Sideview mirror question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser804

SILVER Star
Threads
Seems like the DS sideview mirror, glass only, is vibrating excessively, at least compared to the PS. Is there a way to tighten this?

I haven't check FSM, wondering if anyone knows.

Search "shakey mirror" or something like that. I know there are posts about how to fix it.

IIRC, there is a phillips (sp?) head screw in the bottom of the mirror assembly, and if you remove it the glass should come out. Once you get the glass out check and make sure all the screws are tight. That should take of it.

Cool, I'll seach. I saw a couple holes in the bottom of the mirror housing. Not sure what they are.

Try the phillips on the bottom first...that corrected most of my shake.

There are various stages to this failure. Do a search on shakey mirror before you go messing with it. Find the pictures of the fix so you know what's going on inside.

If your tabs are about to break, tightening the screws will just break them off the rest of the way. You can save some effort by epoxying them back on before you lose them.

Cruiser804;

Here's what I've done; get some styrofoam (non-crumbly type) and cut some shims to fit around the mirror. That will hold the shaking to a minimum until u get around to fixing same. I've been using this for a few years - yea, lazy.

Be careful in tightening the phillips screw on the bottom. Its purpose is to secure the tri-point mounting system inside. Over tightening will break the plastic threads inside.

See:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=83177

And there are other threads on this as well.

A new mirror assy is around $110.00.

I had the same issues, I took out the lower screw, took out the mirror and put a few dabs of silicone in the inner frame/mirror support, reinstalled mirror. Mirror stopped vibrating and is fully functional. I had added the silicone as tightening the screw did not help much.

Thanks guys.

I have had a chance to dig into it yet. I think I'll at least pull it out an see whats doing inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom