocks out there a handful of times, but not a whole lot of use. Moved to Virginia beach in 2015 and have made the last two Logan's runs with ONSC, as well as a handful of back country, light wheeling trips. So, all that to say, the armor has seen plenty of use as I am not shy about using it as intended.
IMG_20171117_161938703.jpg

This is the passenger front corner--note the gouges and the silver dollar sized depression--that was courtesy of me misjudging a rock and turning into it too quickly while going faster than I should have been--I was amazed at how little it damaged the slider after the impact that I had felt.
IMG_20171117_162010154.jpg
IMG_20171117_162034485.jpg

This is the support arm protecting the Cats--If I had one thing to change, I'd say that a plate here might be useful, but it would also keep the heat in and make the floor hotter so I have plans to add one. As you can see, I have done a bit of a number on those welds as I hit this spot pretty often. 30 mins with a wire brush and a welder will make this as good as new--there is plenty of metal left and it is still plenty strong. You can also see the old style slee transfer case skid in these photos--still as strong as ever and I have yet to be able to even bend it. I know the new design is different and better by all accounts. Also, take note of the front control arm mounts and the bent rear control arms--I tend to hit things on rocks sometimes:D
IMG_20171117_162102701.jpg

Passenger rear corner, nothing but a few gouges.
IMG_20171117_162147257.jpg

Driver side rear. Note the deeper gouges here as I am a bit more aggressive when I can see the rocks I am running into. Also note the missing mounting u-bolt--This mount is one of three on the driver side. It has been broken since 2010 or so after a just perfect hit up at RC. I jacked up the 80 via the rear part of that slider and it didn't deform, so I haven't bothered getting a replacement--I keep meaning to contact slee for a new one, but it just hasn't been a priority. i have taken 18-24 inch drops onto rocks on that side and the slider has never pushed up into the body.

More to follow...

IMG_20171117_162157943.jpg

More gouges and evidence of a rattle can touch up I did a few years back.
IMG_20171117_162246796.jpg

Still straight as an arrow with one dent from a particularly hard hit...
IMG_20171117_162339326.jpg
This was a hit from this year coming down Dickey Bell at Uwharrie--It was significant but not nearly as hard as the slider hits--you can see how much the ARB deformed comparatively.
IMG_20171117_162403148.jpg
This was from a climb at RC--I was surprised how much this deformed as it didn't feel like that hard of a hit. The ARB was from Slee also, but not built by them obviously.

So then, you can see that the slee step sliders are in a completely different league compared to the ARB--A little wire brushing and paint and they will be serviceable for many years to come. Many thanks to Christo and his crew for outstanding products and service through the years!

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:
That arm under the cats is a rock grabber and the failing welds show either improper welding, design, or both IMO. I imagine theyve considered revising it as even repeated hammering shouldnt fail like that.

The sliders from Crusin Off oad have a slick plate of flat steel covering the cats with the leading edges rolled up to slide over. That cat area looks like a rock grabber, not a slider.

Yep to rock grabber. I had Slee step-sliders & Hanna's - Hanna's FTW, has a cat guard w/o any spots that grab.

Slee was one of the early ones, not badmouthing - put 'em on the Tundra just b/c even it should have structural boards. And I hate those active running boards (PO installed).

Yep to rock grabber. I had Slee step-sliders & Hanna's - Hanna's FTW, has a cat guard w/o any spots that grab.

Slee was one of the early ones, not badmouthing - put 'em on the Tundra just b/c even it should have structural boards. And I hate those active running boards (PO installed).
Right. White knuckle have the same slidey ramp plate thing too.

That arm under the cats is a rock grabber and the failing welds show either improper welding, design, or both IMO. I imagine theyve considered revising it as even repeated hammering shouldnt fail like that.
I don't think that you can make a weld that will hold up to 6,000 lbs hitting it 400+ times and not show some wear. That said, it does seem to attract rocks but I prefer that to a hotter passenger floorboard. For those who have a plate there, do you notice the passenger floorboard heating up more?

Also, I am not sure if the other sliders mentioned here are step sliders--these could certainly have a bit more clearance but they have been great for my kiddos to use to get in and out of the 80. I have 5 and my youngest is now 7. I may swap to something tucked up a little higher in the next couple years.

The white knuckle sliders are the only ones I've seen in person. Just put them on a few weeks ago. Not many miles yet. However, I didn't notice any extra heat and neither did the passengers. I also rode passenger for a couple hours. It's not that big of a plate. Oh and the front and back of it is ramped.

I don't think that you can make a weld that will hold up to 6,000 lbs hitting it 400+ times and not show some wear. That said, it does seem to attract rocks but I prefer that to a hotter passenger floorboard. For those who have a plate there, do you notice the passenger floorboard heating up more?
Sure you can. Its the peeling action thats a problem caused by that design

The white knuckle sliders are the only ones I've seen in person. Just put them on a few weeks ago. Not many miles yet. However, I didn't notice any extra heat and neither did the passengers. I also rode passenger for a couple hours. It's not that big of a plate. Oh and the front and back of it is ramped.
Got pics? I am considering adding a plate when I repair those welds

Looking Good Dan, Im rocking the same sliders and still have no complaints but plenty of dents, gouges and a good bow to one of them.

Wait.... Design Flaw...vendor bashing ?!?! Man how times have changed huh @concretejungle ? :lol:

What a great update, Dan! One of my regrets in 41 years of life... selling that rig... but, eased a bit by the fact that you're family has gotten so much use out of that 80!

I've got Slee's step sliders on my hundy now and they just WORK!

What a great update, Dan! One of my regrets in 41 years of life... selling that rig... but, eased a bit by the fact that you're family has gotten so much use out of that 80!

I've got Slee's step sliders on my hundy now and they just WORK!

Thanks Rob! We have definitely enjoyed it--current count is almost 250k on the ticker and she runs great!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but what makes Slee's sliders only compatible with 95's to 97's? (I know 91 and 92 have major differences, but what about my 1994?)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but what makes Slee's sliders only compatible with 95's to 97's? (I know 91 and 92 have major differences, but what about my 1994?)
The cats in the later years are double cats and they stand perpendicular to the ground. It kind of sucks actually because they are taller and armoring them ends up reducing ground clearance considerably. You are better off with the earlier exhaust, as it also goes over the frame rather than under it. Just look up White Knuckle Off-road. They make great sliders for your rig, some of the best in fact. Don't give it a second thought.

The cats in the later years are double cats and they stand perpendicular to the ground. It kind of sucks actually because they are taller and armoring them ends up reducing ground clearance considerably. You are better off with the earlier exhaust, as it also goes over the frame rather than under it. Just look up White Knuckle Off-road. They make great sliders for your rig, some of the best in fact. Don't give it a second thought.

Much appreciated! I will check out their sliders.

One more question for anyone that sees this: I'm configuring sliders from White Knuckle and I'm not sure about the front control arm drop brackets. An OEM 2.5 or 3" would not require drop brackets, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom