Skinnies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lentelconstruction.com
Right now I am running 33" 12.5" BFG's on the 16" rims. I am considering going to 35" skinnies. Anyone have pics they can post of skinnies on their truck? Feedback on the performance?

There's a fairly lengthy thread in expedition builds on tall & skinny's, lots of pics and descriptions of various setups.

Thanks. I'll check that out.

I vote for more pics.

I'm about to outfit my OME stock height car with tires. Considering skinnies but hard to find photos of skinnies on stock height, plus info about what people are using for spacers.

I would love some more photos of stock height trucks, skinnies, with and without spacers.

I'm running 34x10.50s and they are great off road, although I haven't been able to use them as much off road as I would like. They aren't horrendous on road, but they are bias ply tires and that is to be expected. I wish I had gone with Qs, but there is always next time.

My junk is already around here somewhere, but here you go, although only 33s.
80Sideview.jpg

Q78-16 would be nice. I'm running 38.5x11-16 boggers. Not the best tire for Colorado, but they have been fun.

Greentruck

My junk is already around here somewhere, but here you go, although only 33s.

Greentruck--

I like your junk. :lol:

Do you have any front/rear/angled shots? Are you running spacers?

Q78 are great, 35x10.5 is a great sizr too, if you are looking for a radial. Pizza cutters are the way to go, if you are not into HUGE, LONG, BOTTOMLESS mud hole or DEEP snow (3'+), then you need gobs of horse power and wide tires.

There is zero point in running skinny tires for regular wheeling in the sense of improving offload performance. I have run both, and there is no way I would want less rubber on such a big rig. Of course, a 37x12.5 is relatively skinny. And I do like the Q78 - just a cool tire size.

There is zero point in running skinny tires for regular wheeling in the sense of improving offload performance. I have run both, and there is no way I would want less rubber on such a big rig. Of course, a 37x12.5 is relatively skinny. And I do like the Q78 - just a cool tire size.

If you were an axle you might think different! Tall skinny tires put a lot less stress on your rig in all conditions. They are better on fuel, and "push" a lot less in the thick stuff. I wouldn't recommend them for a desert (which it appears Nat lives or wheels) as you need wide, less agressive tires for the sand, BUT, in mixed conditions, nothing is better all around than a Tall Skinny.

Greentruck--

I like your junk. :lol:

Do you have any front/rear/angled shots? Are you running spacers?

aboisvert,

It's easy on the eye for junk:)

Not running any spacers. The wheels are Toyota OEM steelies. Dan and beno run them and can get them for you. Ask for 42601-60361.

Here's some shots with more of an angle on them. The only thing that's a little off visually is the width of the mudflaps, which is only apparent when looking at it from the rear. Not a problem for me.
2011RoadTrip1.jpg
RigArrivalAtHRB1.jpg
EchoCampFront-5.jpg

Elegua: Are the pictures of the 80s in Canaima??

I thought 9.00R16 were equivalent to 36in tires??

I wouldnt want to have those military tires on any vehicle other than one strictly used 100% in mud and dirt

If you were an axle you might think different! Tall skinny tires put a lot less stress on your rig in all conditions. They are better on fuel, and "push" a lot less in the thick stuff. I wouldn't recommend them for a desert (which it appears Nat lives or wheels) as you need wide, less agressive tires for the sand, BUT, in mixed conditions, nothing is better all around than a Tall Skinny.

This^^^^

7.50r16 were standard on a lot of cruisers. Those are the real skinnies. The standard 'fat' tyres on better spec ones were 10.5-11 inch wide.

7.50's are about 31.7 inches tall.
8.25's are about 33.6 inches

i've never seen a 9.00 on a 16 inch rim. On a 20 inch truck rim though, they are about 40 inches tall.

900-16's are a about the size of a Q78. Just a little skinnier at around 8" of tread width. They are usually about 36" tall. STA superlug is one example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom